Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
@karin, @tonyswift, am happy for you guys to join us, maybe on Monday or Tuesday, but you will need to rent full Arvi gear. You can get it at Christina Sports in Arc 1600 or maybe somewhere in the stations you are staying at. If you get organized then send me a PM here or on Les Arcs Winter facebook page and we can try and plan something. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowcrazy, We have a session with Newgen on Monday, but will see what we can do about ARVI gear if Tuesday might work. I might have a set, my daughter has put hers in the post to me, so we'll see if it arrives before we leave tomorrow.
@tonyswift, I think you are out the week after us, we are arriving this Saturday.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@karin, Just been looking at Ski Club of Great Britain - the Instructor-Led Guiding - and actually, a couple of those might be perfect (assuming they have space for the week we are there)!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowcrazy, thanks for that. Although I am a reasonably good skier (advanced intermediate probably) I don't really have any off-piste experience but one of the Instructor-led Guiding sessions the Ski Club of Great Britain runs (via Evolution 2) looks to be perfect for me as an introduction to off-piste. Once I have done that I might venture out with you guys - I expect I will need Avi gear if I do the off-piste course anyway so will need to loo into that...

@karin, yes, you are right - we arrive the day after you leave!!! Getting very excited though!!!!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have just been looking at the livecams

So it it the last day of the half term holidays and looking at the livecams it appears the resort is absolutely heaving. This looks as if it's the busiest day of the season. The queues for Vagere and Combettes, yes a queue at Combettes, look like 15 minutes each and the centre of 2000 looks packed.

However it looks like snow in the clouds so hopefully we will get a refreshing dump before I get there on the 29th. I am looking forward to it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's not too bad. Strangely, it was quiet yesterday with virtually no queues, perhaps they were all across at La P as suggested on that thread.
It may look worse that it is - vagere was the last lift I took at about 11.30 and it wasn't really much wait - no standing at all, just a 3 minute shuffle.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Friday 9 March. The weather has changed again! But the powder is still here, at least high up in the mountains and although there were still some big queues early in the day. By the afternoon it had quietened down.

After the crazy queues of the last few days it was time to take a different approach to avoid the busiest places. This time a quick drive up to Les Coches from the valley meant we were on the Bellecote by 10.30ish and had the chance to make a lap in the bowl and still finish the North Face and get back to the valley before 3pm as some members of the group needed to get back for work.

There were still some queues on the main lifts on the way up to the Bellecote Glacier and the visibility was in and out most of the day. However the untracked powder up top made the extra effort worth while. After plenty of fresh tracks back to the Bellecote chair we headed up top again and down the North face.

The snow in the higher areas was almost as good as yesterday, but lower down it became very heavy and sticky. With warmer temperatures today you had to take particular care on the steeper slopes to avoid setting off a slide or sometimes it was necessary to test the stability before going down a particular route. Better to make it slide first than be caught in one. But always check below to be sure you do not put others in danger. My advice, if in doubt walk away!

With rain forecast for the next few days conditions are likely to become more unstable.

There was a helicopter making passes above us looking for someone needing assistance and I heard later that there had been a rescue on the North Face but I shall wait for the official news tomorrow before posting any details. I hate unsubstantiated gossip!

Once back in Les Arcs the queues around Peisey did not seem as bad as on other days and having picked up the car we were back in the valley by 3pm.

A shorter than usual day for us, but still really fun and challenging at times. If you are interested in seeing what conditions in the high mountains were like today take a look at the photos in the March 2018 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?ref=page_internal

With a very poor weather forecast for tomorrow it is hard to say what the plan is right now so anyone interested in joining in the fun tomorrow. You need to PM me before 9am for meet up details.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
🚘 To help all those driving home or arriving this weekend!

From Les Arcs facebook page: Drivers, this is for you :

➡ Heavy traffic announced for departures.
➡ It is advised not to leave the resort between 8:00am and 11:00am saturday.
➡ Special equipment recommended on some sections of the road.
➡ Roads are clear in most places.

33k cars leaving and 30k cars arriving + GVA motor show...
More info 👉 http://bit.ly/2DqA4KC
Local roads info on R'Les Arcs 👉 http://bit.ly/2ndpfkc
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tonyswift, Cabriolet is free all day every day, so no need for a pass. Having said that the run between 2000 and 1950 is a relatively challenging blue and may not be your best option to lap for a beginner on first day.

If you are concerned about buying a pass they won't use, then I'd rather propose going all the way down to Pre St Esprit and getting the (free) bus back to 1950/2000 - and then potentially doing it again.

@willirvine, as per the other replies - no point in a full area.

1 day in La Plagne should be enough (I can easily fill 5 days in Les Arcs, and I've been going there for 15 years); if you want to do 2 then it really is only a few euros more to get the +1 onto your original pass, than the cost of the full pass; and if you want to do three, then you booked the wrong resort...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There have been times when I've found the vallee du L'arc run (the one down to pre saint esprit lift) to be not as straight forward as you'd expect and I've seen a lot of still-snowploughing beginners struggling (big icy patches between lumpy bits of soft snow and often quite crowded).
Also, it's quite long with no get out option once you've started.

It's a great idea to get around the no ski pass problem but I'd suggest you test it yourself first and then decide if your friend will enjoy it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Arctic Roll, thanks for that - really helpful. It's not me who's the beginner though. I am a fairly experienced skier (as is my friend) and the run down to Pre St Esprit sounds like a brilliant idea if we have time!! The kids are ok on most slopes and our wives (who are the near-beginners) will be happy checking the bars out on the first day anyway!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arrived Arc 2000 last night. Enjoyable Eurostar journey except leaving your Kindle on the train. Grrr. Hoping it was picked up by cleaners and Eurostar protocol is they leave in Bourg station for a week. Have a number to ring but they are not there till Monday. Annoying.

Anyway no rain last night when we arrived as was forecast which is good. Those who know us will know we are very lazy so can't see us out before 12 but dark clouds around and looking at the restaurant opposite we know depths are still 3 foot deeper than this time last year. Forecast is light snow today and a decent amount tomorrow. The snowline is the debate, ranging from 2000-1000m. I am the optimist....Likely to board today. All good.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lazy day today..Was fully dressed ready to go out, boots on the lot when I realised the backside had completely gone in my salopettes, everything off and out with the spare pair.

Anyway set of down from 2000, up Bois and across to 1600, up Mont Blanc, back to 1600, up Cachette, down to 1800, quick lunch, back up Transarc, few laps of the bowl and 3pm time to go shopping.

Conditions on slope around lunchtime were soft, snow line was about 1800-1700m, rain below. In the bowl the snow was great. Stopped snowing around 5pm. Overall condition for this time of year are incredible, a very odd bit of bare ground showing but in most cases real deep base. The snow was soft, slightly wet so good boarding conditions. Off piste was hard packed but on piste great.

Forecast seems light snow during day tomorrow, with heavier snow overnight, much lower snow line. All good. Very tired, boarding kills. Some dull photos

From the Cachette lift, on the side hardly anyone goes to

Looking up from 1800 beside Vagere lift

Below Bois chair heading down to Pre Saint. it was in great nick this afternoon and warm bottoms on the Pre Saint chair appreciated.

Mrsfatcontroller doing what all mothers should be doing on mothers day. Boarding on Mont Blanc

http://youtube.com/v/QquxfPhc234&feature=youtu.be
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sunday 11 March. This weekend was Race weekend for some of the older members of Les Arcs Winter group which includes a number of Snowheads,.

Saturday some of us braved the rain and wind and went out for a warm up on our race skis. We did a big 'On Piste' day of Les Arcs and La Plagne going from Arc 1600 and Arc 2000 all the way to Champagny Village and back to Les Arcs via the Roche de Mio. An excellent way to prepare for today's race.

Sunday we went up a little later for a warm up before the race after lunch.

A bumpy course over many ruts! Considering we were using the Lower Cachette FIS Race piste it was rather disappointing that the piste was not prepared better for our race. But it was still a fun event with the winner's and those that did not do so well all enjoying themselves.

This evening we had the prize giving and our table had many trophies. Well done to all those that took part and brought away 6 of the awards plus everyone was given a goody bag and I even won a Helmet in the prize draw! Very nice!

Just a few photos of this weekend as the weather was rather wet and windy at times with poor vis and some snow higher on the mountain. Take a look at the very mixed conditions. And our trophies of course! https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

The Off piste is rather heavy right now and the pistes are OK, but do have some sticky patches although the fresh snow higher up although wet was quite good to ski. I guess after all the amazing powder we have been having fresh wet snow is not so nice. But for all those just arriving snow conditions are still great for this time of year!

For anyone interested in joining us tomorrow, please send me a PM in the morning before 9am for details. What we do will depend on the weather. We are hoping for fresh snow!

For all those that have just arrived I hope you have a great week. Colder temperatures and more snow is on the way!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowing lightly in Arc 2000, its not long started. Forecast is light snow during the day, with heavier overnight, continuing into tomorrow. Lets see. Anyway. Enjoy work everyone.
snow conditions
Quote:

From the Cachette lift, on the side hardly anyone goes to

Except me
latest report
Can anyone recommend a ski hire shop in Arc 1800. Thanks in advance
snow report
Stopped for food in Valandry. Light snow here but dumping down 1800+. Visibility shoite.
ski holidays
We're coming this weekend for a week, cannot wait Very Happy

We'll be based near the Peisey and Vanoise lifts, can anyone suggest a route to do a few laps as a warm-up on the first afternoon for an hour or two - needs to be nice easy blues for the beginners/intermediates in our group if that's possible.
snow report
@zebedee, we are also out this weekend for a week (literally can’t wait!!!!).

We stayed in Peisey last year and it was real fun.

I would suggest heading up the Peisey lift as there is a little chairlift to the left of the top (called 2300 I think) which you can lap. Nice big wide piste - red one side, blue the other. There are also a couple of button lifts up there and last year the we’re letting people download on the Peisey lift if you didn’t want to ski back down. There is also a little cafe/bar at the top of the Peisey lift and one on the other side of the 2300 from memory.
ski holidays
Boarded again today. Set off from 2000 in heavy snow and horrendous flat light late morning, went down to 1800 and down to Vallandry and did some other runs before heading back in around 2pm as we needed to head down to Bourg. Also, not sure why, but was boarding badly today, had a few too many falls so wasn't too unhappy to head in. We saw heavy snow, light snow, rain, fog, flat light when we were out, very varied but piste conditions are amazing for this time of year. Off piste had softened up too with the fresh snow.

Eurostar have been useless in trying to trace one Kindle left on the train so we went to Bourg to see if it had been left at the station, it hadn't. Now trying to see if back in St Pancreas, wouldn't have been an issue if their customer services team had rung the train crew Saturday night but they refused. Not impressed.

Anyway snowing heavy again in 2000 and forecast to continue all night. Lets see. No photos today sorry, cold hands.
latest report
Monday 12 March. Powder and fresh tracks were the order of the day for us again. What we thought was just a small amount of fresh snow turned into a lot more in some places due to the wind blowing it around. We started over in Arc 1600 and then headed towards the Vagere. Found some fresh tracks on our first little detour so we new it would be a good day.

Had a message that the vis was better over in the Arc 2000 bowl. Headed over that way and up top of Grand Col. Managed two runs down between the pistes and on the black piste nature in better than expected soft snow before the clouds closed in again. Next a fast ski down to Pre Saint Esprit with a few detours to take in more powder. A quick lunch and back out.

Up to Arc 2000 and more excellent snow in the trees of Villaroger before going back over to the Arc 1600 side.

Fun in the Malgovert forest as always and even after a drink at the Altiport more fresh tracks on the way back to Arc 1600 and home.

The pistes everywhere we went in Les Arcs today were quite busy at times, but the fresh snow despite the poor vis had freshened them up nicely. The Off piste was much better than expected and even gave enough depth in places to take a few jumps and land them safely.

Take a look at the photos of all our routes today in the new March Two 2018 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1643228919086901

Anyone wanting to join us tomorrow must PM me before 8.45am tomorrow morning. It should be another powder day!
snow conditions
Snowing lightly in 2000, been some blasting, looks great out there. Not going to be lazy today, out early boarding today.

Made me laugh yesterday. We had left our boards in to be serviced in Equilbre in 2000. They know we ski as well so when I collected the girl asked what monitor, app I used to check whether to board or ski. It was broken English I didn't fully understand but when I did I replied 'I look out the window'. Took a bit before she understood the simplicity of my technical solution. I advised it was an Irish app called 'your eyes'.
ski holidays
Not much to report other than is snowed an awful lot, there was a lot of powder, even on piste and we boarded all day. Tomorrow the sun is going to shine.

Anyway, enough about us. How was work everyone?
snow report
Fed up with the lack of visibility, I want to be able to see where I'm going! Please let the forecast for sun tomorrow be correct.
snow conditions
Tuesday 13 March. What a day! It snowed yesterday and most of the night, By this morning the snow in many places had transformed and it was another POWDER DAY!!

Went over to the trees and meadows of Les Coches and down to Bauche chair today. Fresh tracks in deep powder everywhere we went.

Amazing day! Jumps, steeps, powder, meadows and loads of tree skiing. The day had it all.

The fresh snow has also been great for the pistes and despite it still being busy they are in great conditions and you can ski to all stations across the Paradiski areas. Yes, I agree at times the vis was not great, but if you kept on the pistes in the trees it was OK.

If you are interested in seeing how good it was take a look at the photos in the March Two 2018 Album.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Tomorrow we are off on a trip and the next days I am busy so hope to catch up with people again next week.

Enjoy the powder while it lasts and stay safe! Very Happy snowHead
latest report
karin wrote:
Fed up with the lack of visibility, I want to be able to see where I'm going! Please let the forecast for sun tomorrow be correct.

Yes it has been horrendous at times, looks like you have got your wish and sun shining this morning. Enjoy Cool
ski holidays
Anyone out next week and fancies doing an Intro to off-piste instructor-led guiding session, I have just booked the morning session through Ski Club of Great Britain on Tuesday but currently only 2 booked on it so at least one more required to make it run!! £40 non members or £20 for members with all required kit included!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thefatcontroller, I did, until the point when I fell, off piste on the Grand Col, stretched a calf muscle, and had to be taken off the hill on a sled Sad. That's me done skiing for the week. We may go home on Friday instead of Saturday.
ski holidays
Wednesday 14 March. Our trip to Italy! Today a group of us from Les Arcs went for a play in Italy! For once I was not the one that had to get up early. I was even picked up at my door! Excellent, thanks!

A quick drive to the Ecudets chair and into La Rosiere. Then an interesting ski across to La Tata just above La Thuile for lunch.

We looked around for good snow and although we did manage to find a bit of powder and a few jumps on the way over, the wind has destroyed a great deal of the top surface of the fresh snow on the Italian side. Although they have loads of snow, this means that the powder in many places has been blown away and left a crust that was cooked by the warm sun today. The forest areas and protected gullies proved to be the best places for finding light powder, but mind out for the cliffs.

After a great lunch (much cheaper than France for those thinking of going over that way!) we headed back to La Ros.

Once again found a mix of windy blown snow and a little fresh powder on the Italian side. But once back in France managed to make fresh tracks in some hidden areas on the way down to the parking. Today it seemed that the La Ros side had better snow conditions in the places we skied than in Italy. However with time to explore more spots I am sure you can find other excellent areas on the Italian side as the snow transforms once again.

The pistes are in great condition on both sides of the border and the weather was wonderful today. But the queues on some lifts were very big, but then I am sure they were just as big back in Les Arcs on a sunny day like this.

For anyone wanting to take a trip to Italy for lunch. It is well worth the effort! I recommend you leave early to get to the lift (Free bus from bottom of funi at around 9am) and have cash to pay for your lift pass as much quicker than using your credit card.

Take a look at the photos from today in the La Ros 2018 Album on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page if you are interested in seeing what conditions were like.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1645520405524419

I will be busy for the next few days so hope all those out in Les Arcs have a great time and see you all again later in the week. Very Happy
ski holidays
karin wrote:
@thefatcontroller, I did, until the point when I fell, off piste on the Grand Col, stretched a calf muscle, and had to be taken off the hill on a sled Sad. That's me done skiing for the week. We may go home on Friday instead of Saturday.

Sorry to hear. Tore a calf muscle running the other week, it was bloody painful. Sadly rest is the only cure. Safe travels and anjoy the scenery if nothing else!

Storm today forecast, some fresh snow but also very high winds. Yesterday was glorious, a bit too warm for me but nice to have some visibility.
ski holidays
High winds in the morning meant they started to shut the high lifts and access to/from 2000 but the winds calmed and they reopened. I think the 2nd part of Transarc was shut most of the day? Anyway we skied today so flew around, its nice to jump off a lift!

We did 1800 & 1600. I had to be back for some work calls in the afternoon and we weren't 100% sure if the lifts would be open back to 2000 so wanted to be close to 1600 for the bus. In the end the lifts were open but we were tired so got bus back. Pistes are still in amazing condition, especially for March.

It was due to snow in the afternoon but it has arrived late which is good. Snowing heavy in Arc 2000 now and due to snow until late evening. Tomorrow is looking another good boarding day.

Looking down at Arc1600 with Bourg in the distance.
ski holidays
Quote:

Pistes are still in amazing condition, especially for March.

I expect the pistes to be in the best condition of the season in mid March.
Don't wear them out before I get there for Easter.
ski holidays
@karin, so sorry to hear about your injury!! That's a real shame Sad

@thefatcontroller or @snowcrazy, we are staying in Arc 2000 next week and I have booked a couple of guiding sessions where I need to be in Arc 1800 for 9.15am. Given the fact that the Bois de L'ours appears not to start until 9.15am, I am not sure how I could ski there. Any ideas?? Would you know approximately how long will it take from the bottom of that chair if I am on the first lift at 9.15am? I am a fairly fast skier but my friend is more sensible about speed than I am!

I gather that to get a bus, I would have to go to 1600 and then change. Is that feasible or is it a massive ball-ache?

I am going to speak to the guide once I have a contact number and see if I can meet at the top of whatever lift they take first but thought it worth checking out a few more details first!!
ski holidays
Bois d' is probably about 4 mins but I can time it tomorrow, from there maybe about 5 mins to 1800. Probably less if you can straight line the runs underneath vagere 24 which are pretty clear at that time in the morning.
latest report
Alternative to gain 15 minus would be to get bus to 1600 in time for first lift (mont blanc usually more prompt than cachette) at 9.00, then along bellevedere to hit slopes under vagere.
You'd get to 1800 by 9.15 doing that as I've noted being back up on the carreley at that time. Downside is the bus down to 1600 would mean an early start.
ski holidays
Hmmm.. just looked at yuge app that says mont blanc is from 9.15, but I've been on it at 9.00 in the last couple of weeks.. does it have different hours in the high versus low season?
latest report
@Scamper, Moving staff around. Official is 9.15
ski holidays
In that case not worth the journey down on the bus, but I'm just a tourist and have been standing at the ready and it's barriers opened to Joe public at 9.00. Skiing with late risers tomorrow so won't get a chance to see if it was just a half term thing.
snow report
Thanks guys - best scenario then is to wait at Bois De L’ours at around 9 and hope it opens early. It sounds like even if it is 9.15 we will be able to get there for 9.30 which is actually the start time so reckon we can work around that...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy