Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
@rungsp,
Where is the best skiing? I'm off there next week.(Or at least Nendaz)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
100% coverage.
Best snow...up! Higher=better
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rungsp wrote:
100% coverage.
Best snow...up! Higher=better

Cheers do you know if the link to Nendaz will be open as it always seems to close when we go?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Links should be open until 15th when Nendaz closes. Maybe previous years was due to a lack of snow and prior to the snow making that came in recently on the link?

There will be great skiing everywhere next week. Colder temps and more snow at the weekend will set you up nicely. Then warm weather comes in so head high, ideally up towards Mont Fort
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, Even in good snow the Plan de Fou cable car has shut and the Tracouet Prarion link at the beginning of April.
Thanks, we usually drive up to Siviez and ski from there but if the party is splitting up it would be good to be able to ski back without getting a bus.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not too shabby today...

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We came home from La Tzoumaz on Tuesday after 4 days skiing and really, the conditions are far better than usual for this time of year. You should have a great time. We did Plan du Fou and the télécabine up from Prarion was running but, as ever, packed sardine-like. The run down from PdF to the base of the télécabine was bashed on one side, so looked much easier than the usual mogl-y surface. The rest of the area was relatively quiet even at the Weekend. On our final day (Monday 26 March) was the first time that the very base of the area around 1500-1600m was at all 'sugary' - the rest of the pistes were very sound. And it snowed lightly on the morning of 27th.

Just be sensible if you go off-piste. We talked to an English instructor from Verbier and he was very sad about the people killed in the Vallon d'Arbi: they weren't on any itinerary (quite the opposite); it was after 3pm; on a south-facing, steep slope; and had no AVI equipment. Not that it would have helped given they were buried under 6 metres of snow anyway. If nothing else remember - just because there are tracks already there doesn't mean it's safe for you.

On piste should be fine. If you're up at Savoleyres bear in mind the signs saying that the link is closed ('Carrefour fermé) are misleading. This is true (because of avalanches) but there's an alternative, proper piste which is bashed, back down into Verbier. You still go down to the gate but there's a new piste that turns to the right and takes you to the road. You have to remove your skies, walk across the road, and then ski down the learner slope. At the bottom of that there's a nifty ski-track across the road that takes you through various back gardens to the base of the Mayentzet button-lift. Sounds complicated, but isn't once you've done it. Alternatively, just catch the old gondola back down from Savoleyres into Verbier.

Flying into Geneva last Thursday (22 March), I was surprised at the long queue at passport immigration. However, the EU line moved quite fast and it was probably no more than 20 minutes to get through in the end.

Coming home on Tuesday, easyJet texted that there were long delays and they were opening baggage checkin 3 hours before: there were no queues at all. However, they did manage to comprehensively screw-up the boarding process completely and allowed the non-speedyboarding passengers to get on the 'plane before refuelling was completed. So they all had to get out their seats, and re-exit the 'plane and stand on the tarmac and stairs. Then it started raining. They they let them on again (but not the SB people). Only to have chaos as the injured were boarded. And finally have to deal with a bunch of irate SB business types who ended up with their coats and bags spread along the lockers behind them. Really, how difficult can it be to get boarding right?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A few more from the sensational conditions yesterday!

Smokey on the way into the Attelas couloirs

3 Fingers Virgins

M25 looking perfect

Best snow on upper pistes!

Sluff racing in the chimney

Want to ski the dam!

Sunny and warm today. Cold temps and more snow coming tonight. The season that keep on giving!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ouch. Savoleyres lift shut this afternoon due to wind. Some unhappy Le Tzoumaz residents stranded in Verbier 😱
Family outing to 3 fingers

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some of the best conditions of the season yesterday...
https://instagram.com/p/BhEfPm_BpCM/

http://youtube.com/v/DV3duHRW0M0
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow cover is outstanding, yesterday's warm weather caused a bit more hardback than was apparent yesterday, but stunning conditions for the time of year.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
April has been outstanding so far!
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=137402&highlight=
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mont Gélé and Mont Fort freshened up with 10cm of windblown powder

http://youtube.com/v/fCDAbh0kwsg

Looking forward to the additional 5-10cm that fell overnight....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still fab conditions at the weekend

Finally scratched an itch on Sunday. Bec des Rosses central couloir

Steep arc the top

Freshies in the central

And relax and enjoy the view
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
First PdG’ers coming in. Super conditions for it!

ski holidays
Emotional!

ski holidays
Bear in mind that the PDG full course isZermat to Verbier,,,i.e. The Haute Route.

With a guide that typically takes three or four days.

The real ultra elite teams go on Friday and there are high hopes that the all time record of 6.52 will be beaten!

Some very fit friends of mine are doing it (done Ironmans etc)...aiming for sub 12 hours!
snow report
@rungsp, your prediction was right, both men and women set new course records. 5:35 for the men, destroying the previous record, 7:15 for the women.

What an achievement!
ski holidays
Our very own Snowhead @michandchris finishing the Zermatt -> Verbier at lunchtime today. Chapeau!

And here he is still going strong on the final downhill into town after 12 hours of skiing on those matchsticks 💪

http://youtube.com/v/SDI4CT8rBtk

Looks like we’ll be joining him in 2020 🤪
snow conditions
All downhill from Col de la Chaux

Logan dishing out encouragement!

ski holidays
PdGers - pussies! On one late season foray to Verbier we outpaced a team down the piste towards the finish. Then we realised they only had 5 skis between the 3 skiers Shocked

Quite an effort to knock 1:17 off the record.
ski holidays
@DJL, I think the previous record was 5;52, so 17 minutes, but that's the equivalent of taking 6 minutes approx off the marathon record!
ski holidays
@BobinCH, you are going to do it next time?

Just 48 hours ago I asked you...and you protested "No way! I'm not crazy!"

Fickle...very fickle Very Happy

Do it for charity...I'll sponsor you...
snow report
@rungsp, i’m doing it with you 🥇🏆🍺
snow report
Snow forecast for the closing weekend. Damp squib or powder heaven? We shall see. Should still be fun though whatever the weather...

ski holidays
I skied Verbier on Sunday. Lots of snow above 2000m - doesn't even really feel like spring underfoot there - and just about possible to ski back to Verbier 1500m although pistes starting to shut and lots of slush/waterskiing. It was, overall, great.
ski holidays
@tripowski, "just about possible"??

We have enjoyed a glorious week here, skiing every day.

The sweet spot is from 10.00am until 2pm, but by 1pm the very lowest slopes are a bit too slushy for my taste...but I am a slush-phobe. Higher up it it still lovely until 3pm, but we download from Ruinnettes at that time...a slush-phile could certainly ski down..

Pure blue skies all week (except a bit of cloud yesterday).
Pistes in 100% perfect coverage condition, top to bottom. Just enough lifts open...and very few skiers.

Whatever he said...the snow is 100% all the way to town, and it will be like that on Sunday when it all closes....there is so much snow still to melt, I've never seen anything like this season here, and I've been coming for twenty years.

What a season it has been from our first trip around the 7th of December (with mega snow), the dodgy rainy days around New Year (best forgotten!) and the best Verbier powder day I have ever had right in Half Term week. Loved it!

Last day of the season for us tomorrow, a lazy lunch at Cabane Mont Fort and then it will be up to our friends Bobinch and Steve Sparks to close this thread at the weekend.
snow report
We saw our first bear on the mountain today...a Swiss first for us.

Bear Grylls Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I based that on the fact that some of the runs between Ruinettes and Medran were already closed, and those that were open had some increasingly large patches of bare earth/tarmac and standing water that we had to negotiate, particuarly from Carrefour and below that. I didn't mind the skiing where there was snow, but there were some detours involved to keep to an open skiable path.

As you say, from Ruinettes upwards is just fantastic at the moment.
ski holidays
Trying to persuade @Snowpenguin the season isn't over and we want to go skiing this weekend (due to the holiday I have a 4-day weekend, but he'd have to book the Monday off). Is there enough open in Verbier to make it worth the trip from Basel? Preferably for off-piste/touring. The other possibilities are Engelberg or Andermatt which are quite a bit closer for us. @BobinCH's stoke on Verbier has got to me this winter though wink
ski holidays
@tripowski, ah...if you were trying to get down La Rouge or one of the closed areas I can understand that.
The route down to Medran is 100% snow.

@Gämsbock, the lifts shut on Sunday but there is a huge, HUGE, amount of touring still available.
With a car you could drive up the valley a bit and park near Lourtier and tour up and way beyond Cabane Brunet so that would be a good no-lift day too. Have a look at your maps.
ski holidays
@rungsp, cheers, I'll have a look tonight. Shame about the lifts, thought everywhere open for the weekend would continue till the bank holiday on Tuesday. I'll have to do a comparison of terrain availability.
latest report
@Gämsbock, the Tuesday is not a holiday in Valais/Vaud unfortunately. Mont Fort will be open until Sunday so there’s plenty of high altitude skiing, but the question is whether we will have any fresh snow and to what altitude... without fresh, the warm temps mean it’s an early start for touring and corn eg Rosablanche. If there’s some fresh steep skiing options off Mont Fort and Bec des Rosses open up. If you want to take the risk perhaps do Saturday/Sunday in Verbier and then head to Engelberg for Mon/Tues on the way back?

latest report
@BobinCH, thanks, the split centre is interesting idea to consider. I'll make some tentative plans and keep an eye on the forecast...
snow conditions
Last day family fun

latest report
Pistes were ace in the morning right down into town until the Foehn got up and we dived for cover into the Dahu!

ski holidays
@BobinCH...you? Into The Dahu?

Who would have predicted that ? Very Happy

What a season...see you in the summer...
ski holidays
It's amazing who you bump into in the Dahu! Very Happy

As one would expect after this winter, we experienced everything yesterday, from skiing in t-shirts in the morning, a minor white out at lunchtime and multiple lift closures because of the wind.

All in all, the best of my 15 winters in Verbier.

Let's do it all again in November.

In the meantime, skins on, let's hike!
snow conditions
Steve Sparks wrote:

All in all, the best of my 15 winters in Verbier.

Let's do it all again in November.

My best too. Just pips 2010 with its awesome April.

Great to ski with @Steve Sparks, @Rungsp and many more, new and old.

Love Verbier more with every passing year and more knowledge. But wouldn’t recommend it to others - it tracks out in minutes and is full of bankers 😉

Enjoy the silly season and here’s hoping for a powdertastic November 2018 #backtotherehab
ski holidays
Decided to can our plan to skin to the St Bernard Monastery this weekend. All looks too risky with recent snowfall, high winds and forecast high temps.

Maybe a low level hike in the forest.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy