Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2016/17 (Useful links in Post 1).

Poster: A snowHead
@chocksaway, or, a stunning place in a quiet part of Val.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any news on the datcha lift upgrade?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chocksaway wrote:
@Dr John, Horses for courses, but I would hate the centre of Val.

Really? Shocked

Why?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val and Tignes are 2 different resorts that serve different demographics and I know where I prefer/fit in. Neither is better or worse just different...........after all its the same snow on and off piste and the same lifts which is why we are all really there Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chocksaway, out of interest, what is your idea of the demographic of Val d'Isere?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dr John, Difficult to define but richer higher end clientele, more public school orientated, more English, (potentially more UK south than north), often demonstrative and overtly 'loadsamoney' as Mr Enfield would say. As ever, these are generalisations with many exceptions. Again nothing wrong with it - just different.

But accommodation is much more expensive, most bars and restaurants also more expensive without the equivalent rise in quality. Chatting to one chalet company owner it is getting more difficult to flog holidays in Val because of the reputation, but not as bad as Courcheval 1850ski!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chocksaway,

Is that last place you mention anywhere near CourchevEl? Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bergmeister, mea culpa, I did have a flashback during the intermission at the theatre last night, funny how the brain reminds you.....too many vals and vels
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glad I went to a comprehensive in Romford wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Those apartments look lush and the location is great, BUT the prices quoted are ridiculous.

On the Val v Tignes point - the main draw for both is the combined / shared ski area, the lift infrastructure, the quality of the snow, the history etc ... We always tend to end up in Val as we prefer the overall vibe, how the village is laid out etc (plus we always seem to stay with Le Ski who only have a presence in Val) - having said that what @chocksaway refers to when he talks about demographics is spot on. And I also get the impression that some people just end up in Val just to say they've been to Vall (darling).

Having said that I would hate to stay in 1850 - always stay in St Martin or La Tania when in the 3Vs.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bar shaker,

Chase Cross?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, yep, the old cliches. Not denying a certain truth in that, but the ra-ra crowd are easy to avoid if you don't go to Dicks Tea Bar and the hideous Folie Douch(bag). Main thing for me is it gives a choice of all sorts of venues from dive bars to michelin starred restaurants and all points in between. I don't think the price point is very different, apart from the high end places. Everything is within easy stroll in a proper village setting and not something reminiscent of an inner city council housing experiment. I'm a social animal so good evening life in a pleasant setting is important to me, appreciate it's not everyones priority.

As you say, horses for courses.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zermattandchips wrote:
@bar shaker,

Chase Cross?

Royal Liberty.

Dr John I totally agree. The food and nightlife choice is superb. Bars range from the Morris Pub to Baraque, restaurants from Sur La Montagne to L'Atellier d'Edmond. I love the place, love the nightlife and love the vibe. The skiing in EK is IMO the best in Europe.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You are all wrong Laughing

Les Brevieres in the THE place to be Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Philip1972, Isn't it nicknamed pound land?
ski holidays
@chrisrawles, lol, nooooooo.

Its the prettiest place in Tignes/val by far, and small too which and old fart like me likes, as its not full of crazy teenagers going mental!

A proper little village, like Val D used to be.
ski holidays
@Philip1972, and directly underneath a massive dam....
snow report
@Dr John, I like to live by the seat of my pants!

I had surveys etc done when I bought my place. The report said that the risk to flooding was not due to failure of the dam, but the mountain up near La Daille falling into the dam.

The wave (according to the report) would be twice as high as the dam itself, Brev of course would be gone, water would be waist deep in Grenoble and knee deep in Lyon Shocked

La Daille would be gone as well, as well as half of Val due to splash back!
ski holidays
@Philip1972, haha, good man. Interesting about the risk, did the put a figure on it?
ski holidays
@Dr John, I cant remember. I will have to dig out all the paperwork and have a look.
latest report
@Philip1972,
Quote:

The wave (according to the report) would be twice as high as the dam itself, Brev of course would be gone, water would be waist deep in Grenoble and knee deep in Lyon

A few hundred kilometres of water skiing then?
ski holidays
@intermediate, Very Happy
snow conditions
Somewhat overstated there.....
ski holidays
Mind you I would not want to be in the way..........
latest report
Philip1972 wrote:

La Daille would be gone as well, as well as half of Val due to splash back!

I'm on the 9th floor, will I be ok? Laughing
snow conditions
morris pub horrible place full of unwashed sweaty lumps , dicks full of bellends ditto follie all should be firebombed
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Lots of factors can make or break a holiday....but for me the winner is Tignes hands down in terms of access to/egress from the slopes wink (eg can count on one hand how many times I've found Santons piste open on about 15 or 20 visits...)

Still love skiing the whole Espace Killy though....
ski holidays
Duplicate post deleted... rolling eyes

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 28-05-17 9:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, Santons closed is rarely a problem, just ahead down OK for the apres in Roses.
snow report
vipul wrote:
morris pub horrible place full of unwashed sweaty lumps , dicks full of bellends ditto follie all should be firebombed
Very Happy Very Happy

"Ski resort had bars/clubs that weren't for me" shocker.

If you don't like the Morris or the Folie, you can go to Cocorico, Saloon Bar, Rosee Blanche, XV, Baraque, Banana, Underground, Face Cafe, Petit Danois, Coin des Amis and plenty of others that I forget. Having a free bus that runs until 3am, means you can go to any or all of these and never have more than 150m walk. If you don't like apres, or just don't really like bars at all, then there is little point going to Val and you may as well stay in Brev.

Not that Tignes has any bars full of unwashed sweaty lumps or bell ends, of course. rolling eyes

I personally think that VC has the monopoly on bars and clubs that I wouldn't want to visit but I wouldn't want to firebomb them. Each to their own.

mountainaddict wrote:
access to/egress from the slopes
I spend the winter in La Daille. I can ski down Stade or OK and unclip at my apartment block entrance. The gondola is 50m, the Funi is 100m. I think La Daille wins hands down wink
snow conditions
vipul wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy

I stay at the Moris (I spelt it correctly, unlike you), I love the bands in the pub below, and I'm not an 'unwashed sweaty lump'. I'm really not sure where that sweeping generalisation came from.

The Folie is easily avoidable, I'd hardly say it and Dicks should be 'firebombed'. TBH you sound like a massive bellend yourself, maybe you should find another resort.
snow report
@bar shaker, And La D will be much better in 2 seasons time with a shiny new 10 man gondola (but I bet you don't get a VIP cabin, heated seats and tinted windows!!)
ski holidays
@chocksaway, we probably won't but with the new 3 storey covered car park also being built (over the current outside one) maybe we will be worthy of a special cabin.

My AGM minutes had a bit from the Marie, who did a presentation on the new lift. Toiled is going and the new base station will be where Etoiles currently starts. The worker apartments in the lift station are being relocated to elsewhere in Val.

The new lift will still finish at the Folie, giving easy access to Toviere.

The RB is going to need a bigger terrace!

Parking at the apartments will be residents only, albeit without guarantee of a space. The seasonaire campers got sent packing this winter and getting a free parking space was much easier.

All good news for La Daille.
snow report
@bar shaker, Abut time in my view, Val has spent too much on glory projects in the centre.

PS Don't mention the RB - people might start taking the seats and Yan might put the prices up wink
ski holidays
RB?
snow report
@Philip1972, Rosée Blanche bar in La Daille (Shhhhh!!)
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Cheers!
snow report
@chocksaway, is that the one right at the end of the piste next to the car park?
ski holidays
@stevew, no, no, that's a completely different one. Move along now, nothing to see here....
latest report
does anyone know what the conditions are like on the glacier at the mo?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy