Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slightly disabled skiers and ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
I have a slight disability which means that my muscles have reduced power and I run out of steam quite quickly. I have adapted to what I can do, and I love to ski, but I have a kit problem. My 20 year old boots are finally wearing out and I just can't find any to replace them. The reason being that all the new boots have a very tight fit and are much stiffer than my old ones. I don't have the muscle power to use stiff boots and the tight fitting boots just compress my muscle jelly and are really painful!

Most of the disability ski advice is about people with severe disabilities, and I can't seem to find any help for someone like me, who doesn't need much assistance, just some old-fashioned boots! Does anyone know of anywhere I can contact for advice? Or anywhere that can find and fit very soft flex boots which aren't tight in the legs?

Thank you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@agrion1, hi and welcome snowHead

Try Glide and Slide in Otley. They are used to working with people with various problems and can do custom molded boots. Give them a call and ask.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Give Colin Martin at Solutions 4 Feet a call, he's a highly regarded (to put it mildly) boot fitter in Bicester
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Scarlet and moseyp - I am closest to Otley and had a session with the fitter there who was very helpful. We did find a pair of standard boots which I could get into and weren't too tight, but since I can't bend my toes much, getting into them is very difficult. He has suggested I try the Full Tilt boots, which have a three piece design and you can open the tongue out fully so you can just slip them on - brilliant! They are also light and have a soft flex, so should suits that problem as well. Only snag is sourcing a pair, he only had one pair in stock which were too wide, and couldn't get any more this season, and Ellis Brigham, the only other ski shop anywhere near only have men's boots. So I am contemplating gambling on buying a pair online and getting him to fit them. The shop in Bicester don't stock them, sadly. Watch this space!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@agrion1, Dahu and Apex boots are often suggested by those with limited foot mobility. They both have a completely separate soft inner boot, which is then inserted into the outer shell for skiing.

https://www.dahusports.com/site/en/home

https://www.apexskiboots.com/

Ellis Brigham sell Apex boots:

https://www.ellis-brigham.com/brands/apex
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi PowderAdict

Thanks for the advice on these boots. I've seen the Apex Boots in Ellis Brigham and had a try but the ones they had were way too wide for me (and somewhat out of my price range!) There doesn't seem to be a different width fitting with them yet - maybe as they get more established?
I hadn't seen the dahu boots - they look very interesting. It's a pity they don't have an outlet in England to see them first hand.

Anyway, I took the plunge and bought some Full Tilt Rumour boots, which are a narrow fitting, and have been wearing them round the house for a week, then at Xscape for an hour the other night. So far, so good, they are warm and comfortable and I felt in control with them on. We have a 3 hr coaching session on Monday, so I will see how I get on with that!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy