Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
@jtr,@jtr,
We were at Corvara and La Villa as well today. Great red and black dropping back down to La villa from the Col Alto.
We then headed off to see that little church under the cliffs at Santa Croce past Badia

All in all a fantastic day..
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hoping to get across to the hidden valley tomorrow while the weather is still clear..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Temperature rose a few degrees today, sun came out and so did the crowds. Only made it as far as Arabba from Vigo di Fassa, looked like all the Sella Ronda pistes were extremely busy, much quieter on the ones off the circuit. A few big queues this afternoon, notably the Lezuo chair back up to Belvedere which needs an upgrade.

Heavy traffic left a combination of bumps and scraped off areas on many pistes but the cold temps have left the underlying snow conditions still very good, the wide cruising areas are still great fun.

Another excellent value lunch, this time at Mister X in Arabba. Can't get used to paying less than 50 euros for four main courses including drinks. Also a shoutout for the Baita el Brodol just above the Pecol cable car station, great ribs & schnitzel yesterday. Also wondering why it has taken me all these years to discover the Bombardino... NehNeh

One minor complaint about fake news on the 'real time' ski bus website, the promised number 5 never arrived this morning, check the printed timetables at the stops!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had quite a big day going from Arabba - Marmolada - Arabba - Hidden Valley - Arabba all on skis today (apart from the short taxi hop from Armentarola to Passo Falzarego). Stunning scenery in the sunshine at both locations, super cold up Marmolada though. It was probably sub -20C but very little wind so didn't feel that bad, as long as no skin was left exposed while skiing down.

Hidden valley was busy this afternoon. Had to queue about 30 minutes at the base of the cable car, and then had a bit of a wait at the horses and queues for the lifts back out of Armentarola and San Cassiano. Made it to the last lift back to Arabba with 13 minutes to spare...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We went to the hidden valley today. I'm afraid to say I wasn't sure it was worth the effort with the queues to get on the bus to go there then the queue at the bottom of the cable car. It's very pretty but it's all pretty round here. Also there was too much polling involved near the bottom...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Completely put away by the Bergfex weather forecast of another sunny day. Cloudy first thing and now snowing steadily since about 9am in Vigo at 1400 metres. Yet to venture out, will likely stick to the tree-lined runs above the village today.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
head_like_a_rock wrote:
Completely put away by the Bergfex weather forecast of another sunny day. Cloudy first thing and now snowing steadily since about 9am in Vigo at 1400 metres. Yet to venture out, will likely stick to the tree-lined runs above the village today.

Not only is Bergfex but GFS-Meteociel totally missing it too. I presume it becomes a flip of the coin under such cold weather. Ortisei still claims no wind on its webpage, which I guess is not correct either.

http://www.val-gardena.com/en/ortisei--live/page268.html

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 1-03-18 16:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FrequentFaller wrote:
We went to the hidden valley today. I'm afraid to say I wasn't sure it was worth the effort with the queues to get on the bus to go there then the queue at the bottom of the cable car. It's very pretty but it's all pretty round here. Also there was too much polling involved near the bottom...

I've done the hidden valley 4 times since 2013 and last March was the first time I experienced the queues as you describe. I guess it's not so hidden any more.
Getting there early would probably help but then by the time you'd skied back down to the bottom of the cable car (spectacular red run) and done the lovely Cinque Torri area you'd hit the queue for the HV at the cable car again Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@FrequentFaller, I'd second your thoughts about the Hidden valley - I'd only say it's worth doing if you can somehow avoid the queues (perhaps on a particularly quiet week). Then you could combine it with the run back down the front and Cinque Torri before going down the Hidden Valley run.

Cloudy in Arabba this morning with light snowfall. Hazy sunshine came out around lunchtime so had an unexpectedly nice afternoon around Arabba and Alta Badia. Only about 3cm of accumulation but it freshened the pistes a little.

Yr.no and ARPAV were pretty accurate on the forecast for today.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weather cleared from lunchtime so we had a fun couple of hours on the runs off the Pra Martin chair above Vigo, small area but decent variety and freshened nicely by today's snow. Skied the Tomba black, possibly not in the style of La Bomba himself. Actually felt warm by the bottom of the Thoni home run, for the first time this week.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weather not so good today
Although slightly warmer the visibility wasn't that good.
Anyway everybody in this chalet feel we've had the best skiing holiday. The food, scenery and the condition of the slopes.
Will be back next year although maybe not to Selva. More likely to Corvara with a mixed ability group. Selva is fairly hard to get back into at the end of the day with all the steep reds and black's chopped up.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Had a great week in the Dolomites. Thanks to everyone for the ongoing info in this thread. The piste conditions are still very good with full coverage everywhere. We had our last day skiing around the Civetta area on the drive down to Venice on Saturday - which also forms part of the WW1 skiing route. It's low down (almost all below 2000m) and fully below the treeline so probably a good option for when it's snowing and cold. Unfortunately it was foggy yesterday so we couldn't see the views. Mostly easy pistes and a few too many flat areas. The trees are mostly quite dense but did see a few steep and less dense pitches that would be good for tree skiing. It was very quiet compared to the Sella Ronda!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Advice appreciated please. We want to spend a day doing hidden valley and cinque torri next week. We are staying in armenterola so shouldn't take us long to get there. Which is better to do first cinque torri or hidden valley? How many hours skiing is there? Lunch recommendations also welcomed! Is it quieter on week day than a saturday?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Holidayqueen, If there's no queues you'll have it all done in an hour or so
. As for lunch I'm not so clear. There is a place to eat at the top of the Cable car and there is a place half way down the hidden valley but we only had a Hot Choc there. Having said that we haven't had a bad meal anywhere in the Dols so eat where you like.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FrequentFaller wrote:
@Holidayqueen, If there's no queues you'll have it all done in an hour or so
. As for lunch I'm not so clear. There is a place to eat at the top of the Cable car and there is a place half way down the hidden valley but we only had a Hot Choc there. Having said that we haven't had a bad meal anywhere in the Dols so eat where you like.

Cinque Torri and Hidden Valley in an hour? Even if you could, why would you?
ski holidays
@Holidayqueen,

There are several rifugios in the area. The ones I’ve visited are Scoiatolli near the Cinque Torri, Laguazoi at the top of the cable car and Scotinis about 3/4 of the way down the HV. I’ve only eaten in Scotonis - the mixed grill is famous and brilliant.

I suggest that you make an early start, get the bus up to Falzarego, take the cable car up an then the red back down towards the bottom of the cable car, turning left at the fork for the Cinque Torri. Ski that area, have a coffee stop, enjoy the views, make your way back to the cable car and then do the HV. If you get to Scotoni early enough have lunch there, the only problem is that it’s so popular that you can find yourself waiting a while for a table. You have the advantage of staying in Armentarola to get a good head’s start on the crowds.
snow report
@agw, Yeah, I was only really thinking about the hidden valley...
snow report
2 awesome days
Bluebird yesterday am and some cloud later ... went to ortisei via James Bond and an anticlock sella Ronda.
Today Santa Croce ... cloudy all day but viz ok below 2500m so pretty much everywhere ! Finished with a few portovescovo blacks ... superb and empty.
Light snow now.
ski holidays
Good but slightly challenging day today ... light snow overnight and pretty much through the day ... few cms building to maybe 8 cms by close.
Some glimpses of the sun to start but then cloudy ... viz generally OK ... cloud level c. 2,400m so not much of a problem.
Pretty warm so below 1800m snow getting sticky and wet seats on chairs.
Skied clockwise sella with detours at Colfosco and then afternoon off piste in the trees towards LaVilla.
Still snowing very lightly.
latest report
Another awesome day - contrary to forecast sunny until 11 and then light snow for rest of day. Viz challenging above 2000m but great snow.
snow conditions
Holidayqueen wrote:
Advice appreciated please. We want to spend a day doing hidden valley and cinque torri next week. We are staying in armenterola so shouldn't take us long to get there. Which is better to do first cinque torri or hidden valley? How many hours skiing is there? Lunch recommendations also welcomed! Is it quieter on week day than a saturday?

Saturday is changeover day on the Sella Ronda, so likely quieter. You will still get locals and weekenders though. It's busier when the weather's fine, particularly on the first fine day after some bad ones, then everyone piles up there. Don't bother on a cloudy day. It will be empty, but you won't get the views and viz at the top could be bad.

As others have said, staying at Armentarola, you will get a head start on any crowds. To make a day of it, get a taxi-bus up to Falzarego Pass, go up the cablecar, do the front face red, hang left, cross the road and join the flattish blue to access the Cinque Torri/Averau circuit. Good stops are Rifugio Scoiattoli and Rifugio Averau at the middle & top of the Cinque Torri area. You might want to repeat the lovely quiet runs here a few times before heading back over to Falzarego. There are plenty of other huts to stop at all around this area.

You can see it all on here: http://lagazuoi5torri.dolomiti.org/ita/cortina/laga5torri/inverno/superotto_mappa.jpg

Head back to the cable car up to Lagazuoi. If it's now late morning there will likely be a queue. Go up the steps to the Rifugio terrace for an even higher panoramic view. Ski down the Hidden Valley. About 2/3 of the way down is Rifugio Scotoni which is a busy & popular lunch stop. Grilled meats are the speciality, but other items are available. There is another less spectacular Rifugio at the bottom of the run if the crowds at Scotoni are too much. If it's sunny, sit it out on the terrace at Scotoni, they are pretty efficient.

At the bottom, take the horse-tow most of the way back to Armentarola. Finish the day with a few runs off the San Cassiano/Piz Sorega gondola.

As to timings, the Hidden Valley run itself can be skied at a leisurely pace in 30-45 mins, but the queues waiting for the cablecar can sometimes take as long.

This video of Graham Bell skiing the front face red at Lagazuoi might inspire: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/graham-bell-skis-the-lagazuoi-piste-in-cortina-d-ampezzo/

Though he gets it wrong about the Dolomite rocks being formed from Sandstone, it is actually Dolomitic Limestone (Calcium Magnesium Carbonate)!
ski holidays
Surely it would not have been possible to script a better season than this one. I can imagine there are already a lot of booking for next season.
latest report
We’ve booked for new year. There are 16 of us. I just hope that the weather gods deliver as I am the one that’s recommended Dolomites over the Alps.
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
Surely it would not have been possible to script a better season than this one. I can imagine there are already a lot of booking for next season.

Just one more chapter needed, in which the weather gods decide to turn the expected heavy rainfall this Sunday/Monday to snow Smile
latest report
Odysseus wrote:

Just one more chapter needed, in which the weather gods decide to turn the expected heavy rainfall this Sunday/Monday to snow Smile

Yes can't agree more I just had a look at the forecast for Badia and its looking a bit worrying for the weekend at base level. Although I suspect there is a decent enough base there now to endure some rain. I am pretty sure that this time last year the pistes were just white ribbons among the brown fields especially lower down. Having said that we went out for the last week of March and had a great time.

Going out on 25th March to Pedraces again so fingers are crossed.
snow report
I would imagine that by now the pistes will be bomb proof. they are probably more concerned about how to break it up in April Cool

Really envious....although I intend to ski in some rain a bit closer to home this weekend Laughing
snow conditions
OMG what a day
Absolute bluebird with perfect pistes and 20cm plus off piste.
Did 2 north face of marmolada down towards the lake ... WoW absolutely superb despite the queues at the bottom.
Back over to Pordoi and a couple of Portovescovos.
Simply the best 😃
ski holidays
Awesome day on Marmolada
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why can’t I post image ?
snow report

Marmolada north face
ski holidays
@mini_mo, I think you’re pretty safe for next new year. Snow making and management so excellent, even if the natural stuff doesn’t arrive in tons.
Relax and wait for the accolades to pour in during early January.
Out of interest, which village for your base?
snowHead
ski holidays
CP wrote:
Odysseus wrote:

Yes can't agree more I just had a look at the forecast for Badia and its looking a bit worrying for the weekend at base level. Although I suspect there is a decent enough base there now to endure some rain. I am pretty sure that this time last year the pistes were just white ribbons among the brown fields especially lower down. Having said that we went out for the last week of March and had a great time.

Going out on 25th March to Pedraces again so fingers are crossed.

We’re going out to Corvara this Sunday when the rain is forecast for the valley so I’ll let you know Smile
As Peter S says- it will take a lot of rain to seriously affect this much compacted snow
ski holidays
@agw, great choice. Hope you get some sun too. snowHead
latest report
The Bergfex forecast has improved a bit for next week- snowline down a touch and a mixture of sun and clouds with a bit more precipitation on Thursday overnight into Friday. I’ll take that Very Happy
latest report
Amp
Ther great day - sunny with a few clouds. Do sella anti with extras at Corvara colfosco and a trip to ortisei for late lunch. Bit of a rush coming home ... over 10,500 m of descent today 😃
latest report

Powder gulley in colfosco
Awesome powder in trees above colfosco
snow report
@mini_mo, great to see you returning. We are aiming for Feb half term again next year ...
snow report
@Holidayqueen, leave early when hopefully no queues at Armentarola, head straight to 5 Torri and finish with long descend via Hidden Valley. On a beautiful day it is worthwhile though slopes tends to be rather easy. I made a lengthy video in Feb 2017, have a look:

http://youtube.com/v/1qipnx7lvXQ
snow conditions
Just spent the last two days in Cortina. Loving it so far although the weather wasn't great today. Thick cloud at the top, light snow in the middle and drizzle at the bottom. Still had a lot of fun.
latest report
@PeakyB, we are staying in La Villa with same hotel as previous. I called them to book and they recognised my voice from 2017!
@SteveM, Hi Steve hope you and family are well? Looks like week commencing 9th Feb is the more uncommon UK half term plus Fasching and Carnevale are towards the end of Feb, so a very good choice. We would have gone over half term but one family were not able to go then. Either UK half term should I think miss the holidays above so a good choice!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy