Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
30cm in the garden this morning and still tipping it down. It’s the perfect Bruson day!

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Tzoumaz 10.12.13 Sunday morning walk back from the boulangerie, snow arrived earlier than predicted, racquettes the best way to get around. Snow falls moderate at first:

http://youtube.com/v/hJr5xyKfzWE

but now (10:30CET) heavier. Forecast to fall all day and early evening, tailing-off overnight. Hopefully we'll have a clear window to drive back to GVA in the morning before the next wave hits lunchtime Monday (11.12.13). Otherwise we'll just have to stay here for the next few days .....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Up to almost 60cm and getting heavier 😳

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Add to this what is forecast for the next few day....the next time we see grass/rocks will be April, maybe May.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can’t wait to get out there on the 23rd
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Took this about an hour ago, while returning from a snowshoe walk.

MeteoSwiss just issed an 'Avalanche Level 4' snow warning for La Tzoumaz area.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

75cm in the garden when we left and still going strong!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice work from the snow Gods ❄️❄️❄️

How much more to come?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Trying to decide where to book in mid-January, just scored a deal on plane tix BOS>ZRH; with four of us, figured we'd drive instead of train.

These pix are starting to tip the scales...it would be our first visit to Verbier.
Can anyone fill me in on ease of access to/from Verb if based in La Tzoumaz?
Thanks
Ted
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nosefacekilla, it’s a 10min gondola up and then a 10 min ski down the other side to the Mayentzet lift from where you access the Verbier lift system. The risk is that the gondola taking you back from Verbier is very old and prone to closing in high winds. There is also a risk that the path you need to take on your way to Verbier sometimes closes if there’s too much snow due to avi risk from above in which case you can take down the old gondola and get a bus from the bottom across to Medran and into the Verbier system. If you’re intermediate level and ok to take the risk of being restricted to the La Tzoumaz system in case of bad weather days it’s ok (La Tzoumaz is good in bad weather because of the trees). Personally I’d stay in Verbier or Le Chable/Nendaz (if you’re Looking for cheaper accommodation). Enjoy!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
(Obviously, I'm biased, as our apartment is there) La Tzoumaz is a typical 'satellite' resort, so that probably says it all, pros and cons. There's a couple of articles on it

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/dec/06/satellite-ski-resorts-verbier-four-valleys-switzerland
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2296527/How-Verbier-cheap--stay-little-sister-La-Tzoumaz.html

although I'd actually say that it's more suited to self-catering types than luxury catered chalet devotees. As mentioned, the downside is that the lift back up from Verbier to Savoleyres is the oldest/slowest in the domaine, so prone to being closed in high winds. And the piste down to Mayentzet can be closed if there's too little, or too much (avalanches) snow. Perversely, the télécabine from La Tzoumaz to Savoyres is relatively new and fast. The village isn't a party venue (the usual bars etc but not Verbier-class nightlife). However, most of the area is north-facing so the snow is less prone to thinning. And it's quieter (at busy times, knowledgeable Verbi-ites often come over to escape the crowds). The luge run is fun, if it's open. I would say that the limit of a relaxed day's ski are the slopes above Siviez (Combatzeline). When we want to ski Veysonnaz we drive over so we can relax and do that area without worrying about the trek back.

Taje a look at our Rental Agent's website to get an idea of what's on offer: http://www.carron-immobilier.ch/en/ [Property-Type=Rental / Category = includes the living room, so 2 bedrooms = 3 rooms apt]

As always, it depends a lot on what you are looking for.

Another thought: if you have a car, you might consider staying in the valley and trying out a variety of resorts in the Valais. There's the usual cheap accommodation, but take a look at the thermal spa resort of Bains de Saillon (https://www.bainsdesaillon.ch/en/). Not as up-market as the well-know places like Leukerbad - they may have some special offers as you're going outside the school hols. Nice thing about staying in a thermal resort is that if the weather is terrible, you can do the spa thing instead. And it can work better for a mixed group where one or more aren't necessarily keen to ski every day. Just an idea.

The Swiss Tourist website is a good place to start looking: https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-gb/suggestions/winter-holiday.html

TBH there are probably resorts closer to Zurich than the Valais and I'd always concede that Verbier is pretty central for the 4 Valleys - if the links to the satellites (La Tzoumaz, Nendaz, Veysonnaz) are down/congested, then it has the largest area and off-piste options.

Finally, if you're driving, then check on the parking arrangements. Our place, like many apartments, has underground parking included, but not all do. Hotels parking is often outside or may gloss-over having to use expensive public car parks.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
what a great feel in this town with all the snow - just generally happy folk about...there is a lot of snow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh boy that looks fabulous...

https://www.facebook.com/powderextreme/videos/10155667865036210/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LaForet & @BobinCH : Thanks for the info, very helpful!

The self-catered thing is what we're looking for...rip all day, refuel and crash. We're more into making turns than having two+ hour lunches...
Nightlife is not a concern, maybe dinner out one night but that's it.

LaTz looks like a good option, and we'll have a car so we can get around. I think we'll stick to the 4 Valleys, plenty to explore. Off-piste looks like it'll be good (if the long range forecasts are relatively accurate). I spend a lot of time in the trees...I'd rather get dialed into the mountain than ski a new one every day, so maybe I'll splurge on a guide first day to speed up the process.

Like some of the rentals on LaForet's link, but they only do full weeks; we're looking Weds-Sun, so I'll poke around to find something.

Pray for snow!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@nosefacekilla, the best trees are in Bruson. But you really don’t come to Verbier for trees! Try Airbnb for 5 day acommodation. And from what you’ve said consider Le Chable. Quicker access to the best off piste and Bruson option for bad weather days. Rungsp and (I think) Steve Sparks have apartments there and can probably advise you!

For guide try and get with Powder Extreme - they made the video linked above and will find you the best terrain and conditions

With a car i’d recommend doing a Chamonix Day if you haven’t been there. I think it’s covered with your lift pass and is an hours drive from Verbier
snow report
@nosefacekilla, as he says...for your criteria Le Chable would be best.
A Powder Extreme day would be a very good choice.
I would strongly suggest Olly Norris http://www.ollynorris.com/index.html as a guide to show you some spots, especially if you want to skin a bit.

To find somewhere perhaps call Chalet Appartment Rentals https://www.chaletapartmentrentals.com/property-type/holiday/ as they have are based in Le Chable and have more choice there. Don't be put off by the full week prices and dates...everything is negotiable these days.

Less that an hour to drive to Chamonix from Le Chable.
snow conditions
@nosefacekilla, Le Chable does give you greater options. We don't rent our place out, but I have a good friend who may have some accommodation choices for that period. Also Le Gietroz and L'Ardze Hotels in Le Chable are simple and good value or the newly opened Una Lodge. If you want to go budget, there's Mont Fort Lodge, in the lift station. You don't get closer the lift than that!

Powder Extreme are running camps 22-26 Jan and 29-2 Feb, which are great value and a fabulous way to explore the terrain. A number of us are booked on to the earlier one, this will be my 12th!

I think Chamonix's only on the pass if you have an annual one. But still worth a trip.
snow conditions
I know @Steve Sparks' friend's place...would be an excellent choice.
snow report
i am staying at an apartment run by la ruinettes....in la chable - pretty damn good if ur asking .....

they have a website - Guy is a good bloke.
latest report
@Steve Sparks, just sent you a pm for rental contact

Thanks for everyone chiming in, saves a ton of time!
snowHead Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@rungsp, @Steve Sparks, can someone send me a contact for @Steve Sparks friend's place? Thnx
snow report
@nosefacekilla, sorry, been a bit busy. I've sent you a pm.
snow conditions
The legend in the Attelas couloirs on Friday 😎
https://instagram.com/p/Bcu_e5XHhNv/
snow report
@BobinCH, absolute legend, still no excuse for nicking your line though wink
ski holidays
Bluebird today...

http://youtube.com/v/lqqd0ZORH1c
snow report
Busy then!
ski holidays
Still fabulous powder everywhere and no one on the slopes - so wonderful
latest report
Anyone skiing today?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will be on Sunday 😄
snow conditions
I'll be there tomorrow. If anyone is out there too: give me a shout!!
ski holidays
Best conditions in the forests - bruson / vallon d’arbi / col des mines traverse right / creblet traverse right. More pics here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=134748&highlight=
ski holidays
The boss opening up Mont Gélé...
https://instagram.com/p/BdDmcX2B1xf/
ski holidays
@BobinCH, Is that S Couloir?
snow conditions
Bouquetin couloir. What a line 😎
latest report
Pistes are sublime everywhere. Chassoure and Gentianes have some lovely chalky, grippy snow in them. Off down the Vallon D’arbi today.
snow conditions
Started properly snowing around 1700 last night and still going. Maybe 15cm fresh so far.
ski holidays
Some fantastic skiing yesterday. Well over half a metre in places. Got lucky and was in the first couple of dozen in Chassoure when it opened. Mt Fort sector closed all day, so more of the same today.

The incoming system on Saturday looks phenomenal. Wet lower down, but huge accumulations higher up.
snow report
Raining to 2000m and nothing open above that point. Verbier Savolyeres bubble closed. Avalanche risk 4.

At least the apartment’s looking clean and sparkly!
snow report
Already raining at 2000m? Eeeesch with it getting warmer and heavier this avo that will make for some seriously gloopy snow until it cools down again 😟
snow report
Love NYE in place centrale. Last night it was rocking!

http://youtube.com/v/rO-U0GtGVZg
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy