Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt (and Cervinia) 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
@axci, unless I am seeing your post incorrectly you only seem to have posted the “before” picture of the avalanche destroyed Kumme lift station. Here is a picture of what remains of it:

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JohnMo, not sure if I posted incorrectly but the picture should show the same as yours. Incredible how the avalanche has ripped up the whole station and a few pylons. But it could not take out, what I suppose, is the lift anchor.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@axci, only shows one photo
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A nice bonus today. One beneficial side effect of them opening red 15 (so that people can ski off Rothorn down past Kumme even though the Kumme lift station is destroyed) is that they have opened itinerary 18 that comes off red 15 and then rejoins at red 9 leading to Patrullarve. That is always a really quiet itinerary and gets some ridiculously deep snow. It should be great fun at present (and hopefully still will be for me when I am back out this weekend).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like a decent amount of significant snow coming down in Zermatt on the webcams.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Everything appears to be closed, though, due to strong winds! rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lower runs to Zermatt from Sunnegga, and down from Furi are the only ones open.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LOTA wrote:
Everything appears to be closed, though, due to strong winds! rolling eyes

The avalanche risk is causing problems aw well. The train down the valley is not running again because of snow drifts and avalanche risk. Fortunately it does look like things could be calmer for the weekend
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like same as yesterday in Zermatt re lifts and pistes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
twoodwar wrote:
Looks like same as yesterday in Zermatt re lifts and pistes.

A bit better: the lift is open up to Blauherd so gives a decent amount to ski from there. And the lift is open up to Riffelberg so opens up that run down to Furi.

The trains are really suffering. No train up the mountain at all. The Zermatt to Täsch shuttle is suspended. The train down the valley from Täsch to Visp is suspended but at least they can run replacement buses.

They really need these winds to drop so they can clear the drifts and make the risky areas avalanche safe.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any news on Cervinia re what's open, roaks etc. I'm a week off yet so finfers crossed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, anything regarding Valtournenche and cervinia would be appreciated. I’m heading out Saturday for only four days and trying to decide if I should make alternative arrangements. We fly to Geneva on Saturday, planning to ski Sunday to Wednesday. Looks like heavy snow and high winds until at least Monday. I’d hate to go all that way for skiing only Tuesday and Wednesday at best. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stevebuk,

I don’t really follow things in Cervinia as closely as Zermatt. I am driving back out Sunday (getting there Monday). It does look as though this current storm has a few days yet to run. As you say by Tuesday things look good. But there is still a lot of snow (and with it winds) to come Sunday and Monday. Those winds on the Italian side for those two days look strong but not close the whole area down sort of stuff. I doubt if the link to Switzerland will be open either day but by Monday and possibly even Sunday I’d think you’d be able to ski from the top of the area. I guess the link to Valtournenche might be closed Sunday at least as that is exposed to wind as well.

I am sorry I can’t be more help. At present it is not just the wind but the avalanche risk and the snow drifts that are making everything so difficult.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stevebuk, Not sure if you are hiring a car, we are.

We plan a trip over to Aosta or some of the smaller areas should cervinia be struggling to open enough lifts. Silver lining and all - you tend to find some little sweet areas if you go hunting
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No car I'm afraid.... hmm, what to do!
snow conditions
stevebuk wrote:
No car I'm afraid.... hmm, what to do!

The level 3 heavy snow warning now stretches through to the end of Monday. That is for Zermatt but your side of the mountain will be getting hit as well. Lifts on the Cervinia side are open to about two thirds of the top. But it is the highest lifts that give access to the best non-beginner skiing. I'd be surprised if Sunday and Monday were much different given what is coming along. On the other hand Tuesday and Wednesday should be great - but that might not be enough consolation for you having fairly limited skiing Saturday and Sunday.
snow report
This is a good image from Hotel Cime Bianche in Breuil-Cervinia. That is the hotel next to the pistes just up from the bottom of the main village chairlifts. They got fed up trying to clear the snow so have just dug a tunnel thought it and strung up some lights.

snow conditions
JohnMo wrote:
This is a good image from Hotel Cime Bianche in Breuil-Cervinia. That is the hotel next to the pistes just up from the bottom of the main village chairlifts. They got fed up trying to clear the snow so have just dug a tunnel thought it and strung up some lights.

Looks rather unsafe!
latest report
@JohnMo, excellent! We’ve stayed there and stopped off for lunch on their lovely sunny terrace which I presume is now covered in snow! Lovely hotel and lovely people.
latest report
Trains not running between Visp and Tasch, due to a rockslide. No estimate of when this will be fixed by SBB
snow report
twoodwar wrote:
Trains not running between Visp and Tasch, due to a rockslide. No estimate of when this will be fixed by SBB

There are replacement buses. But the road on from Täsch to Zermatt is closed from 8 this evening and the shuttle Täsch to Zermatt is closed from 10. Both due to avalanche risk.
ski holidays
Looks like the trainline between Täsch and Zermatt is staying closed for tomorrow as well. Given that the road is closed they have been running the helicopter shuttle again at CHF70 a pop this afternoon.

The road between Valtournenche and Cervinia is also closed. Just round the corner the road up to Saas Fee is closing from 8 this evening. On Zermatt even some of the streets on the edge of town have been closed because of avalanche risk!

And the snow continues tomorrow. We then get a few days respite but it looks like another dump is bubbling up for Friday.

Not many lifts working and I suspect it will be the same tomorrow.

I am safely in Geneva today but I have to drive up to Täsch tomorrow. Even with winter tyres and 4WD I can see the chains having to go on for only the second time on that road.
ski holidays
Drive Carefully JohnMo, any 'from the spot' updates re -travel would be appreciated, as we are coming out on the 3rd Feb snowHead
ski holidays
The Zermatt Bergbahnen company must be losing an eye watering amount of money, no?
Of course, they can probably afford it but still...makes you wonder of the impact of seasons like this on the local economy...
snow conditions
Not to mention mountain restaurants
snow conditions
shiva_71 wrote:
The Zermatt Bergbahnen company must be losing an eye watering amount of money, no?
Of course, they can probably afford it but still...makes you wonder of the impact of seasons like this on the local economy...

It is an interesting question. This is a really quiet time of the season. The “huge snow” stories are actually pretty good publicity after a couple of poorish seasons. As long as this gets sorted before the big February half term crowds start pouring in it will be OK for the resort i’d have thought. And then there is the fact that Easter is a sensible time this year (1 April) so there should be big crowds then as well.

I was talking to a friend who lives in Randa (next village down from Täsch, so two down from Zermatt). They were saying if there is not another drop of snow you could probably ski the whole resort until June on the stuff that is there now.
latest report
Getting a bit worried about going in a weeks time when seeing this report: https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/level-4_avalanche-risk-remains-elevated-in-southern-switzerland/43839370
ski holidays
any news on Cervinia side? Road access ok etc?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrived in Cervinia this afternoon. Seems like we were the last coach up as others have had to be diverted to elsewhere (Milan, apparently). We have been advised that it is unlikely that any lifts will be open on Monday 🙁.
Still, glad we got here at all!
snow report
@Caspar, Just seen on their site:

All roads up and slopes closed tomorrow.

has it been raining much in town as weather sites seem to suggest?

Fingers crossed for saturday for me Happy
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, no sign of rain just above town - been snowing steadily since we got here. Never seen this much snow here.
ski holidays
Just posted on other social media:

We announce that the Municipality of Valtournenche has prohibited the circulation of vehicles in all roads of Breuil-Cervinia.
For that reason, in case of urgency, the Police is available to accompany those who need, using their snowmobiles. To request the service, please call +39.0166.949073

Crumbs!
latest report
Still snowing here. Just walked down the road into town and had to wait while they brought down roadside accumulations of snow that were an avalanche risk. Silly amounts of snow.
latest report
@Caspar, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

So normally I take 2 sets of skis with me, this year up until last month I was planning on taking my Titans for most days and Head SLs for the Icey days.....

How things change in a month

Now ill be taking my Titans for the Icey days and the FX95Hps for the normal piste days.... Boom Happy
snow conditions
Well that was lucky! They have now closed the road up the valley to Täsch. Fortunately the nice policemen opened the barrier for me and I have made it up here. Having good winter tyres, 4WD and persuading them that we have an apartment here did the trick. A fairly snowy road for the last few miles. At least the chains stayed in the boot but there were a couple of times I thought they'd be coming out.

It was rain up the valley as far as Sankt Niklaus but snowing beyond that.

I won't be skiing tomorrow though. They've already said the Täsch to Zermatt rail and road links will be closed. Only helicopters doing the trip at present (from right outside my window - noisy bugs!).

Here's a recent picture of an avalanche between Zermatt and Täsch showing how dramatic the cloud of powder kicked up can look.

snow report
And more from social media:

We inform that, due to the persistent snowfalls, the road between Cervinia and Valtournenche will remain closed until tomorrow, Tuesday, January 23rd.
Any new info will be announced as soon as available.
snow conditions
The avalanche risk on the Swiss side has been moved up to the maximum of 5 again until 6 tomorrow evening.
ski holidays
Looks like the Cervinia lifts might be closed again tomorrow 🙁
Rental shop wouldn’t rent skis to a mate - apparently they had been advised by police not to rent out any skis today. New one on me.
snow report
Avalanche risk has been reduced to 4 on the swiss side this AM.
latest report
https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Media/News/liveticker
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy