Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
Saturday 24 Feb. Despite the high winds and closed lifts at the top of the ski areas we still managed to find some good snow and complete four routes.

As always, changeover day means a trip over to La Plagne without the crazy lift queues of high season for us!

Started with a nice route down through the forest from the top of the Arpette Chair to La Roche. Then an interesting line down from the Grand Rochette to Verdon Sud. After lunch another route down through the cliffs of the Roche de Mio to Bauches chair and finally the Meadows and waterfall gully of the Follie back to the Vanoise Express and home.

A fun day and considering the conditions some good snow!

For anyone wanting to join us on Sunday. PM me before 9am for meet up details.

Hope you enjoy the photos of today in the Last Days of Feb 2018 Album. https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1621581817918278

The pistes everywhere today were hard packed and polished due to the winds blowing the top surface away. Be careful out there as it get's busy and ski or snowboard under control. I think tomorrow will be a level 4 risk day on piste in these conditions as it is likely to be very difficult for people to stop if they are going to fast!

Stay Safe! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sunday 25 Feb. Despite what we thought going up the first lifts yesterday morning we did find the sun for a little while and even some nice snow with plenty of room for everyone to make fresh tracks!

But the whole valley was engulfed in low cloud and they were moving around all the time. So we had a play in the Les Coches forest and hoped the higher clouds would clear again.

But the clouds below were never far away and in the forest the light came and went with the clouds!

Finally another clear spell seemed likely so we headed up the Roche de Mio whilst it was open and a nice route down through the cliffs.

The clouds moved away for a short while and we could see the Chalet de Bellecote chair, but the Bellecote glacier never opened. Then the sun came out again.

Time for a different route and fresh tracks again! Then the clouds started to come back and this time it did not go away again!

Finally we were engulfed in the clouds again and so it is very important to know where you are going when there are cliffs about!

After lot's of fun on this seldom used route it was time for one last trip through the forest.

Finally heading for home through the thick clouds. But despite the weather it had been a fun day.

Take a look at the photos in the Last Days of Feb 2018 Album on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page and follow our routes. See if you can answer the challenge!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1621581817918278

Today, Monday the sun came out, but it started to get cold. I have been told it was very busy on the pistes which are very firm and polished everywhere due to the numbers around. The lift queues were also getting busy. My advice, stay under control and be calm on and off the piste. Make sure you know where you are going if you do venture off piste. There have been some sad stories in the news over the last few days in other resorts.

That is it for Feb. More to follow from the start of March! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Karin,

My friend Jane Lee runs a chalet in Nancroix and she drops her guests off in Vallandry, she may be able to help or know someone who can. Contact her via

www.bluebirddays.co.uk
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@fridge, Thanks, although I think the problem has inadvertantly sorted itself - NewGen emailed us this morning asking to rearrange the times to later in the day cos they're an instructor down and were trying to juggle everyone's bookings around. Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thursday 1 March. It snowed a lot on my drive back to the valley, but it was a disappointment to see no fresh snow from Albertville all the way to Les Arcs. It is cold and windy tonight and maybe more snow will arrive tomorrow.

I have been told there was fresh snow on the mountain today, but the pistes were also quite bad, although not as busy as in the last few days.

Anyone that wants to join me for a ski tomorrow needs to PM me before 9am.

Here's hoping for more fresh untracked snow tomorrow without to much hiking! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Friday 2 March. The POWDER is back in the Paradiski area again! Today we headed over to the forests above Les Coches to escape the lift queues and find some special routes!

After a play in the higher forests we headed all the way to Montchavin off piste. This is not an easy route. My advice, take a guide. There are some big cliff's and other drops to avoid!

Then time for another play in the higher forests before heading back to Les Arcs. Found some challenging drops and steep routes in the trees again before the clouds cleared and we finished the day with the sun coming through at last.

The fresh snow has improved the pistes and although still very busy today, we did not have the icy runs on our return home that we have been getting most days. The off piste is becoming much better, but be careful to avoid slides on steeper slopes.

If you are interested in our routes today and seeing how conditions have changed. Take a look at the photos in the new March 2018 Album, on the Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1632624113480715

Tomorrow I am rather busy, but anyone wanting to join us on Sunday send me a PM for meet up details!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saturday 3 March. And the snow kept falling all day!

Although we had poor light most of the day, it was fresh tracks in powder everywhere you went.

Stayed in Les Arcs today and skied around Arc 1600 in the forests and down to La Grange. Great snow everywhere we went!

Then across to the meadows above Arc 1800 and a few laps of the Vagere Chair before heading into lunch. Great Birthday lunch and nice to catch up with everyone that has returned as the school holidays come to an end.

Finally once more down through the forests of Arc 1600 before heading home.

The fresh snow over the last 24 hours has freshened up the pistes very well. The off piste is becoming soft again and anyone that has just arrived or coming out this week is going to have a fun time although the pistes are still likely to be busy. If you are on the roads tonight then have your chains handy as there is snow on the routes into the stations and it will be quite slippy!

A few photos now and more to follow later! Photos now posted! Follow the link!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1632624113480715

Tomorrow anyone that wants to join us needs to send me a PM before 9am. It should be another fun powder day! Very Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 3-03-18 23:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowcrazy, what are the pistes down to La Grange like or didn't you use them?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arriving Saturday 10th. Long term for that week beginning to look interesting... Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arriving Tuesday 6th. Bringing extra library books! Old age has made a fair weather skier out of me Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alastair, The pistes down to La Grange were good yesterday. We crossed the blue and joined the red near the Funi stop. Today I would guess the snow became heavier, but you could still ski down. Loads of snow right now. One of my friends came all the way down to Bourg again yesterday! Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowcrazy, thanks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sunday 4 March. After the fun of yesterday we had to try hard to do even better! An interesting day today with Blue Sky and Powder in the morning with few tracks and plenty of room for everyone to put down their own powder lines!

After a fun warm up skiing across Les Arcs in untracked powder on our normal route, we headed over to La PLagne with the hope of a Bellecote day! Disappointment! Despite the blue sky and NO wind they said it would remain shut for today and maybe tomorrow!! Very sad!! What to do! Not a problem.

Just as we arrived they opened the Roche de Mio so up we went and a nice route back to Bauches Chair through the powder fields and couloirs on the main face. Route One in the photos.

Then back up again and this time under the gondola back down to Belle Plagne. A fun couloir and great untracked powder fields. Route Two in the photos.

Up top once more and another steeper couloir route and more powder fields all the way to Bauches Chair again. Route Three in the photos.

Route Four was off the top of the Arpette chair all the way down to Pierre Blanche chair through the meadows and forest above Les Coches.

Then back up the lifts before a final route from the top of the Plan Lechaux tow across the meadows and through the forest all the way back to the Vanoise Express, sorry no photos of this route, but it was very interesting!

Finally a nice drink back over in Les Arcs then home.

The pistes we used today were all in great condition in the morning and although busy later in the day, they were still OK and not too polished on the way home. The Off piste was very mixed. Sometimes we had soft light powder, other times a harder base and even some icy patches. But it was all great fun and gave us another great day in the couloirs, powder fields and the trees! Be careful it is a bit slippy on the steeper faces out there!!

If you are interested in seeing where we went today take a look at the photos in the March 2018 Album on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page.

Anyone wanting to ride with us tomorrow needs to PM me before 9am for meet up details.

The weather forecast for tomorrow is very mixed so difficult to say tonight what we will be doing tomorrow.

I hope all those that have just arrived had a great day as well! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monday 5 March. Thought the day would not be that good when the weather forecast came on the radio in the morning! I was wrong!

Better light than expected. Plenty of powder everywhere and the only time we saw anyone off piste today was when we had a little play in Malgovert forest on the way home!

After meeting up we headed for Arc 2000 and the warm up couloir above Arc 1950. Then back down the freeride area from the top of the Varet chair for a bit more couloir training.

Up top of Aiguille Rouge (a bit of a queue) and down the first section of the old black run before a trip off the ridge down to Villaroger for lunch. I have not been down this route for a few weeks and it was great to have fresh powder from top to bottom of the main faces right to the avalanche area that needed to be crossed.

After a good lunch at La Ferme a different route to the Comborciere Chair from the top of the Villaroger Chairs through the forest where we still found more good powder!

Finally another long route from the top of Malgovert forest all the way to the Mid Station of the Funicular and home.

The fresh snow on the pistes made everywhere really pleasant to ski in the morning. Even in the afternoon the lower pistes were still OK despite the crowds. The off piste out of the sun from yesterday has remained soft and light. Really fun to ski!

Photos from today will be posted shortly in the March 2018 Album on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Follow our routes if you are interested in seeing what the conditions around Les Arcs were like.

Anyone wanting to join us tomorrow needs to PM me before 9am for meet up details.

It should be another powder day if the weather is kind!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tuesday 6 March. So what do you do on a day when the vis is bad and light snow is falling with queues on the lower lifts serving the tree skiing areas. Go on an adventure!

As we were in Les Arcs yesterday it was back over to the La Plagne side today. Although they did finally open the Bellecote Glacier yesterday, there was not much chance of that happening today. Poor vis and light snow made sure of that. But with powder and untracked snow around even if it was hard to see where we were going, it was adventure time again!

After a fast ski across Les Arcs mostly on piste we headed up to the Roche de Mio. Then a very careful ski down the back took us into the meadows and trees of the Friolin. A fun route all the way down after a bit of a traverse gave us plenty of untracked snow and even a few jumps below the clouds all the way back to the Bauches Chair.

Then back up the Bauches and Crozats Chairs all the way down to the valley again in more fresh snow.

A quick lunch and up to top of Arpette chair and into the Les Coches forest for more soft snow and a run all the way back to the Vanoise Express.

Once back over in Les Arcs through the trees and up the Derby chair. Another route off the ridge and down through the trees to the Vagere Chair. Then all the way from the Vagere back to Arc 1600 without needing another piste. A really fun route!

Despite the poor weather today the pistes were busy, but they did stay in reasonable condition all day although you had to avoid a lot of ski school groups everywhere you went. Off piste we managed to find some good snow although some of the group did drop out due to the very poor vis and for our snowboarder the traversing proved to be a challenge to far.

If you are interested in seeing what conditions were like today. Take a look at the photos in the March 2018 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page.

Anyone wanting to join us for another 'adventure' tomorrow in the predicted poor weather, get in touch before 9am in the morning for meet up details. It is difficult to plan tonight until we see what the conditions are like in the morning!
snow report
Wednesday 7 March. Time for a little journey across the Paradiski off piste from Arc 1600 to Montalbert for lunch and back again. Yes, you can really do almost the whole route in both directions off piste the whole way!

Take a look at the photos in the March 2018 Album on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page if you want to follow our route.

The powder was great on most the route with only a very few cruddy and icy places with fresh tracks almost the whole time. Our lunch was excellent as always at the Forperet just above Montalbert.

The return journey was 'interesting!' Very big queues on the lifts connecting Plagne Centre with Plagne Bellecote and again up to the top of the Roche de Mio plus in all other directions!!

There are many options to go in both directions off piste, but you must take a few lifts to complete the route both ways.

You have the same choices on the Les Arcs side. With very busy pistes in Les Arcs and La Plagne today it was great to hardly use any of them all day! However we only made the final lift from Arc 1800 on the way home with minutes to spare! But then a challenge is always fun!

Anyone wanting to join us tomorrow, please PM me before 9am to get meet up details.

Hope you enjoy the photos from today.
ski holidays
Quick question to those in the know. If I am loading up my ski pass card online, can I load Samediski for saturday, and then a 6 day pass for the rest of the week, all in one go, or do I need to wait till the Samediski has been used before loading the 6 day pass on? ie, will it only hold one product at a time, will the 6 day pass wipe out the Samediski?
ski holidays
Just looking for some advice if possible...

Im heading out to Arc 2000 on the 24th March, I would class myself as a comfortable intermediate but I am travelling with a beginner who has only had lessons on a dry slope. She's comfortable with snow plough turns on the dry slope.

Would it be worth getting the 6 day pass or would you think we will be on the free lifts for the first few days?

Are the runs back into the resort of an easy difficulty?

Apologies if this is on the wrong thread.
Thanks
ski holidays
@willirvine, Don't be afraid to ask and good question. You will need a pass especially if you have booked lessons. There are comfortable routes back to 2000, some nasty ones too so be careful where you turn! Only joking, you will be fine.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
@willirvine, Don't be afraid to ask and good question. You will need a pass especially if you have booked lessons. There are comfortable routes back to 2000, some nasty ones too so be careful where you turn! Only joking, you will be fine.

As of right now we don't have any lessons booked! At this moment my thinking is that we will have a go on the free lifts/magic carpets on the Saturday afternoon (I am led to believe that if it is not too difficult there is a nice run to 1950 and a free gondola back up?) as we land early on Saturday. Obviously that is traffic permitting as I know it could be pretty busy! but then see how it goes and either get the lift pass then or see how we go!

Does that sound like a decent idea or a horrific idea? Laughing
snow report
@willirvine, I am not sure your friend will get the best out of her holiday by not having any instruction if she has just done a small amount of lessons on a dry slope and can only snowplough. Where you planning to stay with her the whole time? If not, I would suggest booking group morning lessons for her and then meeting up in the afternoon. That is what I did the first time I went skiing with a mate. I'd also had a few dry slope lessons.
ski holidays
karin wrote:
Quick question to those in the know. If I am loading up my ski pass card online, can I load Samediski for saturday, and then a 6 day pass for the rest of the week, all in one go, or do I need to wait till the Samediski has been used before loading the 6 day pass on? ie, will it only hold one product at a time, will the 6 day pass wipe out the Samediski?

Should be able to load on the same card but just ask in the lift pass office.
latest report
Layne wrote:
@willirvine, I am not sure your friend will get the best out of her holiday by not having any instruction if she has just done a small amount of lessons on a dry slope and can only snowplough. Where you planning to stay with her the whole time? If not, I would suggest booking group morning lessons for her and then meeting up in the afternoon. That is what I did the first time I went skiing with a mate. I'd also had a few dry slope lessons.

Alternatively book her 2 or 3 private lessons, you learn more and cost in around the same at 6 days of group. For Saturday you may get away with the free lifts but not after. On skis getting to the gondola in 1950 if a beginner isn't easy, involves walking. I think St Jaques lift in 2000 is free on Saturdays?
snow report
@karin, Loading multiple trips on your ski pass should not be a problem as I believe the actual piece of plastic only identifies who you are, it is the system computer that holds the main information on what you have paid for/booked.
latest report
@thefatcontroller, Thanks a lot for that, I shall look into a couple of the private instructors on the top of this thread, just aware many will now be booked up!
ski holidays
willirvine wrote:
@thefatcontroller, Thanks a lot for that, I shall look into a couple of the private instructors on the top of this thread, just aware many will now be booked up!

It's a relatively quiet time of the year and with private's they have flexibility - can do lunchtimes, etc. so you should be alright.
ski holidays
Myself and my family (plus a friend's family) are heading to Arc 2000 on 18th. It is our 2nd year in Les Arcs but, having never stayed at Arc 2000 before, I wondered if you needed the lift pass to use the Cabriolet between 2000 and 1950? I gather that the St Jaques chairlift is free on weekends so was hoping to be able to get out on the skis for an hour or so on the Sunday we arrive but might need the Cabriolet if we head to 1950??

Essentially, we won't get much time to ski on Sunday (if any) so don't want to buy a ski pass but wondered what we would be able to do??
snow report
@willirvine, As others have said, I would definitely recommend your friend having lessons.

This year I booked my wife and her friend private lessons through New Generation instead of the group lessons we were planning. They are doing fewer lessons but I think they will benefit and get more confidence from this.

Here is a link to the thread I put on here a while ago with some recommendations for ski schools - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=135714

We are using New Generation - https://www.skinewgen.com/ - who have a base in Arc 2000 but we were also recommended to www.ski-aim.com - specifically a guy called JP...

Hope it helps and we will try to leave some good snow for you!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tonyswift, if you are buying 6 days Paradiski lift passes you get the previous afternoon free.

1/2 JOURNEE DE SKI EN PLUS
A partir du forfait 6 jours, offre valable l'après-midi précédant le début de validité du forfait de ski.
snow conditions
@tonyswift, Thanks!

One other thing, with regard to lift passes, I know obviously we won't make full use of the whole area but is it worth the full paradiski area for the extras or not?
latest report
@Layne, As far as I know, that only applies to the full area - we are just buying Les Arcs ones this year. Also, I read somewhere on here that if you buy them through the TO (which we have) the half day is on the end whereas if you buy them from the pass office the half day is at the beginning!!??? That wasn't the case last year but seems to have changed for this year!

Hence my asking about the Cabriolet and the St Jaques Chairlift - i would like to get some skiing in on the first day if we get the time!

@willirvine, We bought Paradiski full area passes last year but never even went to La Plagne and we were in Peisey (right by the connecting cable car!). There was so much to ski in Les Arcs that we just didn't have time!!! You get one day in La Plagne with the standard pass anyway which will be plenty for us.
snow conditions
Quote:

One other thing, with regard to lift passes, I know obviously we won't make full use of the whole area but is it worth the full paradiski area for the extras or not?

No

With 3 days or more lift pass you get a day in La Plagne anyway.
latest report
@Bob Morrison, I guessed it shouldn't be a problem, but I'd feel happier knowing for sure in case I waste the Samediski! I know when we've re-used cards in Morzine it wiped the previous contents
latest report
@tonyswift, it was me that said about the half day on the end. The folks at Ski Hiver bought the passes for us, and we used them till 1 on the Saturday at the end.
snow report
Interesting about the free half day as we have got an apartment plus + lift pass deal booked through tourist info website but ultimately handled by ski & soleil agency in Montchavin and when we asked for confirmation about the half day they said it was at the end. I'm about to query this with them. For use it works out better to be at the front because we tend to arrive late morning anyway. Whereas on the last day we like to ski the whole day or nothing. Why would there be a difference?
snow report
@karin, @Layne, It's very strange isn't it. It would only work for us at the beginning as we arrive late lunchtime but will be leaving very early on the final day so definitely wouldn't be using it then!

I asked our TO (Esprit) and they didn't know. As I am only buying the Les Arcs ones it ultimately doesn't matter as you don't get the extra half day anyway so it became a moot point which I didn't pursue.

I am just going to mooch around the Arc 2000 / 1950 area if we do get time on arrival day so hopefully won't need anything...
snow conditions
@willirvine, if you are planning on lessons for some days, then it is better to just get the local pass and spend your one free day on the La Plagne side. That is enough when also having lessons for most people. Any of the links for lessons posted at the start of this thread are good for group or private. Shop around and see what they offer you. It is still busy on your dates, but not as crazy busy as right now. Hope you have a good holiday.
ski holidays
Coming out on Saturday with a friend, and we've got a 3 session clinic booked with NewGen. Originally they were 9.15 Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but apparently Newgen are an instructor down next week, so they have juggled things around, and now we are after lunch. Actually rather better for us in the end.
We thought we'd try and sort something more for one of the other days, so on a friend's recommendation we thought we'd look at what Ski Club Gb might do, but their Tuesday session is the only one we could do, and it's only got one space left.
Not sure our off piste skiing is up to the standard of joining in with @snowcrazy, (although the friend who suggested SCGB also suggested you, having skiied with you before), and besides, we don't have AVI gear.
Wondering if there's anything else we might consider without actually booking a private lesson, (which is rather more than we want to spend after doing the clinic)?
We are both very experienced skiers (40+ weeks), but not much serious offpiste experience.
snow report
@karin, My friend and I are in a similar position to you. We booked our wives into private beginner lessons with NewGen and we wanted to do one of the clinics. The trouble is that I am a more advanced skier than him and they will only run one or the other clinic for us. Also times they could offer didn't work with the kids lessons. We would both like to do some kind of tuition but not sure we are going to find anything which suits unfortunately. We will have a chat with NewGen when we arrive to see if anything else is available...
ski holidays
Thursday 8 March. The sun came out, it had snowed the night before so we had about 20cm of fresh snow higher up and the sky was blue all day! Almost perfect, just a little windy up top!

The only down side were the crazy queues on some lifts again and what looked like more than 500 people trying to get over the Vanoise Express at the start of the day. Time to use our local knowledge and beat the queues, but still have a great day in the powder!!

First we did a seldom skied route down to Nancoix from the top of the ridge with fresh powder most of the way down and no tracks! Excellent fun! But take care, this route goes off very quickly and needs to be skied right after it has snowed! By tomorrow it is likely to already start sliding again.

Then back to the Vanoise and no queues so a fast ski to the Bellecote, yuk we had to hike to the top! But it was worth the effort. More fresh untracked powder from the top down to the forest track out! Again be careful there are slides as the layers are not stable yet. We saw a few of these today!

Like yesterday, the crowds everywhere made the pistes very busy and some lift queues were really bad I heard, but this time we managed to avoid the worst ones. The snow quality on piste is still good, but starting to become polished in the busy places again. The Off piste high on the mountains and in the forests is still mostly powder, but with a few icy or warn patches. In the more exposed places with the sun today and freeze tonight it is likely to have created a crust on the top layer by tomorrow morning so be prepared to follow the sun and get the best out of the day.

Anyone interested in seeing what conditions were like today take a look at the photos in the March 2018 Album. Remember to scroll towards the end for the latest posts.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?ref=page_internal

Tomorrow the group is already full. Sorry to those that asked to join us. If you are around on Saturday and fancy a ski. Get in touch tomorrow evening. Hope you have a good day tomorrow in the powder and sun!Very Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 9-03-18 0:20; edited 2 times in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy