Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2017/2018-and useful links.

Poster: A snowHead
That’s really sad. Saw this in the times earlier.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, @KenX,
Searching for a challenge for 2019? How about this....[url=]http://www.montagnes-magazine.com/actus-der-lange-weg-1917-km-skis-travers-les-alpes-vienne-nice[/url]
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last couple of days Spring has arrived in the valley and I've been touring on the South facing slopes above Monetier where you climb up pass Chapel St Anne.

Yesterday snow was not quite soft enough above 2,100 but with yesterday's warmer temps and overnight freeze then we had classic Spring snow pretty much all the way skiing right back down into Monetier.

Temps on the patio this afternoon in the direct sunlight were in the mid 20's so tomorrow should be even better!

Always great views of the Monetier pistes from up there, though twas a bit of a hazy sky

And sweet sound of skiing spring snow.

http://youtube.com/v/dD5ZRph6FNA
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been thinking about it for many a season - and that is to try a good pair of full on Slalom Carvers.

I do have an old pair of White Doctor piste skis that do hold an edge, but not to the same degree as you see people hackin around on.

With a forecast that is not actually happening as it were best option to take one day at a time and today started off without a cloud in the sky.

So armed with my Völkl SC Race Tiger Uvo 170's I was borrowing met at the CDB and we skied nigh on deserted superbly groomed pistes off the Clot Gauthier.

I really don't think piste skiing can get any better than that.

I gradually dialed into the skis and started to let them run. We then headed over to Grand Serre and coming off there on our way to Prorel I misjudged a bend as I thought we might be going straight on so tried to make the bend at the last minute but failed and shot off the piste, luckily into the soft snow, major wipeout with friends saying it was 9.5 out of 10.

My Strava shows I was doing nigh on 64kph as I flew off the bend in the piste. Head, neck and shoulders a wee bit stiff but luckily I was wearing a helmet, which those that know me know I don't usually wear one, but I did suspect that I might be skiing faster than normal on skis I'm not use to.

We did a few more runs down deserted pistes to the Aiguillette.

Then sky started to haze over so plan which was to go back home and then go back up a couple of hours later to go and look off the back of the Col de Mea has been postponed.

Blue dot marks where I left the piste to see how good the skis were in the soft snow Toofy Grin

https://www.strava.com/activities/1474315717
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That's more like it, makes a change from rain Very Happy
May have to go up and check it out.........

Untitled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice !! Will snow depths reach the magic 4m? https://www.serre-chevalier.com/hiver/enneigement/ . Showing 395cm at 2800m today.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looked a bit murky here, but as I rounded the corner at Briançon to enter the Serre Che valley, blue skies appeared, 20cm of fresh on our usual private off-piste stashes, tvm snow gods Very Happy
Mrs Weathercam enjoying the pow:

IMG_2926
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice to see you’ve left some snow for us. See you Tuesday. Heading towards Dijon to stay overnight. Need a glass of wiene
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like it was nice when we left on Sat morning. Sadly I was outvoted 3:1 and we had to hit the road instead of squeezing another bit of skiing in..
Drive over the col was interesting, why do VW sell cars for use in north Europe with such unsuitable tyres? (Obvs. its for economy but grief they are rubbish)
When we drove over there were a few people parked up and getting geared up for a spot of touring, it looked great up there. I was quite jealous.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hells Bells, move a snow machine? Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lots of snow in Serre Chevalier and more snow above 1900 metres yesterday but rain below. Not much fun skiing lower down by yesterday afternoon. Have kids starting to drag me down black runs rolling eyes . Woken up this morning and weather looks a little better than expected.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All the lifts closed in Puy st Vincent after thunderstorms this morning and the suns out now Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BertieG, that's quite amazing - not a clap over here !
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We’ve had it all today; started with snow, turned to heavy rain, thunder, lightening, blizzards, closed the lifts, sun comes out! Back to heavy sleet now with rumbles in the distance. Forecast is good for tomorrow though, fingers crossed.
ski holidays
Definitely heard thunder at Pointless this pm!
snow report
Looks very wet snow/ sleet at 1500 metres. Was chucking it down with rain in Briancon a couple of hours ago. Suspect the snow line is around 1700/1800 metres.
ski holidays
dan100 wrote:
Looks very wet snow/ sleet at 1500 metres. Was chucking it down with rain in Briancon a couple of hours ago. Suspect the snow line is around 1700/1800 metres.
. Should be a fair amount of new snow higher up
snow conditions
I see it did reach the magic 4m this morni g at 2800m.
snow conditions
"Should be a fair amount of new snow higher up"

There was Very Happy
As I'm sure you know............ wink
snow report

Cool
snow report
Skevinski and I parked up in Plampinet in the Nevache valley and hiked up toward the Crête de Lenlon, which overlooks the Col du Granon with a view to visiting the Ancien Fort de Lenlon, but would have taken too long as it was really warm (19*) in the valley and we were concerned about the snow....
So we abandoned the fort visit and found some nice N facing pow on the way down Very Happy

Our tracks in the couloir to the side of Skevinski's left ear:

IMG_2949
snow report
@KenX, Nice pic, Ken Very Happy

Total climb to our high point was 600m approx. The final skin up the visible couloir was surprisingly long and steep (guidebook S3: 30-35 degrees). 300m above where the photo was taken. Ken got the short straw for those hard yards!

Somewhat disappointingly, while we had the valley to ourselves on the way up, we met three skiers traversing the col from the south (Serre Chevalier) side and they got to ski the steep couloir first. But hey ho there was space for everyone to have their own track.
latest report
Final day of operation of the Prorel sector of Serre Chevalier is tomorrow Sunday 8th April. Seems a shame when there is still so much snow but these things have to be planned well in advance.
snow conditions
News for next season, a new 6 seater chairlift to be installed. I assume this will replace Cote Chevalier and Pré du Bois.

https://www.inthesnow.com/new-6-seat-chairlift-for-serre-chevalier-next-winter/
snow report
I do hope they don't pull out the Crêtes drag.............
ski holidays
@KenX, not according to what I've seen elsewhere. I think Frejus chair might be coming out too. Pointless will then be even more pointless.

https://www.serreche-ski.net/topic/1168-travaux-%C3%A9t%C3%A9-2018/
ski holidays
Had a great week in Serre Chevalier. Many thanks to Ken for putting together a willing band of helpers to assist me skiing with my daughter. Met some great people and had some great times including riding s sit ski in powder for the first time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, not quite true - they have big plans* for the area below us including a new lift at Pointless, subject to further development. You have to remember there's a little thing call Club Med that they have to take into account!

Though elsewhere it does say Frejus and Pre du Bois drag will be scrapped, but how do you get 1,200 Club Med clients up the hill, unless they get off Pointless and ski down to CDB but can't see that happening.

*taking out the equestrian center and the ice racing circuit, according to an estate agent!!

The new chair will start just above skid alley (top of Lacets) and finish where the Cote (slammer) currently finishes.

Then proposed works are: used Google translate but the basics are there to be worked out.

Some of the logic for replacing chairs with gondolas is due to the threat of Global warming and people in the far off future taking lifts down on a more frequent basis!

The new DSP linking SCV to the communes of Salle les Alpes and Monêtier les Bains has been signed. Future investments are conditioned by the creation of hotel beds in these municipalities.

"It provides € 134 million investment from the delegate (Serre Chevalier Vallée - ski area, 100% subsidiary of Compagnie des Alpes), These investments will be essentially grouped over the first 10 years and include a share of 83.5 million € which will be devoted to ski lifts and spent as 2,600 new hotel beds are built.
Among these lifts in project:
- The new chairlift (6 seats) Côte Chevalier which will be built in 2018
- The new Méa chairlift will replace the Barres and Méa ski lifts
- The replacement of the DMC Pontillas by a modern gondola arriving at "La Fermière" as soon as the planned construction of 800 hotel beds in Villeneuve will be initiated.
- The replacement of the Bachas chairlift with a modern gondola lift as soon as the planned construction of 1,400 hotel beds at Le Monêtier is underway.
- The replacement of the chairlift of Eychauda by a detachable chairlift (6 places) arriving directly at the col de Cucumelle.
- The Cibouït chairlift will be modernized using equipment recovered on the chairlift of Eychauda
- Other modernization operations concern the Aravet gondola lift and the Yret and Casse du Boeuf chairlifts (this one being eventually replaced by a gondola lift).
- During these operations will be dismantled the chairlifts of Fréjus, Cucumelle, Aya and Lauzières as well as the gondola Frejus.

And then proposed time line

Voici les principaux éléments et l'échéancier indicatif de la nouvelle DSP pour Villeneuve et le Monêtier :

2018 :

TSD de Côte Chevalier.
Compléments neige de culture.

2019 : L'année du Monêtier !

Réaménagement du front de neige avec un tapis roulant et le remplacement du TK de Pré Chabert par un TKE.
TSD du Col de l'Eychauda.
TSF de Cibouit avec tapis (déplacement de l'actuel TSF du Col de l'Eychauda).
TK versant Pelvoux du col de l'Eychauda.

2020 :

TC du Pontillas - sous réserve de 800 nouveaux lits chauds.
Liaison Sporting - sous réserve de 200 nouveaux lits chauds.
Réaménagement de l'espace débutant de Fréjus.

2021 :

Luge hiver/été sur le front de neige de l'Aravet.

2022 :

Réaménagement de l'espace débutant de l'Aravet.
Gros travaux de neige de culture.

2023 :

TC du Bachas - sous réserve de 600 nouveaux lits chauds.

2024 :

Gros travaux de neige de culture.

2025 :

TC de l'Aravet (la TC actuelle aura 50 ans).
Neige de culture.

2026 : Rien.

2027 :

Téléporté de Méa - sous réserve de 350 nouveaux lits chauds.

2028 : Rien.

2029 :

Téléporté de la Casse du Bœuf - sous réserve de 350 nouveaux lits chauds.

Commentaires personnels :

Espérons que les nouveaux lits chauds se feront bien selon l'échéancier prévu...
Attendre encore 10 ans pour avoir un téléporté à Méa, ce serait malheureux. Les TK des Barres et de Méa auront 59 ans en 2027 !
Le TS de l'Yret ne fait pas partie de la DSP, c'est la raison pour laquelle il n'apparaît pas dans ce programme. Il faudra cependant bien le remplacer à plus ou moins brève échéance (j'espère, à brève échéance) car il a déjà 33 ans.
De même, et bien que ce soit moins criant, il faudra bien, à un moment donné, rénover ou remplacer le TSF de la Cucumelle.
Quid du TK du Clot de l'Étoile ?
La DSP ne prévoit rien pour les pistes (Combettes, Goudissard, Tabuc, etc.).
snow report
And as for the weather - looks like road trips on the cards to make the most of the Retour Est - Sestrierre now an option as faster to get to than Abries and it closed yesterday.

But it does look grim for this week payback now for all the powder we had.

Was speaking to Fred up at the Lauraret about the big Retour Est coming in and he said he just wants a Retour Soleil Laughing
ski holidays
@Weathercam, feeling a bit like that myself. Weather in UK has been pants for the past week. We're off to VT on Friday, but right now I just feel like heading south to the Med instead.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
.......The new chair will start just above skid alley (top of Lacets) and finish where the Cote (slammer) currently finishes.........

Just been looking up there as we have a clear view to top of Pointless and Frejus chair and it makes no sense to have the new lift started 100m up skid alley when the most logical thing it to have it start top of Pointless ???

Then the question is how would you get all the little Club Med toddlers on to the the Frejus Mea Meadows, bus them to Frejus gondola ???

Going to be interesting !!!

And see that Pointless is closed down so obviously that's the end of Club Med for the season (empty car park confirms that) and there's no one using Frejus..........and so the end of season melt down starts Sad

Might try and have a conversation with Dominic* if he's in the Cocoon, he's the surly git who is head honcho of Villeneuve ESF and bought it from Eric last year, but no doubt there will be a major element of Lost in Translation and shrugging of shoulders.

*stands out the Chazelet every morning with his clipboard directing his troops and is a known fact that he positively hates Anglais but loves talking great English rock bands a la Led Zep
snow report
@Weathercam, Pointless will certainly be less pointless if it is going up to the Fermier.

This thread is attempting to make sense of it. https://www.serreche-ski.net/topic/1168-travaux-%C3%A9t%C3%A9-2018/
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, I'd seen that and the investment thread - think that's where I saw it was starting at the Lacets - and elsewhere it states altitude start of new lift 1875 which is circa 100m up from Pontillas all a tad bizarre, but then the new Rocher Blanc was not the most logical of new installations either rolling eyes

There has to be a survey and an actual plan as work will start soon, of course after they move all the snow that's going to be up there for a while. Might be worth popping into the Pi Mai and asking them, but that's probably shut as well.

Anyway we'll soon see in the summer exactly as we're always up and down there.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, that's a really useful site, just signed up for it, thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
I'm in favour of chairs gondolas are pants for sitskis. Perhaps they should copy the lift at montgenevre that alternate gondolas and chairs
snow report
Talking of which......
Back in January, @dan100 came to stay with LynnX and I (and the dogs) for a long weekend in order to take his sit-ski qualification so he could take his daughter Sophie out without an instructor in tow.
Happy to say he passed first time and Dan then contacted me to say he was returning to Serre Che over Easter with the family and could I organise some help to shadow him on his first week with a new sit-ski and help getting on and off the chairlifts.
Wow, I was stunned by the effort and attention one has to pay to oil the wheels of this machine, even getting Sophie's wheelchair across the soft snow to the chairlift was hard work!
One of my friends helped out too and his comment to me was "that was a humbling experience"........
But, I have to say, massive chapeau to Dan, all his efforts have paid off and boy, can he drive a sit-ski!

IMG_2944

IMG_2945
latest report
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Very Happy Very Happy .
snow report
So yesterday, rain in the valley turning to heavy wet snow and quite heavy at times.

Game plan was to go up after lunch and see what it was like.

Had a mate who was driving back from Turin having dropped his OH off who was flying back to the UK to see her knee consultant after many issues following on from a knee replacement, that said things were looking up as the past week or so she had ventured back on to skis.

Steve posted various images as he was going over Montgenevre and with the weather clearing the WhatsApp was buzzing.

We went up from the Casse at 13:00 and was evident that there was 5-10cm of fresh. We skied down and took the Gauthier up and decided to ski down the face under the lift as it was still quite untracked.

However it was tough going with not a lot of fresh on a real crusty cruddy base and I was having to work hard to try and ski it well.

The others found it tough and they are both at that level when they need to ski tougher conditions to get the most out of it when it's good, always a catch 22.

The trouble is that for one of them, that particular day was not the right conditions to be invoking "speed is your friend" and as I was back down on the piste talking to one of our party who opted to take the piste down, out of the corner of my eye I saw Steve stack it at speed.

The rest of the group came to his aid, and at first we thought there was gear failure as one of them skied back down with a ski whilst Steve came down on his bum. He said that Steve had hurt his knee, but lower down off the slope Steve was walking through the knee deep soft snow not too bad and we all thought he was ok.

After a rest he put his skis off and went to ski down with me behind him, but as he went to put a slight turn in he just collapsed and said he felt his knee go, he then tried to stand up and it went again, with that I said to him I was off the get help and to the others to put X skis up.

So blood wagon arrived and I skied down with him whilst having a bit of a laugh but knowing it was probably his ACL, been there seen it done it etc except I went first class, heli Toofy Grin

He saw the doctor just down from the Frejus who examined him and after various tests told him it was 90% ACL rupture but MRI would confirm.

And today he went back to Dr and got a referral to Briancon radiologie where we went this afternoon and he managed to get an MRI for April 23rd, so a bit of a result but not in the overall scheme of things Sad

And as an aside....
We were all having beers in the Cocoon last night and I met these Scots and we were talking and one of them said "ahhhh what a great afternoon you canna ask for better conditions " which sort of left me stumped when we'd all been saying how shite it was rolling eyes

I did tell him that as we'd been out all the season we maybe had some better days Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy