Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2017/2018: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
Heading to courchevel on Sunday. Hoping the rain clears up. Keep the updates coming over the next couple of days please!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shits and giggles. Thinking about the escapade route. Do I have to start in la Tania? Staying in meribel montarret so from the pictures it seems I can start by heading to courcheval and be in VT later in day when we get more tired, making for an easier bail out zone if needed.

It's a solid first lift to last lift expedition isn't it? Gotta convince my partner (14 year old daughter), which may be a challenge. Looks fun tho!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.bergfex.com/meribel/wetter/

Some freshies for next week?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like it @Redwine, I'm a bit worried about the drop in temps though given the rain of the last couple of days ... moist snow and cold temps are a bad cocktail (lower down anyway).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Driving up to meribel from Lyon in a few hours. Anyone with any road intel?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any intel from the slopes too? Did the rain cause much damage?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@franga, rain has turned back to snow at Arcs 1800, so if you're out for the week I would't worry. Good weather is supposedly imminent.

@Redwine, delays around Chambery but otherwise roads coping well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alastair, thanks. We are in the 3Vs next week. Enjoy, looks like Tuesday be snowy too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Alastair, thanks Alastair, that's cheered me up 😊
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Now safely ensconced on ferry home.

Left last night at about 1700hrs in heavy snow.

Snow was heavy below 2000m but temps were dropping and pistes generally in great condition. I suspect today will be awesome for those who arrived yesterday.

All in all a great week. We got everywhere except St Martin, Couch 1650 and Le Praz. Runs of the week were under the Lac Noir chair in the sun on Tuesday after the snow on Monday, and messing around in the La Tania trees.

Didn't seem as busy as previous Feb half terms, drive down was easy even hitting Moutiers at 1130hrs last Saturday traffic moved the whole time, didn't really queue for a lift at all the entire week.

New Moraine gondola in VT very nice but I do miss freezing half to death on the old chair as the freezing gale blasted down from the col.

Couloir Tournier ( now the GoPro Couloir (!)) was in great condition.

Only another 12 months to go til the next trip.......
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jonathancarty wrote:

New Moraine gondola in VT very nice but I do miss freezing half to death on the old chair as the freezing gale blasted down from the col.

I don’t miss it, but miss the fact that it used to put a lot of people off, leaving the run a bit emptier. I haven’t been yet this season but am anticipating Moraine being busier on even those freezing days.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pretty good conditions today above 2200m, with a good 40cms of fresh in the Saulire couloirs. Not super light but fun...

Below that was 'soapy' on piste until below about 1600m where it turned to nice spring-like slush all the way down to Bozel - great skiing (though I preferred the super-cold snow of last week...)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Absolutely fabulous day in 3v today. Yesterday was a bit challenging visibility wise so didn’t see mountain much. Today!, bluebird.

Me and my daughter were all over VT and the villages on that side of 3v. Didn’t do the same run twice and kept finding fun things. Lots of decent snow off trail, cut up bit not horribly so. Even found some fresh tracks, amazing 1 day after. I don’t even know where to go, just thing I see from chair and trails.

This is possibly one of my favorite places. And have been fortunate tonski a lot of fun places.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

jonathancarty wrote:

I don’t miss it, but miss the fact that it used to put a lot of people off, leaving the run a bit emptier. I haven’t been yet this season but am anticipating Moraine being busier on even those freezing days.

Got stuck on that lift 3 years ago for a very very chilly 25 minutes, followed by (potentially due to the cold) one of the best soups I've had on a mountain in the restaurant near the top of the lift!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Going out for the fifth time on Thursday. Hoping for a few days of unbroken sunshine to top up the vitamin D.

So lots of snow until then and below freezing during the day please Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Looks like the weather is getting interesting at the beginning of MArch
snow conditions
@dan100, do tell more. I go march 10th. Seems to be going pretty cold for the next 7 days or so.
latest report
Out in the 3Vs at the monent, staying in La Tania. Piste conditions above 1,600 - 1,800M are absolutely superb. Lovely crunchy snow. I said to Mrs F earlier that the last time we had such great snow to ski / board on was in March 2012 in Whistler (record snowfall month for them). Even though this is HT week for us Northerners we’ve only had to queue at a handful of lifts. Jerusalem has been regraded this year, it’s still a cracking run. Sun is out tomorrow after a mostly cloudy day today.
snow report
Had a cracking start to the week in courchevel too. As everyone says, The pistes are in excellent conditions. Managed to make the first lift out of 1650 this morning and it was well worth it.
As we have small kids with us we're taking it in turns to do our duty on the homefront. Which means the time I do get on the pistes is usually on my own. So if anyone is at a bit of a loose end as well and wants to knock around the slopes for a couple of hours this week let me know!
snow report
im going to meribel on 10/03 with friends but am looking a day or two off piste in a group. any recommendations for a good company to use. PS im not willing to skin when only going for a couple of days.
snow conditions
@mk28, in Meribel I would heartily recommend Marmalade.
snow conditions
Hi all, can someone tell me if you can ski down to St Martin via roc de fer and olympic on blues; and if yes, how does it compare with the Biche for difficulty?

Ta

CG
latest report
Still stunning conditions in Courchevel at the moment:

@mk28, Marmalade may have open groups, if not try the Guides bureau...
ski holidays
Charliegolf wrote:
Hi all, can someone tell me if you can ski down to St Martin via roc de fer and olympic on blues; and if yes, how does it compare with the Biche for difficulty?

The blues Verdet and Biolley down to St Martin from Roc de Fer are fine; for nervous skiers probably slightly easier than Biche as there isn't a long straight steep pitch. Faon or Choucas to get back to Meribel are a bit steeper, but still blues.
snow conditions
@ecureuil, Just the answer I wanted. Wifey is really coming out of her shell, now being an old hand at Meribel-Courch-Meribel runs, having been a gondola queen for a while. Now we want, gor the first time, to get into the VT side and back too.

Thanks a lot.

CG
ski holidays
@offpisteskiing, great thanks ill give them a go. dont fancy paying 300 euro for a morning with a private instructor Shocked
ski holidays
Gina try them too end March -thanks!!
snow report
Very enjoyable week in Meribel. 5 Things I've learned:

1) Parallel Lines is an awesome ski school. The progression with my kids has been unbelievable. My daughter's instructor was the absolute spitting image of Karl Pilkington but happy Laughing

2) Taking my 12 year old son into Couloirs for the first time and steep skiing with him is seriously great fun

3) La Ronde Pointe is the worst restaurant I've been to in any resort, Slow service and w*nk food.

4) I've still only scratched the surface of the skiing here and need to come back next year even though I'll always love Austria more wink

5) Everyone keeps raving about Jersulem on here and I can see what the fuss is about, cracking run with the kids
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree with what everyone has said about the past week in 3v. Above was really good, mid mountain gets scratched off pretty quickly and returning to Monterrat near end of day wasn’t fun on any day.

This place is massive. Tried to get around as much as possible and think we did a pretty good job at exploring all 3 valleys.

Highlights were the off piste touring with scgb. Only 4 of is with an ifmga guide. Only managed 2 runs, but they were long one and ended up with a restaurant pick up near st Martin.

Of our own exploring, best snow was high up well above VT. All the stuff off the Caron tram, and then higher to the bouchet chair was great. Was able to figure some off trail routes from chair, but the real exploring requires local knowledge, which I was not willing to risk on my own. But still decent powder to be had even a few days after the storm.

Also massive fun around moriond. Same off trail observations, but it seemed easier to find side country powder not that far off the chairs.

Queues were generally ok, but we did have some long waits at time (especially the Caron tram). The piste were busy by my experience, somewhat dangerous near the end of the day.

Went to see fireworks at courchevel as suggested (thank you SH!). Possibly best firework show I have experienced. Dinners out were ok, nothing spectacular for us, typical ski resort meals. Ironically Had better mountain lunches.

Thanks for all the help in understanding this massive resort. Hope to come back soon.
ski holidays
Cold air continues to dominate proceedings - pistes have been excellent in the mornings, a bit scrapy in the afternoons. Down to Bozel its getting a bit firm (though the worst bit is the mid section of Brigues in late afternoon...), but still good skiing.
Off piste is starting to get well tracked unless you are prepared to put in a bit of legwork, in which case there is plenty to go at still...

The forecast is for very cold temps this week (lows of -15 or less) so in the absence of new snow that will keep the existing cover in great condtion!
ski holidays
Anazing week in the 3Vs but also frustrated to see so many headless idiots skiing recklessly fast, without helmets but with headphones and on Face Time (yes, that’s right) ... 1 such idiot nearly took our 10Y old out on Combe Saulire 😡 yesterday. I tried to chase him to give him an earful but I gave up as he carried on skiing like a complete prick and disappeared into the distance.
snow report
Did somebody say 'cold'? It was COLD!

However that can be mitigated against (extra layer + heated socks + big gloves did the job very nicely), the poor visibility on the other hand was a little more 'trying' today, with the ceiling of the sea of clouds coming up really high over lunchtime early afternoon and only dropping very late afternoon...

Still some good cold snow to be found on Northerly aspects but you definitely need to go walking/skinning for it now!

Due to be even colder tomorrow according to meteofrance!
latest report
Snow forecast saying -23 to -25 with a windchill -32 at the top of VT today!

A mild -16 to -20 in the town.

Brrrrr....
ski holidays
Great photos @offpisteskiing, look's fun! Very Happy
snow conditions
Can any of the regulars on here help. I am trying to find a reasonable priced one or two bed apartment to rent for a week, 17 - 24 March 2018 in Les Menuires. I have tried the tourist office web page and cannot find anything at a reasonable price. Any help if you own something or can point me in the right direction to search would be a great help. Thanks. Very Happy
ski holidays
@epicskichris, What do you consider a reasonable price ? The cheapest place on the tourist office website for that week is 375 euro which looks fair to me.
ski holidays
Thanks rjs. Where did you find that. I only got 500 euro. Ideally i would want to be in the croisette area. Which area is that in and does it have direct access to the main lifts at croisette. Thanks.
latest report
@epicskichris, Just did a search for those dates and sorted on price. The cheapest two were in the Brelin block above Croisette.
snow report
weather looking good for our trip 10th march.
snow conditions
mk28 wrote:
weather looking good for our trip 10th march.

Good sunny or Good snowy?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy