Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
thefatcontroller, i think you're right: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowcat snowHead
(though boredsurfin idea also looks good)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone know for a space for 1 w/c 24th Feb
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How's the place holding up under the half term hoards??
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chopkins13,

It has been relatively busy when the sun has been shining but on the not so clear days it has been pretty quiet, today especially.

It is easy enough to avoid the crowds and queues if you time it right and, if you stick to the difficult runs, it can be as quiet as a low season week.

Yesterday we hardly encountered another skier all day. We ventured on the off-piste bit next to Inversens, took Mio and then Anne's valley route back to the Verdons Sud lift. From the top of Verdon Suds took Mercedes down towards Becoin lift. From the top of Becoin we took the Morbleu down before calling in at the 360 restaurant at the top of the Montalbert gondola. From there you can look across to all the blacks off the Aime la Plagne side and they were deserted, only the blue run down to the Envers lift was busy.
We then skied down the difficult red back to the Envers lift, took the Colorado and then Verdon Nord lifts and had Les Bosses all to ourselves on the way back home. I don't think we had to queue for more than 5 minutes for a lift and Mercedes was the only difficult piste where we came within 20 yards of another skier.

I think the next 2 weeks will be the busy ones as 2 of the 3 French regions will be on holiday then.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skichampcouk, so, has the 360 got any better from the overpriced chaotic disaster it was back in December?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jonpim, It has improved dramatically. The toilets and washbasins now work, the restaurant is now heated, they also have menus and you can get a decent cup of tea. The views not bad either.
It's a good place if you want a quick snack, they serve a good Chicken wrap and the vegetable soups not bad. The home-made pizzas also looks reasonable but we haven't tried that yet.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skichampcouk wrote:
Improved dramatically
Would need to.
But on your upbeat description we will give it another go when back next month.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Official Traffic advice for tomorrow
in short get out early!

http://www.savoie-route.fr/en/recommendation-to-drivers
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

and its going to be snowing and or raining!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

and its going to be snowing and or raining!

The snowline is forecast as 1900 in the morning dropping to 1000m by late evening so black roads for the departing hoards
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Plans for 2019/2020
including a Gondola from 1800 to above Plagne Centre?
This Google translate from http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm#19_02_18

Quote:

The last meeting of the Syndicat intercommunal de la Grande Plagne was an opportunity for the SAP to announce to elected officials its plans for the summer of 2019 , including the replacement of the long-awaited Glacier gondola.

1- After many variations studied, projected and announced, it seems that the replacement on the same line of the Glacier gondola is finally envisaged. The massifs of the pylons would be poured in the summer of 2019, for an opening expected at Christmas 2020. Obviously it is necessary to reckon with the administrative constraints, the environmental obligations, and especially the budgetary constraints. It will therefore be necessary to follow this file closely.

2- Another project: the replacement of the Mélèzes chairlift between Plagne 1800 and Plagne Center by a gondola , which would be extended towards the arrival of the former Véga chairlift. Again, clarification will be necessary, because it is not really what had been considered until then!

3- Finally, a chairlift would be under study to link the departure of the Inversens (raised to 6 places next summer) and Crozats , to finally create a direct connection without requiring a passage by Bellecôte. A project that many faithful of La Plagne also imagine for years ... To follow there too!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

1- After many variations studied, projected and announced, it seems that the replacement on the same line of the Glacier gondola is finally envisaged. The massifs of the pylons would be poured in the summer of 2019, for an opening expected at Christmas 2020. Obviously it is necessary to reckon with the administrative constraints, the environmental obligations, and especially the budgetary constraints. It will therefore be necessary to follow this file closely.

Never thought I'd see the day!

Quote:
3- Finally, a chairlift would be under study to link the departure of the Inversens (raised to 6 places next summer) and Crozats , to finally create a direct connection without requiring a passage by Bellecôte. A project that many faithful of La Plagne also imagine for years ... To follow there too!

I think this will be a useful lift - especially as we usually stay in Les Coches.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Another project: the replacement of the Mélèzes chairlift between Plagne 1800 and Plagne Center by a gondola , which would be extended towards the arrival of the former Véga chairlift. Again, clarification will be necessary, because it is not really what had been considered until then!
An interesting development for those of us in 1800, but what an odd comment: " clarification will be necessary, because it is not really what had been considered until then!"
It was not on any of the previous plans.
And really not a sensible idea unless they also put back a Vega-like lift - to send all the Mélèzes customers down into Plagne Centre would be bonkers.
Maybe too much Vin de la Plagne . . ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonpim, I'm guessing the idea is to stop 1800 customers going up to use the Bergerie lift by taking them directly up to the area near the top of the Colossses lift. (vaguely near where Vega terminated)
Bergerie is already 'saturated' and with the development of the new Dou du Praz village Bergerie needs some 'relief' to allow space for the new developments customers.
However, the route will be very interesting, particularly as lifts crossing roads and other lifts is now frowned upon, if not 'illegal'.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh! So the new lift is planned to go right up to near the top of Colosses?
Now, that is really quite sensible. Then it is just one lift from 1800 and you can ski straight down to Bellecote, or back to Plagne Centre. Excellent.
Now we just need another way back from Arpette to Plagne Centre that avoids Bellecote.
latest report
Jonpim wrote:

Now we just need another way back from Arpette to Plagne Centre that avoids Bellecote.

I have a route for that but it does involve getting up speed, an uphill section and skiing a walking track..... It was very useful the day last season that Collossus (sp) packed up at 4pm and people were queuing for an hour for the replacement bus service. I'll show in March if you like.
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, @Arctic Roll, I thought I'd let you know that the 6 days free skiing offer for Paradiski season ticket holders in the Vail resorts actually works. You were both interested when I found it was available last November.
We've just been into the Breckenridge season pass office today and claimed our 6 free days skiing. At first the sales person knew absolutely nothing about it but, with the aid of her boss and an incredibly large folder she produced, we were eventually issued with our free pass.
It should give us 2 free days in 3 of the Vail resorts, we skied in Breckenridge today and are considering Keystone or Vail tomorrow.
ski holidays
Well done skichampcouk, and congrats on your persistence.
What were the conditions like?

boredsurfin, I think we know your route: tried it once, and you have to be desperate.
Rather better is Belle Plagne moving carpet, Col de Forcle drag, and ski down to Verdon Sud chair.
snow report
Jonpim The conditions are incredibly awesome dude which I think translates to not too bad considering.

Saturday and Sunday was extremely cold, windy, cloudy and very busy with weekend visitors. Today has been a lot warmer and relatively quiet.

The pistes are mainly compact powder snow with an occasional hard patch on the busy bits, the off-piste is now mainly moguls but it is soft snow. We stayed in the trees over the weekend at Breckenridge and Keystone but ventured into the bowls at the back end of Vail today and there was some good snow to be found. I imagine it would be superb after a heavy snowfall.

The price of a day ticket at the lift pass office in Vail is $189 and 3 days would set you back $537 so it is not a bad saving. We didn't have to be persistent to obtain the ticket, although they weren't familiar with it they made every effort to find out about it and it was relatively straight forward to obtain the ticket.
I'd definitely recommend the journey especially with some stupidly cheap prices from Gatwick to Denver with Norwegian Air who also provide a great service.
ski holidays
skichampcouk wrote:
The price of a day ticket at the lift pass office in Vail is $189

Feck me!

Do you they serve cocktails on the lifts?
ski holidays
@skichampcouk, thanks for that. good to hear. Did you try Keystone? how did you find it? ( "well we got on the bus and there it was...") We were based there around 2000, and did the day in Breck before going for 2nd week in Vail. Nice part of the world... wink
latest report
What a difference a day makes.
Yesterday was dull and snowy - rather wet snow started about 9am and kept going to about 5pm.
Not many people out, and we had great time doing circuits round Ardret lift, leave Grenouilles piste at 4th post, cut across field, down through the trees to Grenouilles return track, back to Ardret lift - repeat as necessary.
Today dawned blue, cloudless sky, and sunny. And people everywhere!
Well, almost.
It was fine up 1800 lift, down Andre Martzolf to La Roche, and up La Roche lift: few people and no queues.
But plan to head up Becoin, or any lift out of Plagne Centre quickly abandoned: massive queues for all lifts.
So back down to 1800 lift, down Andre Martzolf to La Roche - as before: still few crowds and no queues.
Funny how people stick to the same areas, but we are quite happy they do. Leaves all the other areas to us.
This time we circuited Palsembleu and Envers lift. Lots of deep fluffy stuff to either side of the piste and through the trees, hardly anyone going down, and no queues on the lift. Round and round till we were tired and hungry. And you know, i'm starting to like Envers. Its quick and no queues - soon even forgot about the hard seats.
Came back via Colorado lift and "Giggle Gully", and for the first time stopped at Bar Fort Colorado. It was really excellent. Loud boomy music, yes, but after a drink or two even us oldies were going with the vibe. Mrs Jonpim says the Colorado Cocktail was one of the strongest she's ever had. My beer was very good too. Friendly staff, a variety of seating, paninis/hot dogs. We'll definitely pop in again.
Now enjoying tea and Hot Cross Bun snowHead
ski holidays
@Jonpim, Bar Fort Colorado - have been saying 'must try that bar' every time we go up Colorado... Toofy Grin

We are 'Baby sitting" at home at the moment Scarf metatarsal and akin osteotomies Second toe DIP J funsion and 3rd Flexor tendectomy - The anaesthesia team were 'lovely' !
latest report
@Jonpim - glad you arrived safely.
Sounds like great conditions at the moment.
Hopefully catch up with you soon - Mrs Apoth and I arrive next Saturday
snow report
boredsurfin, that is some major foot reconstruction you list there. Glad anaesthesia team were "lovely" - hope you got decent pain relief as well.

And Apoth, looks like you will arrive just after the rain. Glad you survived the Easty Beasty - think things were bit tough up your way . . .
snow conditions
@Jonpim, She's got lots of painkillers etc Very Happy Also a K wire thats to be taken out in 6 weeks!
snow report
Hi all you folks over the other side of the Vanoise! A quick question to anyone! Have you guys or girls also heard the rumour that the ski lifts will not open in La Plagne next winter 2018 - 2019 until 22 December 2018. Six days later than this season and almost two weeks later than only a few years ago?! Is this really true or just gossip! I am still trying to find out, but the Tourist Office are not very helpful. If it is true this is very bad news as NO Pre - Christmas Skiing week and I bet if it happens next winter it will become the norm for the future! Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
Jonpim wrote:

I have a route for that but it does involve getting up speed, an uphill section and skiing a walking track..... It was very useful the day last season that Collossus (sp) packed up at 4pm and people were queuing for an hour for the replacement bus service. I'll show in March if you like.

Is that using that walking track that passes through where Leicthoums lift used to be ? yes very useful un an emergency.

For the original question ... Arpette > Crozats > Inversens > Verdons Sud > Plagne Centre ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eblunt, your route does work, but a long way round.
I would still go with Belle Plagne carpet, Col de Forcle drag, then down to Verdons Sud.
Probably a bit quicker, and definitely a lot more fun.
(and of course, you can always take the bus)
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
eblunt, your route does work, but a long way round.
I would still go with Belle Plagne carpet, Col de Forcle drag, then down to Verdons Sud.
Probably a bit quicker, and definitely a lot more fun.
(and of course, you can always take the bus)

I'd forgotten that method , very good. With a good bit of speed you can virtually get round to 'Ours' for the Col DF drag without the carpet, or take the Tyrolean to give you a real boost !
snow report
Well, where have all these people come from?!? Its March, forgodsake: the school holidays have finished!
Its meant to be quiet here now.
And today was real murky with flutterings of snow: surely perfect for keeping most of the muppets in their chalet.
But no! Crowds everywhere. Even a short queue on the Montalbert Gondola.
And the run down from 2000 to Plagne Centre was worse than Leicester Square!
Big queue on the Becoin and Colorado, not so bad for the Rochette gondola.
Even a large queue at Bergerie lift as we came home (after reviving drink at the Boom Boom Bergerie).
Fingers crossed for the Champagny side tomorrow - maybe quieter over there . . .
snow report
We've found the same on the other side of the V Express. Expected it to be a quieter week than the previous 2 but it's been just as busy. Far too many people on the slopes given the poor visibility and choppy and icy conditions.
snow conditions
It's crowded because it's still French 1/2 term. This chart is invaluable

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=128363
ski holidays
@red 27,
Lol, been here since beginning of January, was a bit far to go home just to avoid the crowds.
latest report
@Scamper, are you bored yet?
ski holidays
@Scamper, surely a day off is in order?
latest report
No, not bored, with being here so long we don't ski every day or all day. The chart is very useful and I was aware that it was still half term, I was just expressing my surprise that it seemed still as busy even though fewer regions of France are on holiday.
snow conditions
red 27, thank you. Somehow we looked at similar charts and worked out French school holidays finished last week rolling eyes
That does explain crowds and large number of kids.
So, we will soldier on to the end of the week, looking forward to a quieter time next week.

As Scamper says, never bored in the mountains: always something to do, but not necessarily downhill skiing.

Meantime it is snowing . . .
ski holidays
One year we were there the week after all the school holidays were over, only to find loads of family's with pre school kids (both UK and french) on holiday, which made the village centres busy but out on the 'mountains' really quiet snowHead
ski holidays
@Jonpim, we were also hoping it would be quieter here this week with only one French region on half-term, but alas no! Seems even busier than the past the weeks, which is somewhat irritating! Roll on next week, hopefully all will be back to 'normal'. In the meantime, it's still pretty quiet between 12 and 2 when everyone's at lunch, particularly down around Montalbert / La Roche and over the Champagny side. And like you say - at least it's snowing! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy