Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone. We are visiting La Plagne next week and staying with @Snow and Sunshine. Please could you stop it snowing.

I'm not sure whether it will be appropriate with my low level of competence and the high level of snow but could any one suggest a good guide for off-piste? So far I've talked to Reflex who do more of a lesson than a guide. They have opened a group for the Tuesday so if anyone fancies joining that it would be an option.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@henzerani,

Sorry, stopping of snow is scheduled for Fri 26. Then blue skies until Sun 4 wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And sorry too from me, henzerani.
I like heavy snowfall - keeps the riff-raff in their apartments Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ukredsox, @Jonpim, I should get a guide to show me around where the pistes used to be. Or hire me some fat boys (or should that be phat boyz?).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heading to belle plagne on the 27th for first trip there.
What recommendations for nice blues and the odd easy red to start the week with.
Looking at long range there should be even more snow which will hopefully settle quickly
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
grahamt1980, welcome to Snowheads.
Recommendations pretty worthless. Conditions of runs vary from day to day. And what you like and don't like is probably different from me.
So, have look at the Piste Map, and set off on your adventure.
And enjoy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@grahamt1980, welcome to snowHeads. I agree with the above. Let’s go and explore new territory Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fair enough, that was the plan initially.
Just can't wait to get out there now. I will be the idiot trying to play on a snowboard on blues
Cheers all
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
grahamt1980, while not knocking Jonpim's good advice, Les Laines just above BP is a blues cruise. And there are more in the 'bowl' by BP. Once you've warmed up there are loads more, conditions permitting. The runs back to BP from the Roche de Mio (incl Les Laines) are mainly red/blue.

One of my other favourites is Borsellier ( a red IIRC) - part of which is a huge natural half-pipe. Good restaurant with a nice terrace at the bottom of the run.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
grahamt1980 wrote:
Fair enough, that was the plan initially.
Just can't wait to get out there now. I will be the idiot trying to play on a snowboard on blues
Cheers all

In that case, beware of going down the 'Tunnel' if there's lots of snow on piste elsewhere.

It's one of my favourite Blues (very varied) but does have a long flat section that can be a right old struggle for boarders (at about 02:30 in this video)

http://youtube.com/v/VlKvSC0wfD0

Here's one of the runs off the Arpette

http://youtube.com/v/f8ZvkLa4ye4

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 15-01-18 13:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NB - these aren't my videos.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arpette looks like fun, Was looking at some off the Inversens too.
I had seen the tunnel run. It's annoying as it looks like the best way back to our Chalet. However it also looks like you can go round the back of that ridge line and down into Belle Plagne.
Cheers for all the suggestions.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can't help but wonder who the skier would have blamed in the event of a collision at any point in that tunnel run video. I lost count of the number of potential incidents that didn't quite happen, fortunately. Very much as is the case on the road network - never underestimate the capacity of idiots to do something unpredictable and give them as wide a berth as possible. Treating them as human slalom posts on piste is asking for trouble...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
grahamt1980 wrote:
Arpette looks like fun, Was looking at some off the Inversens too.
I had seen the tunnel run. It's annoying as it looks like the best way back to our Chalet. However it also looks like you can go round the back of that ridge line and down into Belle Plagne.
Cheers for all the suggestions.

If you're staying top side of Belle Plagne, then you can follow the Les Laines Blue piste back into the village.

You can also turn left off the Arpette Blue a bit closer to the village (after the 'Yacht Club'**)

The main piste goes bottom side of BP (at which point it can be a right bottleneck) and on down into Bellecote

** when you see this restaurant, you'll see why my group have given in this nickname Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking at the piste map, has the Arpette "Funslope" been moved further to the right (as you're coming down) and Dunes been reinstated as a normal Blue ?

From memory, I'm sure that Dunes was where the bumps and jumps had been put in for the yoof to play on.
snow conditions
Any updates on Envers ?
ski holidays
Hi all,

Hopefully can answer a quick couple of questions.

When booking the 6 day Paradiski pass, I believe you get a free half day but I have been told that this must be taken at the end of the pass and not at the start. Is this the case? As we were keen to ski on arrival Sunday afternoon without having to add an extra whole day/half day cost.

Am I also right in saying there is a free of charge button lift around Plagne Centre/Villages? I'd like to take some of our group out on the Sunday who are almost novices just to get there "legs back".

For the more adventurous of us would it be possible to ski down from Plagne Village somewhere without the use of a lift and then catch a bus back up?

Cheers all
latest report
Fridge03 wrote:
When booking the 6 day Paradiski pass, I believe you get a free half day but I have been told that this must be taken at the end of the pass and not at the start. Is this the case? As we were keen to ski on arrival Sunday afternoon without having to add an extra whole day/half day cost.

I used for Saturday afternoon i.e., at the start last season. So unless the rules have changed, and I don't think they have - at the start is fine. In fact, I was of the understanding it was only for the day prior to starting. But I couldn't verify that as I only needed to be sure it was prior to.
latest report
Hi All,

we're going to be staying in 1800 and having just watched that video of Le Tunnel I think the family would love that. whats the easiest way back to 1800 once out of the Tunnel?

Cheers
ski holidays
Fridge03 wrote:
Hi all,

Am I also right in saying there is a free of charge button lift around Plagne Centre/Villages? I'd like to take some of our group out on the Sunday who are almost novices just to get there "legs back".

For the more adventurous of us would it be possible to ski down from Plagne Village somewhere without the use of a lift and then catch a bus back up?

Cheers all

My understanding is that the free half day is on the day before the pass starts. I'd email the skipass people or message them via the Yuge app. From experience, they're very good at dealing with queries.

There's a free drag at Plagne Villages. It's called 'Chevrette'. A friend of mine is working in LP for the season and I checked with her yesterday that this drag is still free.

It's a great drag for getting going again. See below pic

You could ski from PV to 1800 (via Centre)

I think that there's a free bus from 1800 to Centre but I've not done it myself. You'd then have to get the Pots/Bus back to PV

snow report
Adamski wrote:
Hi All,

we're going to be staying in 1800 and having just watched that video of Le Tunnel I think the family would love that. whats the easiest way back to 1800 once out of the Tunnel?

Cheers

Ski bottom side of Belle Plagne down into Bellecote. Take the Colosses lift.

From there, either Ecartee (aka Bergerie) or Mira>Bridge>Boulevard will get you back to Centre, from where you can drop on down to 1800
snow conditions
@ukredsox, thanks! could be a good adventure on day 1 for the kids!
snow report
ukredsox wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:
Hi all,

Cheers all

My understanding is that the free half day is on the day before the pass starts. I'd email the skipass people or message them via the Yuge app. From experience, they're very good at dealing with queries.

There's a free drag at Plagne Villages. It's called 'Chevrette'. A friend of mine is working in LP for the season and I checked with her yesterday that this drag is still free.

It's a great drag for getting going again. See below pic

You could ski from PV to 1800 (via Centre)

I think that there's a free bus from 1800 to Centre but I've not done it myself. You'd then have to get the Pots/Bus back to PV

Thanks for all the info.
I'll contact the lift pass people direct. That drag looks perfect and right by where we are staying. Hopefully will be able to get their ski legs back on that before cracking on Monday morning.
snow report
Saw someone with a SH sticker on their lid today in the queue for the Roche de Mio bubble.
latest report
Not me, I'm in the UK for a few days...
snow conditions
ukredsox wrote:
Any updates on Envers ?

Still shut
snow conditions
Quote:

as the Arpette "Funslope" been moved further to the right (as you're coming down) and Dunes been reinstated as a normal Blue ?

Yes. The fun slope is on the left as you go up the Arpette lift, Dunes on the right. Dunes was the kids favourite run home last week. They were really excited about the funslope before the trip, but it didn't live up to their expectations. Very narrow, lots of people hooning down out of control at breakneck speeds, and others skiing slow and caustiously getting stuck on the upslopes. It was pretty horrible to be honest.
snow report
Thanks

Dunes was one of my favourites before they turned it into a funslope.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@FastCarver74, When was that? It looks wider and has a slightly different route this year as well as interactive ie noisy features. Each feature also has a route around it. At New Year there were Piste Patrollers at the top controlling the flow onto the start.
@ukredsox, Dunes is still there, untouched by the Fun slope. The toboggan run down the side of Dunes hasn't been built this season.
latest report
Quote:

@FastCarver74, When was that? It looks wider and has a slightly different route this year as well as interactive ie noisy features. Each feature also has a route around it. At New Year there were Piste Patrollers at the top controlling the flow onto the start.

Last week. No patrollers at the top. Didn't see any all week. The features with routes around them are the box, which is right at the start and the arched box (which has sides that are waist high) and is at the top of an upslope section. There are a couple of exit points out of the slope, but not easily seen. Other than the two obstacles already mentioned, the slope is probably about 4m wide the whole way down.
ski holidays
@FastCarver74, At New Year the tunnel had a by pass and so did one section of rollers, with a parallel smooth piste. I guess they are pisteing it according to forecast demand. By early Jan it had some heavy wear patches in places as well.
snow report
Quote:

@FastCarver74, At New Year the tunnel had a by pass and so did one section of rollers, with a parallel smooth piste. I guess they are pisteing it according to forecast demand. By early Jan it had some heavy wear patches in places as well.

That's the couple of places I refer to. It was bashed everynight as far as I could tell and would officially open mid morning about 10. We often saw a pisteur putting the warning signs out as we were going up the Arpette chair. The only real perma-ruts were on the final section as it drops down and right. The rest was ok until near the end of the day and even then it wasn't so bad. For me it just isn't wide enough for the amount of traffic using it. Funnily enough the snowcross park under the Blanchets chair was virtually unused despite being open.
snow report
That's a shame the fun slope is a bit underwhelming. Is the terrain park at the top of belle plagne still there this year?
snow report
Update on our week so far.

Day 2 - Made the most of the weather and did our day in Les Arcs. Pistes both sides in good condition, nice sunny day. Had a very nice lunch in the ‘Luigi’ in Arcs 1950.

Day 3 today - Surprised by how much was open, don’t think as much snow came down as forecast. Windy, but not unbearable. Went up Colorado to start, light was pretty flat on the blue back down to centre until you hit the half way point and then it really improved. Piste itself was lovely. As someone who doesn’t really go off piste, it’s always nice to have some soft fresh snow with the piste a couple of inches below. Instead of braving it out, we headed down to Montalbert and spent the day going up the Montalbert gondola and taking different routes back down. Very little wind, good vis and the snow was really nice all the way down. Only negative was a bit of sleet and as you got down to 1250. Was really quiet still, and after two days of covering some distance, it was nice to have a bit of a play at a slower pace. Lunch was the restaurant on the right of the piste map just above Montalbert, traditional French and very nice. Considering how the outlook was for today, we were pleasantly surprised by how good a day we had. In short, some lovely skiing to be had down out of the wind and cloud! Really hit home today that even though the piste map is huge, I’d rather stay in a small area and enjoy it than drag myself through poor visibility and hate it just to say I’ve gone up high.

Lazy morning tomorrow I think looking at the forecast and then will probably do something similar tomorrow.
ski holidays
Gassy222 wrote:
Really hit home today that even though the piste map is huge, I’d rather stay in a small area and enjoy it than drag myself through poor visibility and hate it just to say I’ve gone up high

Exactly! snowHead
snow conditions
YUGE ? Anyone using it. I downloaded the update this year and it's just riddled with bugs :

- Tracking is very unreliable. It decided I had gone 142 kph at one point. gives totally nonsense distances travelled.
- Tracking randomly just switches itself off. I made a point of double check it was correctly switched on before starting, yet frequently half an hour later I'd have to restart it.
- Friend search just gives a random list, 4 of us were using it and none of us could find each other.
- Rankings don't work at all, it just says ranking is unavailable. I'm fully connected 4G most of the time.
- Most of the badges don't get given. It doesn't give any of the lift badges, and most of the "new experiences" don't register either

Even the navette times it lists are wrong. It's gone from being OK last year to an absolute pile of crap this year.

Anyone else get on any better with it ?
ski holidays
@Gassy222, absolutely. Ski at the right altitude/areas according to the conditions. When the weathers good then strike out, travel and explore. There's a lot to be said from skiing the same area for an afternoon.
ski holidays
@Gassy222, Sounds like you had lunch here http://forperet.com/?lang=en
and btw 1350 wink snowHead

@eblunt, I always have Yuge and ski tracks on - both vary so I usually take the average. Badges have not interested me so can't comment. Similarly Friends - haven't got any wink Lift times are accurate atm.
latest report
@eblunt, not used it lots. TBH I look at the piste map in the evening/morning and make a general plan. I know Paradiski and the bottlenecks pretty well anyway. I use Ski Tracks for fun to track my skiing (works well). I have kids so try to always keep them in sight. Rankings and badges don't do anything for me. Get the weather in the evening/morning from snow-forecast, Bergfex, etc. I've never found French websites/apps that good. I know that's a generalisation but....
snow conditions
AsterixTG wrote:
Saw someone with a SH sticker on their lid today in the queue for the Roche de Mio bubble.

could have been me, I was there around 2:30pm maybe. I saw someone on a lift today with snowhead stickers on his skis and had a quick chat, I think he said his name was Boulder
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy