Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My return to skiing after a hip replacement - How it went after a 6 yr gap

Poster: A snowHead
@Frosty the Snowman, like @Thornyhill I'd recomend trying the Concept 2 rowing machine, low impact, instant feed back to the effort you are putting in and works a large proportion of your body. Of course check with your doctors that you can do it but if you can give one a try. Do look up how to videos/get someone who knows to show you how to do it as proper technique is important.

Limiting your food intake, particularly junk food is how you will lose weight, exercise will get you fitter and needs to be done but it won't combat a poor excessive diet.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman, best of luck with your operation.
Worth a look at the Royal College of Anaesthetist's site for info about the Anaesthesia: https://www.rcoa.ac.uk/patients-and-relatives
But especially Anaesthesia Choices for Hip and Knee Replacement

One way to reduce the pounds is to (shock! horror!) cut out the booze. All booze.
Alcoholic drinks are high in calories, and they make you eat more.
And often that "more" is crisps and peanuts/cashew nuts. Which are salty. Which make you drink more.

Also a good idea to get rid of all all biscuits, cakes, chocolates, sweets from the house - however good you think your will power is, it will fail a couple of times every day.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey FTS, hope the op all goes well and I'd love to be on a bash with you again Happy Big hugs x
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh come on, Sam, you can do better than that for a screen name! I was thinking samoncello, but maybe that sounds too much like an illness and not enough like a drink. (Sorry O/T)

Edit: if this isn't the Sam I think it is, someone is probably awfully puzzled. wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 22-02-17 21:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hurtle, excellent suggestion!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yoda wrote:
I have a friend with arthritis in her hands who swears by turmeric capsules (and lots of hot curries). Any other sufferers tried those (the capsules that is) with success

I swear by turmeric, though I use it in the form of Golden Paste, which is turmeric powder cooked with water, to which you then add freshly ground black pepper, oil (I use coconut) and if liked Ceylon cinnamon. Take half a teaspoon three times a day, or more or less if you find it suits better. My discs in my spine are knackered and I am facing either having several replaced or fused in the future. I have issues with compressed nerves as a result of prolapsed discs. I have bone spurs on multiple joints, but I feel sure this stuff helps - if I don't take it after just a few days the pain is pretty horrible, but when I take it I manage pretty well - last month managed 13 days skiing straight with no problems.

Anyone thinking of taking it check with your doctor that it won't interfere with any medication. There is lots of info online, and a very good Facebook group call Turmeric Users Group (TUG).

Good luck Frosty with the operation - hope to meet you in person one day if I ever get to a Bash.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, @skidoodle (and Yoda, you learn something new every day (at least, i try to)
And today i learnt about the (possible) efficacy of Turmeric in relieving arthritis:
Efficacy and Mechanism of Action of Turmeric Supplements in the Treatment of Experimental Arthritis from 2006
and
A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials from 2016
Excellent. Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jonpim, the golden paste it is a very cheap thing to make, no expensive or hard to find ingredients, and it can even be bought pre made, Google The Golden Paste Company, if you are unsure of cooking up a batch, and I always encourage people to give it a try. It is easy to incorporate into food or drinks, or can just be washed down with a drink of water. Lots of evidence that it is effective in many ways, after all many medicines are plant based, aspirin for example. The fact that many people have seen great results when giving it to their pets also indicates that there is some real benefit seen as a result of taking it. I just know it works for me.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:
Oh come on, Sam, you can do better than that for a screen name! I was thinking samoncello, but maybe that sounds too much like an illness and not enough like a drink. (Sorry O/T)

Edit: if this isn't the Sam I think it is, someone is probably awfully puzzled. wink

Pffft I was going for enigmatic!! Still, it's a heck of a lot better than the last one Skullie
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@_sam_?, Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quick update - Almost a week since the op and everything is brilliant. I get no pain from the new hip or my lower back, it is quite unbelievable. I have been off all Pain meds for almost 5 days and the exercise and walking are going superbly. Wound is still a little tender and I am bored out of my tree. That said, it is a lovely day so I have been walking on the patio. Dare not tackle the drive as it is too uneven.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Frosty the Snowman, post of the day! Very happy for you, my friend Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds like an excellent start on then road to recovery - how's the sleeping at night going? I found this the worst part not being able to sleep on my side for fear of crossing my legs in my sleep😳
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yup, I never sleep on my back and am finding this challenging.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well done, Frosty. Best wishes for the long road ahead.
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy xx
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, Great news, may your recovery be swift
snowHead
snow report
Quote:

post of the day! Very happy for you, my friend

+ lots and lots.

We've never met in the flesh, FTS, but I feel I know you, all the same - as happens on SHs. So pleased to hear it's going so well. You won't look back. The skipper of the boat I crew on has just has his done (after resisting all the nagging) at 84, just before Christmas. Ready to sail when the season starts (he has these young nimble crew members like me to do the dashing about wink ). Skied with a friend this January who'd had a hip replaced 13 months before - she'd been rambling round Yorkshire since summer.

My arthritic knee has hampered my skiing (and reduced my input to SHs) this last winter but it's feeling better and, with a ski Mojo, I certainly hope to carry on skiing, probably on a SH Bash as I am selling my apartment - like you, I have appreciated very much the kind responses on my thread about selling.

Maybe we'll meet in the (reduced quantity of) flesh one day? Hope so. Meanwhile, I'm very interested in the turmeric stuff on this thread - will be following that up. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, brilliant news! You've still got lots of skiing years to go.

Friend of mine had her second hip replacement last year. When I saw her at Christmas she said her doc had cleared her to go skiing again. She was so pleased as she's 80! (And she's back in heels Laughing .)
snow conditions
We know lots of people with hip (and knee) replacements who still ski. Lots of physio and low/non impact exercise is the way to go to build fitness and a good diet to lose weight but dont miss out on all of life's pleasures (glass of wine, pint of beer etc), moderation in all things. Glad it went well so you should be on the slopes next season.
ski holidays
Another thought / pillow between the knees, stops you crossing the legs, also pillow in front and behind you if you turn slighty on to your side, in fact lots and lots of pillows!!
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, I'm glad the op went well for you and wish you a very speedy recovery! Very Happy
snow conditions
Looking in Tesco for a sensible size pack of turmeric today, to give the "golden paste" a try I discovered that the assistant stacking shelves next to me feeds it to her horse (with excellent results, it seems) and buys it very cheap in the horse food shop. And is an active member of the FB turmeric group!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 10-03-17 22:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@pam w,
I think turmeric is effective, but I believe that the capsules you get from Boots contain much more of the good stuff that you would ever get from eating the spice.
ski holidays
@musher, you're probably right. Certainly the paste I made tastes pretty disgusting; can't think what it does to the breath, either. Skullie
ski holidays
@pam w, the world foods section is good for generously sized bags.
snow report
Quick update - Just under 4 weeks since the op and everything is still amazing. Did a couple of half days at work last week but have gone back in properly this morning, full time. I will know if i am pushing it. Can now drive, walking about 2 miles a day without even a single stick, still pain free with great movement. Scar healed, dry and scab free, very neat.
2nd physio tomorrow evening and hoping he will give me a date to start static bike....hopefully road bike within another 4 weeks.
People say may face looks different and younger. Win, win, win
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, Full time? I thought you were going part time into very early retirement?? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Frosty the Snowman, Great to hear, keep it up.
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, Cool
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, Excellent!
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, Fantastic news Toofy Grin Didn't realise you'd had a facelift at the same time though wink
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
People say may face looks different and younger...

Still butt ugly though!

Great news on the hip though. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
@Frosty the Snowman, Full time? I thought you were going part time into very early retirement?? Toofy Grin
Got to do 5 this week due to workload and a funeral. 4 next week, then a full week again due to holidays. What it has made me realise is that I can go down to 3 next year; the team has done well without its leader Very Happy

Cheeky gits.
ski holidays
Did a couple of half days at work last week....

back up to pre-op speed already. wink
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy Very Happy x
snow report
Most excellent news!
ski holidays
.hopefully road bike within another 4 weeks.

And an excellent time of year for it too. Brilliant news!
snow conditions
I've just seen this post and feel quite heartened FTS.

all the very best to you chap with your challenges ahead.

The new hip will give more power to the elbow. 😜
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy