Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
+1, this is the place for Tignes weather info Happy

Better visibility this morning but now as I type (from a long, late beery lunch in Pignatta) the snow is banging down like it's on a mission. The bus is currently looking like the favourite piste for the trip back to Le Lac wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chocksaway wrote:
It was pretty much a white out again although there was a break around 11am which allowed some reasonable skiing. It was windy aloft so we stayed relatively low. The pistes were hard beneath a 7cm layer of fresh snow down to 1900m where it turned into something resembling porridge. Off piste felt pretty similar. I am sure that when the higher areas are accessible the fresh snow will be better. Around 1230 it really started hammering it down so discretion overrode valour!

We went up to Pisaillas on Monday. In the breaks the sun came out and it was stunning, but the cloud breaks had all gone by 12pm and the gloom really descended on it by 2pm. The snow up there is superb though and there was over a foot of light/fresh, if you could see anything.

We left for Geneva at 4pm and the drive down to Bourg was illuminated by a stunning Les Arcs, sitting there in glorious sunshine!! How different to the heavy snowfall and semi darkness we had just left in La Daille!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm flying out on Friday so have also been monitoring these weather reports so thank you very much.

My first trip to the area having only really snowboarded in La Thuile a few times.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^ x 4 - Thanks folks.

This morning was tantalising! The village had received 13cm of snow, 25cm higher. The sun was out but there was a lot of hazy clouds about and the webcams foretold of doom from the west! So out we went, pistes superb down to 1700m, off piste there was light snow above 2500m, occasionally bouncing off the stuff below. But to play with the words of The Free it soon became:

All white now baby, it's all white now
All white now baby, it's all white now

There was lots of layers of quite thick cloud and it snowed lightly from about 1030am, followed by heavy showers with big flakes this afternoon. Here's a long shot of Val Centre as we descended to lunch:

So to the forecast - tomorrow is likely to be awesome fresh snow and blue bird conditions. With the snow and the wind the pisteurs will be noisy in the morning, some lifts will have a late start. It will be very cold in the morning, but temperatures will rapidly increase so it may well be a day for 'the dance of the 7 veils'. Also the snow will transform rapidly in the strong sun, so a good night to go sparingly on the sauce and get out early. See you there.
On the other hand, what nature gives she can also take. Thursday will be a shocker, it will be blowing a gale and it will be snowing most of the day down to 1400m, especially in the morning. On the third hand Friday looks OK, sunny periods and light winds in the morning, light snow showers in the afternoon which will get worse over night which of course brings us to Saturday, the snow showers will continue through the day (there may be the odd break and a glimpse of the sun). But it will be snowing down to Bourg so snow chains to get in and out, queues are likely. If you are coming next week it looks quite a bit cooler, remember the thermals.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hello

Is there anywhere in Tignes where I can leave a couple of pairs of skis for a week?

Next winter, I'm out for a week before Xmas then home for a week then back out for New Year. It would therefore be great if I could avoid lugging my skis on a couple of legs.

I've seen that you can store bags via the tourist office but not clear if that's possible for a whole week.

Many thanks
Simon
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bar shaker,

You’ve missed nothing today.
We arrived at 1pm yesterday (Monday) after putting our trip back again another day due to a family bereavement.
Bourg was VERY wet yesterday on the way up the hill so interesting that in the space of a few hours and within a close proximity the weather conditions can be very different.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@simonopt, Putting them in for a service with an agreed pick-up date may be cheaper than carriage and a lot less hassle.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@S@mm084, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
historically have any runs down les brev been opened over mid april?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sn00boarder wrote:
historically have any runs down les brev been opened over mid april?

Runs to Breviere normally open in April.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tigski wrote:
@simonopt, Putting them in for a service with an agreed pick-up date may be cheaper than carriage and a lot less hassle.

Now there is a very good idea. Thank you. Any recommendations of best shops for a service in Le Lac?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@simonopt, Ski Fast at the top of the Rue de La Poste. Jean-Charles has a huge 'man cave' where he keeps quite a lot of people's skis. Having your skis serviced there (and maybe a bottle of whisky) will probably seal the deal.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@chocksaway

Brilliant. Thank you Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi, anyone know if public transport can be used for a day trip to St Foy ski station for a day trip to Tignes, returning late afternoon, early evening, please?

Or if not, roughly how much a return taxi Tignes Le Lac-St Foy lift station would be?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@PeakyB, Not sure, as you would have to take a local bus to La Thuile and then find a navette to St F (not sure about those). A single taxy to Bourg is about €90, so a finger in the air: €120 for a return.

Well to describe today I need a new box of superlatives! There was a lot of fresh snow, blue skies and gentle breezes and I was with Evo 2 on an off piste jamboree. We started with a run down Grizzly for route assessment, all passed. So it was onto The Thumb, much fuller than normal seasons - fab snow. After a trip up the Tov we came down the Lavachet Wall (excellent, occasional bump off the bottom). A bus to Val Claret allowed access to Col de Ves via Tichot and a traverse round to the western side of the Grande Balme where we had the turns of the season. Fresh untracked snow to well above the knee. So good we did it twice! To get to lunch we did a different variant of the Lavachet wall, where I managed a forward roll and was awarded 5.9 by the Russian judge! After lunch it was all about the aspect (ie out of the sun) so up to the Eye of the Needle and down Vallon de La Sache - fantastic and then a trip on the Marais chair to Dos Rond - untracked. Back home for tea and medals.

The Thumb:

Lavachet Wall

Grande Balme:

Vallon de la Sache

Dos Rond:

And now the weather: The sky will progressively cloud over tonight and light snow will start around midnight. Tomorrow will be snowy, cloudy and windy especially in the morning, so delayed openings and high lifts closed. As last night was no sauce tonight may include a few glasses of red! Friday will be much better, quite mild, sunny periods in the morning and more cloud in the afternoon. It will start snowing around hire shop return time and continue all the way through Saturday. The snow on Saturday won't be that heavy but it will be snowing to Bourg, chains and queues! Sunday will be much colder with some sunny periods and some snow showers all the way down the valley.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, looks like you had a marvellous day! Thanks for the weather update- we have to drive to Bourg to stock up before friends arrive on Sunday. Tomorrow or Friday.....,better roads or better skiing...,hmmm.
snow report
I'm amazed you did the Lavache Wall after last year's tragedy. If it goes (it does several times every year), the ditch makes it impossible to survive.

Braver than me.
snow report
deleted
ski holidays
Nice pics chocksaway
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
I'm amazed you did the Lavache Wall after last year's tragedy. If it goes (it does several times every year), the ditch makes it impossible to survive.

Braver than me.

Well if I avoided skiing anywhere that had suffered an avalanche I guess an indoor skidome would be all that’s left!
Joking aside I am sure that a proper assessment was done especially after the tragedy and I know from his posts and a very brief ski with mike he is competent enough to make his own descisions
It’s an adventure sport for goodness sake!!
latest report
Well, the light was flat in Tignes this morning but the wind and snow took until late morning to arrive. Very busy going down to Les Brévières (Melèzes closed) and a huge queue for the Sache gondola, neatly circumvented by using the chair and the Boisses gondola. The view from Bagus is currently wind and cloud and snow, and the plan for this afternoon is to order another bottle and remain "off piste" for the rest of the day Happy
ski holidays
Hmm any idea why Melezes was closed?
ski holidays
snowornever wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

Braver than me.

Well if I avoided skiing anywhere that had suffered an avalanche I guess an indoor skidome would be all that’s left!
Joking aside I am sure that a proper assessment was done especially after the tragedy and I know from his posts and a very brief ski with mike he is competent enough to make his own descisions
It’s an adventure sport for goodness sake!!

We all regularly ski slopes that can and do slip, but the Lavache Wall is certain death if it slides... with a bag & with a transponder, none of it will matter. The problem is the gully below it. Victims are carried into it and then buried under many metres (8 metres in the above tragedy). Even if you could be instantly located, you would not be dug out in time to survive.

alansk wrote:
Hmm any idea why Melezes was closed?

Melezes piste gets closed when the snow above avalanches onto it. The slope above is blasted by the morning sun and becomes unstable at this time of year. On a sunny morning after fresh snow, you can sit at Les Melezes Hotel, with a coffee on the deck, and watch the slides coming down.
latest report
@bar shaker, All about personal choice really and I was with an off piste instructor. I am not decrying what you say but the same applies to many of the off piste routes in the EK even some of the more benign ones such as Familial where you can collapse a cornice into one of the sink holes and easily be 8m under.

We woke to the words of Galaxie 500:

Listen the snow is falling over town
Listen the snow is falling everywhere

The weather followed the forecast pretty much except the snow was very light initially (especially the showers in the early hours). Not surprisingly, I decided on a rest but the intrepid guests went out and returned after 35 minutes so that pretty much sums up the conditions.

So what's in store? The snow will fizzle out around midnight tonight and Friday will be a day of sunny periods and clouds which will thicken after we have gone to the pub. Light snow will start in the early hours and it will be snow almost down to Bourg. Initially the falls will be light, the sooner you leave the better really, but as it will be much colder the snow will accumulate so chains/snow tyres are highly likely to be a requirement, more so later in the day as the snow intensifies. Sunday looks similar cloudy and light snow throughout, it will be another couple of degrees cooler, more like winter again. Monday and Tuesday will be two peas in a pod, sunny periods with light snow showers perhaps slightly heavier towards Le Fornet as there will be a gentle (but cold) easterly breeze.
snow report
@chocksaway, I agree it's all about personal choices but the sink holes are easily avoided, the ditch at the bottom of the Wall isn't, if you are unwittingly being carried into it. Those killed last Feb all had avi gear and were with a very experienced local guide. Last year's events are worth a read of what happened, again....

http://echomag.co.uk/features/2017/tignes-avalanche-update

After so much greyness and gloom, everyone wants some powder in the sun. I know that a lot of people read what we post here, without getting commenting themselves. Some of the most dangerous places in EK are very easily reached from the lift system and I would hate that people see any of our posts as somehow endorsing places as being 'OK to do'.

I'm off doing some heli into Italy in just over a week so I hope I don't come across as being critical or trying to spoil anyone's fun.
snow report
http://henrysavalanchetalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Off-piste-and-avalanches-free_1_0.pdf Page 2
ski holidays
On our way... can we have some sunshine like this please

ski holidays
@Timg60, I wish you'd asked a week ago, the sun has just answered your wishes and it's glorious here, at least for the moment snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@moosepig unfortunately I don’t think the sun gods are smiling on me for the drive up tomorrow. Stopping just south of Paris tonight and driving up in the morning. Was going to go through the night but think I’m going to have to have my wits about me for the drive up from moutiers. 😄
snow report
Funny old day! The weather was a little late clearing but we set off anyway. The first run was down Lognan but by then freezing rain had started, bad light is bad enough but bad light and goggles with a layer of ice is nigh on impossible. So we stopped for coffee to wait for the weather to sharpen up and follow the forecast. 40 minutes later it did (but left some spooky cloud on Double M):

After a trip up the Col de Ves chair which was busier than I have ever seen it we decided to do Grande Balme. However, we encountered an act of mass stupidity by a group of 15 ahead of us who traversed across about a metre apart and then had a WI meeting in the middle of the exposed slope - well over a ton of loading. We stopped on some rocks and tried in a number of languages to stop any more people going onto the slope, but heh ho they skied round us. A quick traverse left and down allowed us to escape. The snow was great but the blood pressure higher! There seemed to be a power failure in Val Claret for a few minutes so we eventually got to Tufs via a passenger lift and onto the North Face of Borsat, excellent snow and freshtracks:

As frantic Friday was now in full flow it was time for an early finish (POETS Day anyone?).

The weather is a bit unpredictable at the moment but it is going to get quite a bit cooler. The cloud will thicken tonight and it will start snowing in the early hours. It will be light initially but intensify mid morning but it will be snowing to Bourg by mid morning, so snow tyres or chains will be needed. The earlier you leave the better. Sunday morning will see breaks in the cloud and a bit of sun before snow showers in the afternoon. Monday looks like starting cloudy with a few sunny periods later but cold in the easterly breeze. As for Tuesday its a lottery, I'll see if its worth saying anything tomorrow! However the end of the week does look better.

The good news about the travel is the airports over here should see no problems apart from Geneva where the Motor Show is still going on so delays on the roads will be inevitable. In the UK, unusually, there will be intermittent snow/sleet showers all over the country on a strong and therefore bumpy easterly wind. Fasten those safety belts. So it is difficult to tell where the delays will be as the odd degree temperature rise could turn it to rain or go the other way necessitating runway clearance and aircraft de-icing. Again depends how lucky you are feeling! On the roads we are expecting 31000 vehicles arriving and 27000 leaving so queues are inevitable without the weather. It could be a long day for those arriving later.

In other news both Tignes and Val D'Isere have crossed the million skier day threshold this week. That's about 5.4% down on the same time last year, mainly due to the shocking weather earlier in the year. On the plus side in Tignes accommodation bookings are up 5.5%, every cloud has a silver lining!
snow report
One look out of the window in Le Lac says this is a laundry day. Except that this is day 6 of 6 and the last day on the mountain this season for our little group, so like the loonies we undoubtedly are we'll be going out in it. Not for long, I suspect!
snow report
Sit rep: the Choky with rum at Rosie's is tip top Twisted Evil Outside, however... Skullie wet snow, intensifying. As forecast. Looks like a "lunch in comfortable shoes" is in order Very Happy
snow report
Well it was quite miserable today so I got a note from Matron because of a runny nose and sent out my guests who have reported various degrees of not pleasant weather. It was a bit warmer than forecast so that has made it better for the roads but skiing in the tree lined areas was a little damp. Up on the Grande Motte it was cold and windy but the snow and the light were better. It started snowing heavily at around 2pm, as the major traffic jam is still not past Chambery it may be a long drive this evening.

This week in Tignes sees a couple of major events in Val Claret where it is likely to be a bit hectic around the village and the half pipe. Firstly we have the Ultimate Ears Freestyle Tour World Cup Half Pipe Final. And for the forth year in a row its European Snow Pride, the resort is draped in the rainbow flag:

Welcome to one and all!

The weather continues to perplex, so as a summary the next few days are going to be mainly cloudy with a few light snow showers and it will get progressively colder, in what order is a bit of a conundrum. Tomorrow wil be mainly cloudy with light snow showers in the afternoon, the sun may poke its nose round a cloud in the morning, temperatures will be like today. Monday will be cooler, one forecast goes for sunny spells, another for now snow and sunny periods, watch out for a sharp easterly wind. Tuesday will be a couple of degrees cooler and we are likely to have sunny periods and a sharp breeze at altitude. Wednesday also looks like being mainly sunny but out of the sun it will be cold, more like January than March.

The weather for the travellers tomorrow will be like today in the UK. It will be windy and there is a chance of a snow shower anywhere, so there will be delays somewhere; where - I don't know. But I would expect cancellations at Heathrow like today. Over here there is also a chance of a snow shower at Geneva so if you are unlucky you may need de-icing - probably not enough to require a runway sweeping.
snow conditions
Thanks @chocksaway, we have some friends on the 0655 from EDI to GVA - I am sort of thinking they may be delayed......more time to get the flat cleaned!
ski holidays
Another good week in Tignes, where 3+ metres of snow hasn't stopped the buses or anything else operating normally. Now sat in Chambery with no sign of our flight out thanks to a couple of cm of snow in southern England. Disappointing to say the least!
ski holidays
@moosepig, whats your flt no, I'll have a shufty.

Edit the Gatwick 4734 diverted to Lyon
BA 2361 left an hour late
latest report
BE9614. Looks like it's on its way here at last, the flight out here is showing as Gate Closed. They just gave out refreshment vouchers 5 mins after I'd bought lunch rolling eyes The fellow in front of me in the queue had just bought a massive tray of stuff when he found out he was supposed to be getting on the bus to Lyon. Ah well, you know what they say... Time to spare? Travel by air! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Cant find a 9613 but 3613 is due to leave SOU at 1247 GMT arriving Chambery at 1552 CET. The only place 9613 is listed is on the SOU website for a departure of 0820??
snow conditions
Yes I had the same problem. Even the FlyBE website refuses to acknowledge it exists. It's a ski charter, Inghams/SkiTotal/Esprit/etc. 9613 coming out, 9614 returning. Thanks for looking snowHead

ETA: yes, the outbound flight was scheduled for 0820! It's still on the ground in Southampton.
snow report
P.S. @chocksaway, not out on the mountain today? The weather seemed very promising as we left this morning (7am), blue skies and a bit of wispy cloud; Mont Blanc looked stunning bathed in sunshine Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy