Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
After a great day spent free-riding in Abries in the Queyras with Kevin Byrne, I remembered that we'd got talked into doing a torchlight descent down the Casse du Boeuf black run by Davina from Ski Connections ski school here in Serre Che....
We all met at the bottom of the CDB chair, given our torches (unlit!) and made our way to the top of the final icy wall of the Casse du Boeuf.....
The camera enhanced the lighting here, it was almost dark and 5 mins later was fully dark.......

And then we set off, no poles and a fire hazard dripping molten wax at the end of one outstretched arm!
Up this point I was a little sceptical of the whole thing, but looking out beneath me at the illuminated snake disappearing into the valley was quite spectacular! The light given off by the torch was just enough to ski by, I had a 2 metre pool of light around me. I kept checking though to make sure the pool wasn't getting any bigger though, indicating my jacket may be on fire!
Down at the bottom, we all hurled our torches into a massive pile outside the Chazelay:

No pics at present of the descent, it was taxing enough without trying to get a snap!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've always thought these torchlight descents look better at a distance than actually participating. Skiing in dodgy light on a slope freezing to Ice holding molten wax having to hold you arm in the air never stuck as the best time to be on the slopes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dan100, my thoughts exactly until I was in the midst of it........
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
KenX wrote:
@dan100, my thoughts exactly until I was in the midst of it........
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was a great experience. Thanks Ken for getting me a black market ticket 😀.

Full marks to Davina and her team for the organising and the timing - we didn't have to stand around for long. And the rescue team, complete with stretcher, were not needed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As I'm typing this looks like major gridlock of traffic coming down from Monetier, and this morning I've never seen it so busy up at the various parking areas down from the Lautaret, with many groups from Grenoble spewing forth from their cars.

Obviously we didn't have this issue last year what with the road closed rolling eyes

I did feel reasonably confident though that they would all feck off and do the more popular routes.

As KenX, and I were climbing up did look like there was some good powder to be had, however we had the Rando Chiens with us so that meant sniffing out the Spring snow, and I was pretty sure we'd be ok as where I was heading was similar altitude and aspect to what I did yesterday and it's one of our favourite routes that we usually have to ourselves and can deliver very sweet spring snow.

And think the pics sort of show that well Cool

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was a good day out! Just got back after battling with the above traffic, almost seems busier than last week which all the locals said would be the worst one.........
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seeking advice for a few weeks time to avoid the crowds during the weekend of the last week of the holidays Friday 3rd - Sunday 6th March. Zone A will be finishing their holidays: Besançon, Bordeaux, Clermont-Ferrand, Dijon, Grenoble, Limoges, Lyon, Poitiers

Where would you ski to avoid the crowds? Do you think Serre Chevalier would be too busy during that weekend? or would the lift queues be ok on the Saturday with change over day? Or is best avoided and go La Grave on the Friday and Saturday? Thinking of an overnight in the Chancel Refuge? Anyone with experience of that?

This is all before weather and snow conditions come in to play.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Christopher, Sat transfer day would be good to ski here and the Sunday should not be as busy as the hordes would be gone!

Italy is probably a better option, but think best to see what the Weather Gods have planned for us.

Not too sure about Refuge Chancel, again depends on the weather, but could be a good option.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Decided on some slack country today off the back as did think that we might not go up the hill at all this coming week due to the hordes, thinking that at least today no Club Med hordes and not too many ESF lessons, even then we went up just before lunch.

We did have to queue for the four lifts we took, but only for a couple of minutes if that, and no queue at Pontilas.

Always a superior feeling going off the back as people look on wondering where we are off to Cool

And we found some superb Spring corn on a steep face, and then on another aspect stashes of powder. Though in between was ACL busting croute if you were not too careful. Took a slightly different line sticking to the untracked Spring as the other side was quite tracked out.

Once back in resort was not too bad as the hordes were coming back up from lunch whilst we headed back down, but the number of people at Serre Ratier was bonkers.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cracking pic of Elaine Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just got back from taking LynnX skiing at Monetier today and was stunned at how good the pistes were, yes a few folk around, but the weather/temps must be spot-on for good piste snow right now Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know I'm double posting but was pretty remarkable today being photographed from the other side of the valley Cool

Today KenX the OH and Les Rando Chiens and I ski toured up the other side of the valley to the pistes up the Col de Granon road before turning off towards our destination La Gardiole, which is one of my favourites and we can often have as much un-tracked as we need, though being peak of holidays I was a tad skeptical, we even did a recce yesterday to see how far we could drive my 4x4 up the closed road, as if we had parked right at the bottom would have had to walk the final 5km or so down Sad

The climb at just under a 1,000m is mellow with only a couple of steep sections and we took our time waiting for the snow to cook.

Then, we had a truly superb descent, nigh on 4km in Spring Corn timing it to perfection with the snow transforming, though as we were climbing up in a strong wind we did have some doubts as to what the descent would be like.

KenX and OH climbing up with the Serre Che pistes in the background

At the summit

Ken ripping the corn

OH and the Rando Chiens

Once back at the ranch I have a mate staying who is quite a well know photographer in the valley and he was out working with the ski school today taking pics of their clients etc

He was up on the Alpage piste near the snow park when he said he looked across the other side of the valley and could make out some tracks in the sunshine, he then took a couple of snaps, and managed to actually catch us and our tracks!!

This is the low res image of the mountain

And this is the link to the High Res version which clearly shows our tracks all the way from the summit and you can make us out!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, wow, what a descent, you can make Elaine and I out about 4 turns up from the bottom, that is one hell of a set of tracks Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What a great shot snowHead

The high res link is dogged with problems though.
ski holidays
@Mosha Marc, pmsl Laughing
snow report
@KenX, @Mosha Marc, Doooooh OH renamed the file rolling eyes

Here it is http://stylealtitude.com/images/gardiole1_highres.jpg

Back up there this morning, taking big skis Cool
ski holidays
So back up there this morning and cloud threw a spanner in the works as we neared the summit, and halted the all important transformation process so initial descent was not as sweet as Tuesday, but still very good none the less lower down as the sun came back out, and so much better than being with the hordes.

So Thursday early evening and can hear the "sounds" thumping away from the Chazlelet (Serre's equivalent to Folie Douce) well over a mile away, so glad do not live closer!!!

Will again go no where near the piste tomorrow with it being "Manic Friday"; full of idiots charging out of control on their last day.
latest report
Very Happy
snow conditions
So, how's the snow guys? I tried looking at the webcams this morning, but they seem to have frozen over.
snow report
We had around 25cm up top, lovely and light with blue skies to ice the cake Very Happy
Adrian skiing the bowl under the Grand Serre chair:

ski holidays
@KenX, Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Was none too fussed about going up first thing, but then the weather cleared and the work I was planning to do was put back ten or so days, so no real excuse not to go up the hill, plus the OH was uber keen as the sun started to make an appearance.

Was between 20-30cm.

Last run of the day was the hike from top of Vallons to the Crete de la Balme, and then more or less skied the line of the old piste down, very sweet.

Snowing lightly again now.
snow conditions
@gavincrosby reporting another 10cm overnight in Monetier village.
snow report
Looks like more to come. Good news as we don't arrive until 8th April
snow report
Great pics @Weathercam, and@KenX. Getting very excited now - arriving on Saturday. Looks like it might still be snowing on Sun/Mon/Tues. Where would you recommend in poor visibility? Above Monetier?
snow report
@Hells Bells, that 10cm has quickly disappeared with the warm temps.

Heard earlier from friends skiing here whilst I was hanging around La Grave that they were lapping Col de Mea in great snow but shite viz.

And now (13:30) a lot brighter but would imagine fresh snow has turned to sludge even higher up.
latest report
Yet another great day in the Valley, skied the Montagnole, which was tracked but in great shape with Greg from here and Rob from Puy St vincent, bumped into @Weathercam, at the bottom who was skiing with some chums from La Grave as the lift was shut due to wind......
Then went on and skied the couloir de Roches Corneille, which you can see looking left from the Bachas chair in Monetier, not done this before, quite steep at around 40 degrees, but the snow was in fantastic condition Very Happy

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Piste-off, with bad visibility, the trees above Monetier, Chantemerle and Villeneuve are all great Very Happy
Enjoy your stay!
snow conditions
Thanks @KenX. The forecast seems to have turned colder and snowier. According to Meteofrance.com, snow at valley level from tomorrow until it warms up again on Tues- for once I picked the right week!
latest report
Good day skiing with Greg in the trees at Aiguillette today, on the slopes around 10cm was present due to wind, but in the trees it had held and was around 30cm Very Happy

On a side note, also in the Aiguillette area and probably also due to wind, 2 skiers were caught in an avalanche yesterday, both thankfully survived but one was injured........... Not sure exactly where, we saw no signs of slippage where we were, could've been on the Briancon side of the hill.....

More snow due overnight, need to keep our wits about us.....
snow report
@KenX, looks like it is already snowing from the webcams. Take care.
latest report
@KenX, are you sure which Aiguillette area it was?
Just that there is a big ski touring area up from Pont d'Alpe near the ViaFerrata up there.
Skiing sounds good and more tomorrow in Serre.
Only nigh on 1,600m day down South with views over the Med.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, Aiguilette de Lauzet would sound more likely.
snow report
Actually was in Serre Sad http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2017/03/04/une-avalanche-en-hors-pistes
snow conditions
@Weathercam, Sad
ski holidays
Aiguillette trees again today, Prorel lift was closed so used the green trail to get there! About 30/40 cm of fresh today and snowing heavily right now Very Happy

ski holidays
@KenX, looks fab. I missed Aiguillette in January.
ski holidays
@KenX, @Hells Bells, Looks great - can't wait!
snow conditions
A question for SC locals - we're hoping to get some skiing on Saturday, as a warm up to the SOPiB. With the current conditions, where would you recommend? Should we drive all the way from Turin to Monetier, or stop off somewhere in between? Where is the off-piste good, and where is it relatively safe at the moment?

@KenX, are you planning to join us?

Thanks in advance.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy