Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2017/2018-and useful links.

Poster: A snowHead
The new detachable 6-man chair for Cote Chevalier has just been ordered from Poma Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Real shame for Steve. Lovely bloke who took some great video footage of me skiing in the sit ski with Sophie.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The plan was to drive 2 1/2 hours to the resort which can't be named with Skevinski and meet up with Weathercam, as he was driving out that way after dropping his OH at the airport......
Woke up this morning to find it was puking here, so hardly seemed worth it and went instead to Monetier, where we skied the "secret piste" a few times......
Kevin admiring our first tracks:

IMG_2962

And then went on to find boot-deep on the Crête de Lauzieres, me just about to drop through the delicate passage (1000 foot drop either side of a narrow ridge) Confused

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 13.32.04

In the Lauziere trees:

IMG_2963

It got a bit sluffy in the trees, so we decided to go higher up as the sun was making an appearance, but were thwarted as all the lifts above Bachas were closed due to avalanche blasting, never seen that in the middle of the day, but as the temps were rising, there was a lot of natural slides going on.......
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@KenX, Just proves that Friday 13th can be lucky for some. Who would have expected such a year after the disappointments of the last few? A solid morning's work. Thanks Ken.

My skiing still has a ways to go but now feel I'm getting to grips with powder and other off-piste conditions Practice makes perfect...and a little coaching does not go astray... Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quick question, looking at New Year 2018, how's the "overall" snow record for that time of year?? I know that's a how long is a piece of string question Wink

We'd be flying into Geneva, so is a 3 hour drive about right??
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kitenski, really, really would not like to second guess.

We've been out here now for the past 5 or 6 New Years and whilst Xmas has been hit or miss (big time) the white stuff has made an appearance in time for NY - but I would not like to guarantee it at all !!!

I've never driven to from Geneva to here presume that the options are Frejus tunnel or via Grenoble would have thought more like 3.5+hrs as up past Chambery from here via Frejus is circa 2.45
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last day here on the slopes, blue sky, corn pistes, great lunch with all our chums and a round of Genepi served by Darren Turner's Dad Very Happy What's not to like........

That is one gnarly 80 year old, don't mess with him Laughing

IMG_2976
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@KenX, twas indeed a great day.

Elaine and I clocked up nigh of 50km this morning - first run down to the Clot chair saw this marmot running along by the piste, then crossed over and saw him running back up to his three mates who were playing around at the bottom of some trees.

We did Vallons / Cucummelle twice and again marmots were popping their heads out as we were going up the chair.

Then over to Monetier where the pistes were nigh on deserted, before back to the Bivouac for lunch.

And think my pic of David is better Toofy Grin

Going up the Granon early tomorrow if weather looks ok see how far the road is open before skinning up to the Gardiole.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1525047320
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good ski tour up the Gardiole yesterday though had to leave early, and parked up just below Les Tronchets, with around six cars already there, so 20 min boot pack to put skins on

About ten people going up which was a surprise. As I was on my own I was pushing the pace (1,000m two hours) and arrived at the summit with only one guy in front who turned out to be a local Brit, Greg, that's the second time I've met him up there like that!

Ski down was way better than of late and Les Chiens were on fire (though one is semi broken now).

Sky did cloud over Noon onwards and we had light rain and drizzle and cloud prevented a good overnight refreeze but nice and sunny today so Puy St Vincent bike ride me thinks.

Yesterday afternoon we drove over to Cervieres and as far up the Les Fonts fonts stopped by the snow 20min walk from Le Mur.

We then walked up to a vantage point where we could see where we were touring last year and still loads of snow on a NW facing slope.

However after tomorrow weather looks distinctly unsettled again right into next week Sad

And last night saw four piste bashers out, looked like they were coming down the Frejus, don't know whether they were bringing them back down to the valley or maybe they were clearing the road down from Frejus which is meant to happen but should imagine if that is the case will still be a of snow on the road up there, but again could be good for touring options!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weather not at all good at the moment, that said went for a MTB ride with Les Chiens and OH yesterday on the track in the woods above Guibertes.

And today with a strong chill wind but bright though with some menacing cloud around decided to see how far we could drive up the Granon, about 6km to 1920m we then walked up to around 2,100 where the summer shepherd lives with their patou and marmot city down below with the chiens going crazy not knowing which whistle to chase.

What was staggeringly impressive and extreme was to watch three kiters kite up the very steep face of the Grand Area mountain!

One guy was way ahead of his mates though could not see what he did once he was at the summit.

The dot at the end of the arrow is his kite.

And as you can see, still looks like winter on the other side!

Geant was mobbed with Italians flooding across for the holiday tomorrow though my neighbours have decided to go back to Turin as the weather is not brilliant, though I hope / think tomorrow might not be a write off, but will be chilly again!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, shame you didn't video the snow kiters, sounds very impressive!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
2018 - Trilogie au Lautaret from LVQ Production
https://vimeo.com/257915878
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BertieG, nice vid, thanks Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bet he went down like a sack of poo with those guys touring up to Pic Blanc and on the summit Toofy Grin

That's all where we go touring , apart from Pic Blanc as that's always like the M25 as it's on everyones must do.

Trouble is with the kiters they can so quickly track out an area that you might have spent two hours climbing to and you can see how they go back and forth traversing across the face.

Luckily not too many have the skill sets to get up there and you also need the right conditions.

I've only kited twice up there playing around and compared to the sea where I'm reasonably adept in big waves and strong winds I find snow kiting a little dumbed down, but for sure if I had the option to kite up and then ski down I'd take it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not quite the same in Wiltshire! Though good fun.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1888cb0zcqdixsb/remote48d868cb0000038b.MOV?dl=0
I wonder if there is enough interest on here to start a snow kiting thread?
I would love to know where the good spots are, Col du Lautaret looks a bit advanced for me.
snow conditions
@BertieG, just outside Monetier on the road to Le Casset is a big wide open field where they practice before going up to the Lautaret.

And I'm not too sure about the amount of interest that there would be on here for a kiting thread?

When I did it I went straight to the Lautaret with a certain Lewis Crathern (Google him) a mate from back in the UK who was staying with me for a couple of days as he fancied giving it a go.

This is a pic of me

This was from my blog way back in 2013!!!

First snow kiting session up at the Col du Lautaret, I was on skis and an Ozone 8.5 and Lewis was on a snowboard with a Best 13, we did find the wind a little flukey, whilst other more experienced kiters seemed to be ok, but all things considered you would not have known we were first timers Smile
Wind was very light at times with the kite falling out of the air, but gradually wind increased and that combined with a little more understanding of what to do things started to come together.
Lewis managed to get up along the more experienced guys and managed some "air" but some of the guys were getting amazing "flying time" well into double figures in seconds.
Where I was on a 8.5 others were struggling on 10's wind speed was only around 7-10mph if that!
ski holidays
Hi everyone, probably not the most appropriate thread to ask this question, however I reckon this is the most visible place on snowheads when it comes to things Serre Che. We have bought an apartment in Serre Che (St Chaffrey to be precise) and we are looking for any recommendations for reliable contractors who can help us renovate the place. Some electrical work, removing the wallpaper and painting the whole place plus some bathroom, possibly kitchen work is what we are looking for. Let me know if you know anyone half reliable and also if you have any tips about this topic in general (best period to do this, where to buy materials, anything really). Thanks!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 28-05-18 20:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Good summer job for Kenx Very Happy
snow report
@stevew, Very Happy

@irbis, pm sent.......Welcome to Serre Che!!!
ski holidays
@stevew, plus One
snow report
@irbis, we have an apartment in Villeneuve and Herve Fanton from Decosol in Briancon has just redecorated the whole place for us. A fantastic job and left immaculately clean. PM me if you want his email. He doesn’t speak any English though...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy