Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SR: SKI WALES - 2017/18 Winter Season in the Brecon Beacons & Snowdonia National Parks

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

1 first descent on pretty technical terrain with big conseqences.

Take care out there.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict wrote:
Not 100% clear from the pics (due to the spraying powder Laughing....) but are those touring skis/bindings? (Could well be pin bindings on the heel?)

You didn't walk up did you?

Majesty Local Hero twin tip park / all-mountain skis
Dynafit TLT Bindings
Dynafit TLT 5 Boots

Walked up, skiis on back.

Ground saturated. Soaks the skins in no time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cad99uk wrote:
Quote:

1 first descent on pretty technical terrain with big conseqences.

Take care out there.

Thanks.

Always do. Picked my way down. Didn't hammer it. Snow was surprisingly kind.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great work, @Mike Pow. Needs a little more cover to tempt me off the MTB Wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sharkymark wrote:
Great work, @Mike Pow. Needs a little more cover to tempt me off the MTB Wink

Cheers. Had worse 😉

Drove by today, not a flake left 😞
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers Mike Pow.
Quote:
Walked up, skis on back. Ground saturated. Soaks the skins in no time.
<That's what we found yesterday at Weardale - couldn't believe how soaked the ground was. The skins kept gathering about 4" of snow underfoot - to the point where the skis were becoming unliftable!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict wrote:
Cheers Mike Pow.
Quote:
Walked up, skis on back. Ground saturated. Soaks the skins in no time.
<That's what we found yesterday at Weardale - couldn't believe how soaked the ground was. The skins kept gathering about 4" of snow underfoot - to the point where the skis were becoming unliftable!

Yeah.

In the almost 60 days I've skied in Wales over the past decade I've only skinned about half a dozen times.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
...I wouldn’t mind betting the majority of those were in 2010!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sharkymark wrote:
...I wouldn’t mind betting the majority of those were in 2010!

Yep 09/10 and 10/11 👍

Last couple of winters have been good with 5-6 days each winter. Not bad considering I'm away for much of it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cold front heading our way Thursday into Friday (7th and 8th).

Snow showers for 8th and 9th, snow-forecast calling for around 10cm on Sunday 10th December.

Monday looking settled, sunny and cold. Could be the day.

But watch the forecasts (links in first page) because we've had a couple of false starts / no shows already this winter.

Keep everything crossed 👍
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a free day on Sunday but suspect conditions will be ‘inclement’
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
police have already put warnings out about parking on the roads around brecon.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sharkymark wrote:
I have a free day on Sunday but suspect conditions will be ‘inclement’

BBC Wales Weather calling for the storm to hit tonight into tomorrow now. Met Office and snow-forecast still showing the main precipitation on Sunday.

We'll see.

Heading out tomorrow to have a look and will report back.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr.Egg wrote:

Good.

People are so thick and ignorant with a massive sense of entitlement these days it makes me sick.

Book anyone who parks like a lady's front bottom and/or obstructs emergency vehicle access. They'd be the first to bleat if it affected them.

The National Trust have spent time and money landscaping the Pont-ar-Daf car park area and erected permanent bollards to prevent roadside parking at a very busy junction.

I expect 4-wheel drive cars to flagrantly ignore these bollards and park nose in 90 degs to the road.

The bigger the car the bigger the lady's front bottom.

You wouldn't turn up to a movie or shopping and block someone in / block the road. So why is it acceptable in the mountains?

Get there early.

Or drive on to hundreds of other wonderful sites in the Brecon Beacons National Park & S Wales Valleys.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

Good.

People are so thick and ignorant with a massive sense of entitlement these days it makes me sick.

Book anyone who parks like a lady's front bottom and/or obstructs emergency vehicle access. They'd be the first to bleat if it affected them.

You wouldn't turn up to a movie or shopping and block someone in / block the road. So why is it acceptable in the mountains?

Get there early.

Or drive on to hundreds of other wonderful sites in the Brecon Beacons National Park & S Wales Valleys.

I totally agree. That road is not the best of roads in good weather, let alone having stupidly parked cars either side & slowing down traffic even further.
There is also proved plans for the future to make the carpark hold 200+ instead of the 50 odd now.
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

Good.

Get there early.

I totally agree. That road is not the best of roads in good weather, let alone having stupidly parked cars either side & slowing down traffic even further.
There is also proved plans for the future to make the carpark hold 200+ instead of the 50 odd now.

Yes. And not before time.

It'll be paid parking or free with National Trust membership.
snow report
Skied Fan Fawr today.

Looks like tomorrow will be better. Snowing well.
ski holidays
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcdQ9zdHO9T/
ski holidays
Shropshire hills should be good - 8 inches in Bridgnorth and currently sunny.
ski holidays
FRIDAY 08 DECEMBER 2017

A FAN DANCE
Not 'The' Fan Dance yomp around the Central Beacons but a short walk up and ski back to the car park of Fan Fawr.

Fan Fawr is the peak and ridgeline on the other side of the A470 from Corn Du, Pen-y-Fan and Cribyn overlooking the reservoir.

The weather was all over the place - from sunshine and clear skies to full on Arctic blizzard with 50m visibility

Not a deep covering but surprisingly consisent and rock free!

VIDEO

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcdQ9zdHO9T/?taken-by=mikethesnow

IT'S A SMALL WORLD
But I wouldn't like to paint it!

After skiing Fan Fawr I stopped to watch a family sledding on the lower slopes next to the car park.

Turns out the mum, Jayne, was a fellow Snow Japan forum friend.

Originally from Swansea, she, her husband Tony and son Ioan were over from Singapore to see family.

Ioan hasn't snowboarded before, but he was cruising the slopes on his sled like a champ.

Hokkaido next winter!

Ioan

ski holidays
think its snowed everywhere in Wales except here Sad
latest report
SATURDAY 09 DECEMBER 2017

POWDER IN THE HOLE!

A fantastic morning in the Central Beacons Massif with a beautiful sunrise and soft, dry snow top to bottom.

The drive from Llandeilo to the Pont-ar-Daf car park was a bit hairy with heavy snow and white roads the whole way.

But once on the mountain it was plain sailing with low wind and excellent visibility.

Skied the south face of Pen-y-Fan down to the foot of Cribyn; hiked to the summit of Cribyn then skied the East facing ridge; Cribyn down to the foot of Pen-y-Fan; and to finish off Cefn Crew back to the car park.

VIDEO

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcfj-hqHfCm/?taken-by=mikethesnow

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcfkspAHvCE/?taken-by=mikethesnow

More snow forecast for tonight and the NE Face of Pen-y-Fan is looking very inviting.

latest report
@Mike Pow, is the entrance blind? I guess you side slip or climb down where that figure is looking?
latest report
Sharkymark wrote:
@Mike Pow, is the entrance blind? I guess you side slip or climb down where that figure is looking?

Depends on how much snow has fallen.

First time I did it I was abseiled in.

Second time I did it I downclimbed in boots.

Third time I did it I skied in

http://youtube.com/v/7dRtT5tAQJ0&t=149s

Been snowing all day, so won't know until you're above it.

And unbelievably it may not be on because of too much snow and avalanche risk Shocked
ski holidays
Apparently Sennybridge had the most snowfall anywhere in the UK today at 33cm. I guess it’ll be higher than that on the tops. More than enough to provide a dangerous situation! 😳
snow conditions
Sharkymark wrote:
Apparently Sennybridge had the most snowfall anywhere in the UK today at 33cm. I guess it’ll be higher than that on the tops. More than enough to provide a dangerous situation! 😳

Wow.

Yes could easily be double that in drifts up high.

And certainly steep enough terrain for snow to move.

Thankfully there's ample lower angle terrain with no terrain traps to enjoy.

Might even get some face shots 😱
snow report
Right I’m heading for Pen y Fan tomorrow Tuesday aiming to be at the Storey Arms at 9ish. Never skied in Wales before any advise welcome and happy to tag along if anyone else wants to.
ski holidays
Nice feeling today to make my skinning debut on my local hill Smile Far too tight for time to enjoy as much as I would have liked but still a beaut of day up from Storey Arms.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Deibitto, good work 😎
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, Cribyn looked fun Smile Not sure about Pen y Fan. Perhaps leashes next time? wink Do you know what the gradient is on that face?
snow report
@Deibitto, nice one Smile
ski holidays
Chamcham wrote:
@Mike Pow, Cribyn looked fun Smile Not sure about Pen y Fan. Perhaps leashes next time? wink Do you know what the gradient is on that face?

Didn't get to Cribyn. Tomorrow or Wednesday.

Almost vertical at the entry point. Mid 40s maybe
ski holidays
@Mike Pow - money, as always.
ski holidays
pleasehelpme wrote:

? Puzzled
ski holidays
@BertieG,
hi heading to pen y fan in morning looking to set off from pont at daf carpark, just down from the storey arms car park, more of a gentle walk up, at around half eight to nine company on the walk up be great.
snow report
pleasehelpme wrote:

Cheers
latest report
Hyst wrote:
pleasehelpme wrote:

? Puzzled

Thumbs up to the pics and vids
latest report
Embarassed
Sorry, haven't been using Snowheads much since my old account locked a while back...have been reading TGR much more and it's showing Laughing
latest report
@Hyst, I think it's a derivation of "on the money."
@pleasehelpme, Welcome to the English language wink (or perhaps Welsh, in this thread).
snow report
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy