Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2017/2018 (Mud Season May/June))

Poster: A snowHead
@stanton,
Of course You do
I was talking the real Bachseite, not the short version with a long boring traverse to avoid the Steissbachtal obstacles....
The Maiensee-piste is not going to solve the Steissbachtal....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Langerzug, ski Steißbachtal why not?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zurs for me today

Hot and sunny
Then a blizzard
Then sunny again
Then it rained

Nice end to the day on the steinmahder ski routes

Slopes super quiet.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:
@Langerzug, ski Steißbachtal why not?

I was there last week and normally, would ski this alone but with all of the closed signs on the track along to the Tanzboden lift, I didn't bother.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton wrote:
@ulmerhutte, Are you some kind of Ozzy millionaire 6-7 weeks in Arlberg ? Happy

Where do you stay for that length of time?

Nope.

In an appartment in Nasserein.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ulmerhutte, do you sometimes go in Bar Alibi, near the church?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/ReC9Efg_4LU
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here in Lech. Snowing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Schroken today for me due to a route finding error but it was actually a nice excursion

Pistes soft, off piste crusty

Light snow since about 2.00pm in Lech, a small top up perhaps 10cm

Everything open
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stanton, so the closure is simply down to avalanche risk.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Kelskii, no there’s more to it than that - land management/ relations play a part too apparently; somewhere a few pages ago there’s a link to an article about the issue in regional press AFAIR.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Kelskii, No but now Yes.

Landowners are refusing to allow the
Construction of avalanche barririers..due to the natural beauty of the Valley..(steißbachtal)

The dispute is deeper,that blasting haa been non existant this season so creating the dangerous mass build up of snowpak triggering glideslides & the fish mouths..
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton wrote:

The dispute is deeper,that blasting haa been non existant this season so creating the dangerous mass build up of snowpak triggering glideslides & the fish mouths..

No, that's not accurate
You need to improve your German, or work on your -shortterm- memory: Steissbachtal is closed since the start of the season. Avalanche blasting is just not working on this problem: snow-on-soil avalanches
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is an element of spin in the video, the various "authorities" are embarrassed by the situation which is not good for the image of St Anton and are trying to show they are doing all they can to open the piste. The bickering between the owners of the land and the Arlberg Bergbahnen has not helped (of course not mentioned in a video from the tourist office) but the main reason is the unusual snow conditions combined with the long grass which means avalanche blasting is ineffective. If the video is to be believed there is a possibility that the piste might be opened before the end of the season if the snow pack stabilises, this might just be platitudes to keep the various restaurant owners from complaining about lost business. Ultimately Arlberg Bergbahnen AG is owned by the various Gemeinde and is subject to political pressure from the various Mayors and local politicians. These folk will be up for election at some point so keen to keep their voters happy.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@munich_irish, This is doing St Anton a great deal of damage now I suggest, I personally aren’t impressed that this impasse is causing a loss of ski opportunities in the Steissbachtal area, effectively the whole of the valley is out of bounds and severely restricts the inbounds off piste (unless you ski illegally). It’ll be interesting to see if over the summer there’s any change in grazing volumes and also if av barriers start being erected on the Schindlerhanger/ Mattun side.

A great shame that politics is being allowed to affect the customer experience, not only must the restaurant owners below Galzig be severely affected this season but also many customers will likely be looking elsewhere unless this is resolved for next season.
latest report
@Langerzug, i understand it fully.

Its the situation as i could not divulge in December but now is damage limitation because of media interest, they not telling the full underlying problems.(as i mentioned above)

The BS about bombing does not work... is because they are not allowed to anymore (for weeks) ..

Re. Arlbergerbahn .. The lifts are owned by various people, familys and operated under a holding company out of Vienna. For example Galzigbahn is owned by a very rich jewish family.
ski holidays
@Markymark29,

Its possible to ski ..just treat it as out of protected zone just like Langen,Malfontal.

I do not give a poo-poo about multimillionaire mountain restaurant/apres bar owners who charge ripoff prices....

They could do with a very good shakedown imo and return some apres ski to town ...
snow report
stanton wrote:
Re. Arlbergerbahn .. The lifts are owned by various people, familys and operated under a holding company out of Vienna. For example Galzigbahn is owned by a very rich jewish family.

Whoaaa.

Hold up.

Wait one second.

Please explain to me why you have decided to flag up the apparent religion of this family.
snow conditions
@stanton, Yes.....what's that got to do with anything?
ski holidays
@Markymark29, @nozawaonsen, No reason but it may surprise some people that they are not locals..
ski holidays
I might give someone else the benefit of the doubt. Sorry to say that the appalling rubbish you frequently post elsewhere on this forum gives me little cause to offer you such here.
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
I might give someone else the benefit of the doubt. Sorry to say that the appalling rubbish you frequently post elsewhere on this forum gives me little cause to offer you such here.

Your banned from posting here for going off topic..your not adding any Arberg value Very Happy
snow report
One gets the feeling they have been very busy with Fiascobahn and Rendl-Kappl (next fiasco?), whilst they should have been focusing on the Steissbachtal.....
Major mismanagement; damage is building up
I have been coming to St.Anton since 1993, and visited last week again after quite some time, coming from Lech.
Going through Flexenbahn, seeing the Valfagehrpiste, Steissbachtal, the ugly new architecture in the village, the railway station, awful St.Christoph (was a fairytale village).....Sad, sad, sad...Ah well, I must be growing old.
Also: St.Anton was famous for the high standard of skiers. Not so last week....felt like Westendorf or Söll...

@Markymark29, construction of AV barriers is extremely expensive, and definitely not a short-term thing. Need to pass a lot of permits etc etc.
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:

Also: St.Anton was famous for the high standard of skiers.

We are all down Valley or look to the Off Piste in area...

@Markymark29, construction of AV barriers is extremely expensive, and definitely not a short-term thing. Need to pass a lot of permits etc etc.[/quote]

Wolfsgruben av barriers took 26 years to build and are 33 km in total & cost over €28M

Matunjoch,Schindlerkar will not need that kind of protection but it gives you an idea that they will not appear over this summer and if the landowners have their way..never ..
ski holidays
It'll get sorted over a bottle of Umathum or 3 over the summer, that and 4-500 additional sheep will resolve matters and normality will be back next season i'm sure - if not it'll be bad news for the resort because a major ski area with a hatched area in the middle of it is no good to 90% of the ski population.

There'll be some deals being done close season no doubt, but this season has been a big own-goal imv.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, Let's hope then that they previsioned things before winter started....500 extra sheep do not appear out of the blue either Very Happy
@stanton, Well I looked for good skiers on Schindlerkar from Tanzböden. No one there logically. There was one idiot going down Bachseite though. And actually he wasn't that good....

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 14-03-18 16:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
It'll get sorted over a bottle of Umathum or 3 over the summer

Its not what im hearing....

As for the sheep ..the snowpak is so deep (were not done yet) this season high alpine summer grazing season will be a lot shorter !
latest report
First day here. Beautiful sunshine. High up off piste nice. Down below both piste and off piste pretty beat up. Do they even groom the pistes? By noon they were all moguls. Some great turns up on chutes on schindler chair. Anything not facing north wasnt great. Any other good high up north facing areas i should try tomorrow?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skiandgolfnut wrote:
First day here. Beautiful sunshine. High up off piste nice. Down below both piste and off piste pretty beat up. Do they even groom the pistes?

They groom to way much (everynight) Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

@Markymark29, @nozawaonsen, No reason but it may surprise some people that they are not locals..

@stanton, what's their religion got to do with whether they're locals?! Your reference to their religion has deeply unpleasant undertones.
latest report
Probably my best ever day on skis.. hardly touched a groomed piste all day, some fab places to play top side of Zürs.. originally intended to take one of the ski routes down to Lech, but the continuous queue for the Madloch chair put me off.. on returning to St Anton big crowds at the Valfagehr actually helped me out and forced me to rest a while (hadn't stopped all day)

snow report
@QRZBuddha, looks great - better conditions than last week.
snow report
stanton wrote:

Hang on a second- You make 1 disgusting comment then you try to backtrack with another. Why cant a JEW be a local? Can you spot a Jew by just looking at someone?

Blatant anti-Semitism. Who are the mods on here? surely you must have a word at least.
snow conditions
oh come on, it is quite surprising and definitely interesting in the light of the discussion -in a positive way- to hear that a jewish family is a major shareholder in one of the the major ski resorts of Austria.
No need to be so negative/sensitive.
snow conditions
@Langerzug, no.
snow conditions
And particularly no when you see the quite shocking stuff he writes elsewhere on this forum.
ski holidays
As for the Arlberg management they have I think misplayed the handling of Steissbachtal and the Flexenbahn which is a shame.
latest report
P*O*W day today

No pistes, just snow Laughing
latest report
@red 27, nice.
snow report
@nozawaonsen, only a wet dusting in resort last night but there must have been a foot high up over in Warth
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy