Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2017/2018: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
nickyj if your kids can do reds then the reds off peclet were in ex snow condition and sheltered for the most part. Plein sud good just before lunch. Our girls instructor said tomorrow much better🤞
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Orelle valley was lovely this morning, with lots of grippy snow in amongst the drifts of powder on piste.

Unfortunately getting back was truly horrible. The wind literally blew me over, coming out of the top station of the Rosael lift.

We are going to spend the afternoon lapping the Peclet gondola, as this seems to have been the best bet for the last few afternoons.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tomj, thanks - Andrew took girls back and I went there with my Dad, lovely run down christine then headed back to come up Cairn.... to find slope roped off and ended up with the long walk backup the slope to the hotel.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We skied all around Courchevel yesterday, lovely winter snow and hardly any wind. Similar today, went down to St Martin on Jerusalem then back over to Courchevel and the wind only hit us on Chapelets.

Only problem is they were warning of closing links. My friend who is a seasonnaire over here says it is due to be less windy tomorrow.

Lovely snow everywhere though and so quiet.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, how is your mother?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
She had her fit to fly now. Which is good news. She is being treated to a coq au vin by HappySkier / Masque tonight.

A random passing transfer driver stopped this morning while she was struggling to the bus stop to get back to medical centre and offered her and Dad a lift and took them to the door. How lovely of them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickyJ, well that all sounds encouraging, and kind of the transfer driver.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Crashed around Courch today starting at 9 from La Praz. Snow grippy most of the way round and we managed to beat the bounds of the local lift pass. Highlight for me was probably beside the Suisses piste. And the Combe de Saulire was probably in the best condition I’ve known it. The ridge was closed though as was the Creux Noir chair. Looks like it hadn’t been running for some time.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@altis, creux noir chairlift has some cracks in supporting platforms apparently ! Agree the snow is the best I’ve seen

https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/2018/04/09/creux-noirs-chair-closed-for-the-season/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had been proper snowing for the last three hours and zero wind. We are due a good day tomorrow so here's hoping....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some nice skiing in the 3V now the crowds have largely gone, but good spring snow is a rare find as the temperature is barely falling to zero overnight. Found a few lovely pitches above St Martin and encountered a fox and a chamois, which made the struggle to reach the lift station worthwhile.

After a sprinkling of snow last night, today might be the last decent day for a while as temperatures look to stay high.

Some sizeable slides under the Olympic Express lift, triggered by the gasex by the look of it, have mangled the ladders at the base of the lift pylons.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
creux noir chair was closed when I was there last week too, although I don't miss it, you loose half a day waiting for it to get to the top Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Mr P’s view from Masse 2 lift about 20 mins ago.
Yours truly is sitting in wet and miserable Coventry . Shocked
I have asked him to torture me with condition report and photos.
Arrggghhhhhhh!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The snow last night has really helped freshen the runs up which had been completely scoured by the winds. Sun is shining winds has dropped massively- absolutely lovely conditions on piste.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Heading out tomorrow on the EoSB!! Wildly excited is an understatement!! Laughing

When I've been to VT previously, there appeared to be some sort of piste grooming rotation with some runs not groomed every day?
Is there a way of working out this rotation or is publicly advertised somewhere? (I think the interactive map sometimes has orange egg timers to indicate something due for grooming?)

I ask because my back is a little sore and i'll be taking it easy the first few days and not attacking moguls!! Laughing
snow report
The interactive map has a button which highlights all the pistes that have been groomed.

Orange egg timers mean the lift or piste is due to open but isn't yet. E.g. Due to avalanche control or 3V links temporarily closed due to wind.
snow conditions
Snowcover in La Tania is fantastic for so late in the season.

But expect some rain.

Enjoy the EOSB. Will keep an eye open for you folks.
latest report
@Whitegold, you gonna come say hello?
ski holidays
@NickyJ,
Quote:

Sun is shining winds has dropped massively- absolutely lovely conditions on piste.

Just what we wanted to hear, especially after some of the challenges your family has had this week. Hope it all finishes on a high snowHead
ski holidays
Great day today, still winter snow on the higher runs and slush not that bad lower down! Lots of moguls this afternoon.

Got some nice tracks though

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PHFXvYvE8LrLP4jE2
snow report
Some lovely powder on piste in VT this morning, now all packed down and grippy - a blessed relief after the polished ice of the last couple of days.

Orelle valley felt warmer than VT, and the snow was a little heavier.

The south-facing Plein Sud run back into VT at the end of the day was the usual churned up sugary snow and slush that you would expect of an afternoon in April.
ski holidays
Had a fantastic day skiing with family from La Tania to Pointe De La Masse and back, taking in pockets of lovely light snow above around 2500m en route. Excellent late season conditions.
snow conditions
@balernoStu, we did exactly the same!! Small world.
snow report
@kitenski, ha! Unusual for us to stray from the Courchevel valley, with our boys looking to lap the Family Park for a good part of each day, where I agree with @altis that Combe de Saulire has been in the best condition I can remember it too.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 14-04-18 8:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
As other have said, yesterday was a blessed relief in VT. Still breezy but great snow and beautiful sun, warming up. Skied around vt and la masse. then mrs Hound got hit by another skier in the afternoon and ended up with concussion and no memory of the accident. The rest of us had skied on 50 m after chatting at side of piste to choose the next lift, turned around and we could not see her. Walked back up the hill to see her staggering across the slope and then lying on the floor behind a cannon. She'd remembered enough to say that a lad had hit her, his father helped her up and thought she was ok so skied on...five minutes later she'd forgotten everything and had no idea where she was and what had happened. I think she had set off without looking up the hill and got hit by someone coming down. Fortunately a helmet saved her from anything more than memory loss and a big headache....
latest report
@snowhound, omg!
snow report
@snowhound, make sure you get her seen by a doctor. She should be on blood thinning drugs for a few days and under observation from family.

Concussion can sometimes kick in a few days after the original event and blood clots are a potential issue.

I've been knocked unconscious skiing and was groggy for days afterwards.
snow report
@Raceplate, cheers, yes will do. Back in uk now. She didn't lose actual consciousness as far as we can tell. I've played/coached/refereed plenty of rugby for years to recognise concussion when I see it!!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Did a general Saturday hoon around the 3V's today; 15,000m of vertical. Was going to go to VT first thing but got distracted by the west side of Meribel that was lovely first thing. Ecureil, Bosses, Roc de Fer and Gelinotte all pisted and fun. Probably my last chance to ski through the trees into Meribel this season. Went through LM and into VT afterwards.

VT was still very windy this morning but had dropped by about 3pm. Snow in Orelle very good, Mauriennaise in was as good as ever. Was surprised at how wet the snow in VT at village level is - needs the freezing level to drop. Reckon that altitude for altitude, the best snow is still in Courchevel but of course you can go higher in VT. Still winter snow at the top of the Cime Caron, Peclet etc. Suisses in Courchevel still excellent at 4.45pm.

Should be good for those on the EOSB. For those with a 3V pass, it's definitely worth the effort to do Mont Vallon mid morning and the upper runs in 1850. Check the interactive map for which blacks in 1850 have been pisted each day and ski those. Suisses in particular has been astonishingly good these last couple of weeks - the top half is like end of January snow rather than April. LT closes tomorrow night so tomorrow is also the last chance to ski the tree runs into LT and Le Praz.

For the first time in a long, long time, I heard almost exclusively French on chairlifts today - I guess that'll change from tomorrow! Made a pleasant change. Have never seen so many people in LT for the last weekend of the season, a lot of French seem to have come out for one last hurrah. It's good to see the support from them.

Dare say I'll be out for another hoon tomorrow... will be looking for those yellow helmet stickers. wink snowHead
ski holidays
Just an update on the above. Having seen the open lift list for Courchevel from Monday, it looks like most of the best stuff will be inaccessible. If you get chance tomorrow, I would strongly recommend skiing Suisses, Jean Pachod and/or Chanrossa, Cave des Creux, Bouc Blanc, Lanches, and Folyeres before they're gone.

After three pretty thin snow years, seems almost criminal to be closing when the skiing is still so good. Sad
snow report
@Raceplate, is La Tania closing if they are closing Folyeres
ski holidays
@stevew, yes shuts tomorrow

Still great winter snow to be found high up around Courchevel, even got some fresh tracks off Pyramides this afternoon !
snow report
@stevew, yep, tomorrow is the last day of full 3V access. I've already changed my plans. I want to make the most of these amazing end-of-season conditions. Will spend the day skiing around Courchevel/Meribel and then a relaxed lunch in St M. From Monday I'll be skiing VT via a Mottaret commute.
snow conditions
Would anyone with local knowledge of the medical services around the 3Vs area be kind enough to have a look on my thread in the injury forum please?

In VT on EoSB with torn Achilles & fractured wrist Sad
snow report
@Raceplate, Saulire is open isn't it so you could get across to Pylones, M etc and down to Meribel? Also Pralong so Suisses can still be skied according to this link https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/2018/03/22/confirmation-of-end-of-season-lifts-pistes/
ski holidays
@kitenski, yes you can get across to Pylones and M from Saulire but not Suisses. None of the lifts that access Suisses are open. Pralong takes you to the Suisses chair, not the run. Marmottes, Suisses, Vizelle, all shut. Chanrossa too.

Whether they will still prep Pylons and M is to be seen. I haven't checked Meribel but it's usually only Mottaret that is still open in the last week. Hope I'm wrong!
latest report
@kitenski, I've been in Meribel most of the morning, suppose I should have asked a liftie! The Chaudanne is a ghost town and they were clearing away all the kids area stuff on the west side so for sure that's closing. I think Brides les Bains is still open next week though so they will have to keep Tougnette open for people to access Mottaret. Maybe Saulire Express too. I'm going back out in a minute, I'll see if I can find out.
latest report
Ok, some very good news! Went to speak to a Meribel liftie and she said the current plan is to keep everything open until at least Friday. Even the low lifts to Village, Altiport etc. She also said it is the first time they've ever done it. I was wrong about Brides though, that is definitely closing.

Makes Courchevel's decision to still do reduced opening even more disappointing. Sad
latest report
I seem to recall that you can get across to the top of Vizelle from Sauliere by taking the track over to it that also allows access to Pylones. Did it once when Vizelle wasn't open and then did Suisse.
latest report
the seasonnaires in La Tania were thinking Courchevel and maybe even LT were going to extend their opening, but given the lack of people last week I guess they decided not to!! If I saw 10 people in front of me on a lift I thought it was busy Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy