Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2017/2018: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
This sounds like shaping up to be an epic year... so happy I was there in Dec, now booked for Feb and April, envious of those who can go in the next couple weeks...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm after some advice from the Courchevel veterans: we're flying out this Saturday - can anyone recommend any nice and relatively cheap mountain restaurants to get a beer and chips at lunchtime?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@WillowWilson, plenty of good cheap places if you know where to look. In the Courchevel valley I like Bubble Bar over in 1650, and Bel Air at the top of the Ariondaz lift. La Tania has lots of inexpensive places to eat, but for beer and chips Pub Le Ski Lodge is probably what you're looking for. Slightly more upmarket but still not breaking the bank would be Courcheneige on the side of the Bellecote piste as you come back into 1850, and the Bouc Blanc at the top of the La Tania gondola. If you're skiiing into the other valleys then there are plenty more places to choose from - St Martin is worth a trip for the burgers at Dahlia. The trick is to look at the menu/prices before you go in, and if it's too expensive ski on to the next one.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1650- one of my favourite places is la boullete. but you have to walk down onto the main street, basically behind the ariondaz bubble. lovely little place, does great food at reasonable prices.

1850- just avoid any of the places slope side that look fancy- thats because they are! but the reasonable places i've found are:
- when you ski under the 1850 lift building headin for 1300/1500 direction, theres a restaurant just on the left (used to be called bar le jump) its not the chepeast but does really good burgers that are massive!
- in the 1850 shopping centre, attached to the ski/ board shop (think its called la luge??) its good too.
- right at bottom of 1850 lifts- the polar cafe. despite its location we found it reasonably priced!

above la praz- bouc blanc is an on mountain place thats pretty reasonable too

but check out www.latania.co.uk they have a huge list of places and reviews/ guides!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 11-01-18 9:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nope Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
look like another storm is en route
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
malks wrote:

- right at bottom of 1850 lifts- the polar cafe. despite its location we found it reasonably priced!

Polar cafe - now our place to stop for a drink (used to stop at courchneige), cheap for c1850 prices, 3.50 for a coffee, some nice seating inside but it's not a big place.

Cakes look good, but not tried them yet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@little martin yeah we were very surprised last season, we were in a rush to grab lunch before a lesson, didnt have time to go searching and was pleasantly surprised with the prices considering its right at the bottom of the slopes beside the lift station. the cakes did look amazing!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Cafe del Mot (ground floor of the Hotel Mottaret) in Mottaret is very good value - 9.95 Euros for plat du jour or burger and chips plus a drink (beer, wine or soft). I would also recommend the Steak American (baguette, burger & chips) at Snow Food in the centre of VT (next to the ski doo hire base) - 7.50 E but find it is enough for two! Also like the Igloo in Reberty (Les Menuires) and L'Eterlou in St Martin (next to the bottom of the Village drag). The latter does a 3 course menu du jour for 18.50 E. The Meribel Un-plugged '3Vs Lunch Guide', which can be picked up in a lot of bars & restaurants, lists some of the better value establishments but check prices.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There was a new cheap-and-cheerful sandwiches and paninis type hut right at the bottom of the Pralong lift this year too. It looked like it was being run by S3V (the lift company) and I wonder if they're trying to provide some food outlets at the cheaper end of the market to address the stereotype of Courchevel only having expensive restaurants.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I miss the self service that used to be in Chenus - are there any others now?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kieranm wrote:
There was a new cheap-and-cheerful sandwiches and paninis type hut right at the bottom of the Pralong lift this year too. It looked like it was being run by S3V (the lift company) and I wonder if they're trying to provide some food outlets at the cheaper end of the market to address the stereotype of Courchevel only having expensive restaurants.

I err, stacked it there after buying a drink, drink went flying, so did I Wink

Think that opened last season or season before, but another cheaper place to eat.

Not tried the places at the entrance to the courchneige this season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hi, we are looking at going to meribel in mid march and staying in les allues. just a couple of questions. Can you get a ski bus to and from meribel village? can you get home after nights out or would you need a taxi? any idea how much a taxi is and if it is a pain or not. i only ask as i booked brides le bains one year and you are pretty much stuck there after the godolas stop running. thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the Courcheneige changed hands this season (or last?), and is no longer (relatively) cheap.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kieranm wrote:

We use that one for mid morning coffee or afternoon hot chocolate, been there couple of years now.
ski holidays
I hadn't realised about Courcheneige going up market - shame. There are a few more mentioned here half way down: http://www.snowretreat.co.uk/news/courchevel-on-a-budget/

Although not in itself particularly cheap I did very much enjoy a couple of goes on the new 3km luge track in 1650 if you need an excuse to head over there for a cheaper lunch.
latest report
kieranm wrote:
I hadn't realised about Courcheneige going up market - shame. There are a few more mentioned here half way down: http://www.snowretreat.co.uk/news/courchevel-on-a-budget/

Although not in itself particularly cheap I did very much enjoy a couple of goes on the new 3km luge track in 1650 if you need an excuse to head over there for a cheaper lunch.

Was wondering what the new luge run is like. Sounds like it's worth a go. Looking forward to it.
latest report
All pistes excellent today at every altitude thanks to pisteurs and lower temperature.
snow report
@Jehu, I second that.
snow report
Hey there,
I’ve been a silent reader in this forum for a while and need to seek your advice today.

I’m currently in the 3V and first of all I agree with the posters above regarding the lovely conditions of the pistes at the moment. I have mostly had hardpack on my past trips, so almost forgot how amazing it is to snowboard on actual snow!

I’m supposed to leave this weekend, but think about extending a bit. BUT there is a lot of snow and wind in the forecasts for several days. Normally I wouldn’t run away from snow, but given last week’s situation, I’m not sure what to do.

Do you think the situation will be similar with most lifts closed for several days etc? I’m only doing easy pistes at the moment, no offpiste.

I’m worried to spend money and time to end up stuck in Brides-les-Bains worst case. Would it be better to go again another time this year instead? Or to another resort?

What do you think?
snow report
The ex owners of the Courchneige now run the Pomme de Pin hotel next to the stadium and opposite the Chabicho. The lunch time menu there is very reasonably priced.
snow report
The conditions off-piste seemed better than yesterday too. The first part of the run down to St Martin from the top of the Olympic Express was very nice, although it got a bit heavy and crusty the lower you went. @mk28 There is a bus from Les Allues to Meribel Village - Route A
http://www.meribel.net/images/PDF/Hiver/FR/NAVETTES-GRATUITES-Meribus.pdf The last bus from Meribel Village is at 00.40 or 00.35 from Meribel Centre (NB Village is not the centre of town). There are usually plenty of taxis from Meribel Centre or numbers to call in the Meribel guide book. I don't know the current rates. They often charge per person.
snow conditions
@Simony My recommendation, if your travel and accommodation arrangements are flexible, would be to stay until Monday evening or Tuesday. The forecast is showing that it will be very breezy on Wednesday and Thursday, which combined with the anticipated heavy snow falls, will mean that it is likely that the inter valley links will be closed or, at best, delayed.
latest report
Heading to VT on Saturday. Going to be gutted if we lose a days action due to a storm. Sad
snow report
Going to La Tania on Monday and now debating on whether it is worth getting a full three valley pass or just the courchevel pass....still at least we are in the right resort for trees. snowHead
latest report
Simony wrote:
Do you think the situation will be similar with most lifts closed for several days etc? I’m only doing easy pistes at the moment, no offpiste.

I’m worried to spend money and time to end up stuck in Brides-les-Bains worst case. Would it be better to go again another time this year instead? Or to another resort?

What do you think?

Looking at the forecast I personally would be leaving on Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday look like two days of snow and high winds. Unless something changes dramatically it looks like being a tough couple of days with limited opening. Probably some decent skiing below the tree level. If you are staying in Brides leaving midweek at a quiet time of the season shouldn't be an issue. But as I say on balance yeah I'd be heading out.
ski holidays
Skrabble wrote:
Heading to VT on Saturday. Going to be gutted if we lose a days action due to a storm. Sad

Could be two days looking at the forecast. This season is shaping up to be something else.
ski holidays
2planks wrote:
Going to La Tania on Monday and now debating on whether it is worth getting a full three valley pass or just the courchevel pass....still at least we are in the right resort for trees. snowHead

I like the positivity. People underestimate the importance of access to runs below the tree line IMO - especially at this time of the year.

Personally I would still buy a 3 valleys lift pass. Before and after the midweek weather you can make plenty of use of it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Much more like it! Sun, blue sky, cold and perfectly groomed pistes. Top of Suisse at 9.25 am.
ski holidays
Folyeres, Moretta and Jockeys would be just absolutely sublime next week.
snow report
@2planks There are a number of pretty, tree lined runs currently open in les 3Vs, which have frequently been closed in recent years. These include Le Raffort and Les Villages run to Les Allues in the Meribel valley. Le Raffort has been significantly widened in the lower stretches, this year. The Les Allues run is still more of an itineraire and not so suitable for boarders, as it is pretty flat in places. The former walking path from the bottom of the Aiguille du Fruit lift, in the Creux sector, has also been turned into a piste called le Plan du Vah. This leads down to the road between Courcheval 1850 & 1650, where there is a bus stop. However, it is possible to cross the road and continue on down the path towards Courcheval 1550. Here, you can do a short climb to the left to take you onto the bottom of the toboggan run, which leads to the Grangettes TC. Again, parts of the run are pretty flat making it unsuitable for boarders.
snow report
@Mike S, thanks will keep an eye out on the map for those, as long as the wind doesn’t shut the links will be a fun Monday to Friday trip, although might be slightly underskied on my Scott neo’s.
ski holidays
Awesome day today; much colder. We had a crack at the escapade, but a mistake or two put it out of reach. Still, 92km skiing and 15km vertical. Great piste conditions everywhere, and lovely down to St Martin. Now might be a good time to explore lower runs - a liftie also recommended the run down to les allies as per Mike S.
snow report
@Mike S, @Layne, thanks for your thoughts!

I’ll try to extend a day or maybe two and then leave. Although it’s a shame to run away from snow! Oh well, seems to be the reasonable thing to do.
snow conditions
anyone got a link to a decent webcam for the croisette area of les menuires, similar to the Meribel centre Le Pub webcam on merinet.com (though sadly this has not been operational since the beginning of November). The official LM webcam is pants, as it is miles away, i prefer to see what is going on in the centre of the resort!!

we are out in LM in feb, and getting very, very, VERY excited!!!!

sadly, i used to watch the meribel webcam from the beginning till the end of a season for years, even though i was not even going on any trips out there!!!
snow report
Went from La Tania to Orelle today
Fabulous pistes all the way. Sunny and cold. Perfect.
latest report
@terrygasson Have you seen https://lesmenuires.com/webcams/webcam-panoramique-clocher-croisette/ ?
ski holidays
Due out to La Tania 27th of this month and have been following the webcams and weather twice daily for the area. To say I'm looking forward to it might be slightly understated Very Happy

Looking tonight I see there's another front due in dumping snow from Tuesday on wards Cool

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 12-01-18 20:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Mike S wrote:
...The former walking path from the bottom of the Aiguille du Fruit lift, in the Creux sector, has also been turned into a piste called le Plan du Vah. This leads down to the road between Courcheval 1850 & 1650, where there is a bus stop. However, it is possible to cross the road and continue on down the path towards Courcheval 1550. Here, you can do a short climb to the left to take you onto the bottom of the toboggan run, which leads to the Grangettes TC....

Agree it is possible to cross the road and continue on the path, and a few people do it. But be aware that it is a pedestrian path rather than a piste - so only a few metres wide, tree-lined, and in places has limited visibility. Pedestrians will have right-of-way over skiers, so you need to be able to stop pretty instantly if you round a corner and find someone walking towards you!
snow conditions
thanks @Mike S, i have seen that one as well, i was just hoping there might be a private one, that is closer in the centre of town, a bit like the Meribel town centre (though this one is still knackered for some reason), As i like to get a better perspective of what is going on.

it was always good to see the Meribel one (Megeve has one as well) with the snow conditions on the roads and the buildings, and with people milling about (as i have said previously, i am a sad git) .
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy