Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2016/17 (Useful links in Post 1).

Poster: A snowHead
Even though we are basking in a Vindaloo of an Indian Summer here in Yorkshire it is only 2 weeks until our favourite playground reopens. The Glacier in Tignes is forecast to open on Sat 1 Oct 16 (a bit more snow would not go amiss), the Espace Killy is forecast to open on Sat 26 Nov 16 so with no further ado and to the sound track of virtual champagne corks popping I declare this thread open Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Here are a whole bunch of useful links to help with your visit - they have been checked but some are still sleeping wink

Tignes Main Site (official):
http://www.tignes.net/en
Ski passes:
http://www.skipass-tignes.com/en
Bus Transfers
Daily from Geneva, Sat-Sun from Chambery (not yet loaded for purchase (15 Sep) and Fri-Sun from Lyon:
http://www.altibus.com/
Weekends from Geneva and Grenoble, Fri-Sun from Lyon:
http://www.bensbus.co.uk/
Private Transfers (Operators based in Tignes):
http://www.snowstar.co.uk
http://www.mountainrides.co.uk/
Ski Instruction (British Staff):
http://www.ski-instruction-tignes.co.uk/default.aspx
http://www.tdcski.com/tignes/
Weather:
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/tignes/73320
Route Info (Savoie Only):
http://savoie-route.fr/
Avalanche Reports (Meteo France):
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/bulletin-avalanches/savoie/avdept73
Live Lift Status:
http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=tignes&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=val-d-isere&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
Bus Timetable from Bourg:
http://altibus.com/documents/gares/9/navettes.pdf
Val-Tignes evenings only (for repatriation of lost souls that missed the last lift!) - its not yet showing but hopefully it will be here(!):
http://www.mairie-tignes.fr/fr/information/69534/transport-stationnement.

We will have a new 4 man chair lift which has replaced the Almes Poma and Millonex drags, allowing a much easier return to, you guessed it, Les Almes which will make it a lot easier for intermediates to ski home to the Montana Complex. The beginners area in Val Claret has been reorganised and a new magic carpet will appear in the Tufs area (the old drag has gone). The whole beginners area will be a lot more user friendly.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 28-11-16 13:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So good to have the thread up and running. We have already booked for Val Claret 7th Jan, but may try and sneak over beforehand if we are blessed with early snow. Thank you @chocksaway, for kicking off the season. May the snow gods shine on everyone.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chocksaway, fab...snowing in Val disere. ...I know it won't last but who cares
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whoop whoop!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers chocks! We'd biked up past the Almes lift works in July & wondered what they were up to.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And the obsessive camera watching starts. Got the first nice snow falls this morning, it always warms my heart.. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chocksaway,

Well done!
Retirement is imminent. Will be at the PSB if it happens and will hang around in Tignes, I expect, until the New Year. Expect to be there for several weeks towards the end of the season as well.

Coming on my own for much of it. So ski buddies welcome!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good to see the new start for 2016/2017
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Clearly been snowing on the GM this weekend. Not sure it is much but needed for the October opening. Hopefully looking not so bare once the clouds clear. A hint of winter!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Already booked for 25th Oct. Hope there is a bit more snow. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like there been a dump on Le Grande Motte!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The GM looking an absolute picture today Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh god, I'm looking in here already. I usually hold out until October Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like a good start to the season - the PSB is back Very Happy Very Happy .
ski holidays
View of Tignes today, woke up at the right time!!
ski holidays
Great shot. Is the glacier the bit in the centre of the photo, or the larger snow covered area at the top centre of the photo?
latest report
Glacier is the one in the centre.
latest report
centre, The Grand Casse is above and to the right of the Motte. On my original the lifts are visible, as is Val D'Isere, but I couldn't quite get the Pissailles glacier as the plane banked a bit!
ski holidays
@endoman, Nice photo and good spot! The glacier is looking much better for opening on 1 Oct, OI hope the depths are good enough. From the webcams there does appear to be quite a lot of work going on up there. It looks like there are going to be a few more showers over the next 3 days which will be snow up there. Its a long way off but the forecast suggests a decent drop in temperatures from 2/3 Oct onwards - much more autumnal which will help protect the snow. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Out of idle curiosity looked at the webcams today. I was surprised how short the new chair Le Lac is, I was expecting it to go higher than Almes poma did.

The glacier looked OK though for the time of year.
ski holidays
stevew wrote:
Out of idle curiosity looked at the webcams today. I was surprised how short the new chair Le Lac is, I was expecting it to go higher than Almes poma did.

The glacier looked OK though for the time of year.

Looks like its exactly the same start and finish. As long as it is open as late as the old millenoux drags so i can get back to the bec rouge after a cheeky loop apres snowHead
ski holidays
@Timg60, Are you a Bec Rouge winter resident?

Yes the start and finish are in pretty much the same places as the old Almes drag.
ski holidays
Tigski wrote:
@Timg60, Are you a Bec Rouge winter resident?

Yes the start and finish are in pretty much the same places as the old Almes drag.

Unfortunately not. My Uncle has a place there and I try and borrow it for a couple of weeks each season. If not I try and rent there if I can find something. Like the ski in ski out and the fact it is lovely and quiet.
ski holidays
Quote:

Like the ski in ski out and the fact it is lovely and quiet

@Tigski, Time we had a mass expat party in Les Jardins de Bec Rouge then!

The e mails from the resort are now starting to arrive thick and fast including most of the ents programme for the Winter - things will clearly be added and may change:

27 Nov 16 - a week long Sporting Values Conference, where it would appear that Pippa Middleton will be appearing. Given that the most glamorous celeb I have seen in Tignes is James May, things seem to be looking up Very Happy

3,4 Dec 16. Just in time for the PSB we have the Christmas Fair with all sorts of jollification.

24, 25 Dec 16. Santa visiting and lots of kids entertainment.

31 Dec 16. Party and Fireworks on the SnowFront in Le Lac - same participants as last year.

3 Jan 17. Indoor Athletics meet starts in Tignespace.

4-7 Mar 17. SFR Freestyle Competition in the halfppe in Val Claret.

3-6 April 17. Franco Folies. Concerts around the resort.

There is also going to be a 'cultural season' dates and artistes to be confirmed. Also Pride week seems to be on the agenda but with last years dates!!
snow report
Just had an e mail from the resort confirming the opening of the glacier on Saturday. Very Happy Very Happy However, the works on the Cable Car are ongoing (as published months ago), it should open for the next set of school hols that start on 17 Oct 16. Hope all the budding racers are good on T bars! The weather looks showery for the weekend, with a snowline around the bottom of the Vanoise Chair, but it will be dry on the Funi!
latest report
@chocksaway,
Cos I was mucked around by my company only just retired. Over for the PSB and booked with TCC for 2 weeks thereafter. Can poss stay with them in another chalet for Xmas week. But need somewhere for New Year week. Any ideas or contacts.
Any help appreciated.
Probably back for last month or so of season.
ski holidays
@Mark1863, You could try the Lavachet Lodge - they are quite flexible, after that Chalet Chardons in Brev (and their associated chalets) have allsorts going on.

Just had another e mail from Tignes Development - like a lot of resorts Christmas is not looking popular this year because of the dates but NY is. So it appears there are a lot of bargains for Christmas.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Lodge is fill. In there two weeks prior to Christmas. But then have to move out. Good idea about the Chardons
ski holidays
A few brave souls made it for the first day of the season this morning, looked a bit moist in the air!
snow report
Just bought this years ski jacket - puts on Fast Show voice - "I will mainly be wearing red".

So what's new this year, I have already mentioned the new lifts in Tignes, notably the Almes chair which follows the route of the Almes poma, which means those brave boys in red will be able to ride up in fancy dress for the ski show on Mondays! It will also allow much easier access to the Montana hotel and the surrounding chalets. But after a big dump it was often the first lift to open - so those freshtracks will not last as long Confused Also expect people to get lost around Val Claret as a much needed pure beginner area has been fashioned out of the hillside with a dedicated 'magic carpet'. So hopefully, it will be a lot easier for the ski schools when compared to teaching under the Bollin chairlift which can get a bit like the wacky races.

Meanwhile next door in Val there is much excitement about the new Solaise Gondola. The old 4 man Solaise Express has gone as has the Solaise cable car, which despite being of the 30's was still the quickest way up. The new gondola has 10 seats and is almost the same as the Toviere gondola in Tignes, but as it is Val it has wifi and heated seats allegedly. The resort are making a big play on how it will reduce queues in the centre of Val as they say that uplift has increased by 40% as it has a capacity of 3600 people per hour. I can't make those numbers work as the chair used to take 2500 people an hour and the cable car about 300, but if it is to be the answer to a maiden's prayer they will have to fill every gondola with 10 people which is a tricky task, a couple of lifties with electric cattle prods would help I suppose Twisted Evil . Hopefully all will turn out OK.

On a slightly sadder note it will be the last year for the legend that is The Alpaka Lodge, if all goes to plan it will be bulldozed at the end of the season and replaced with a brand new hotel. For those of us that have lost quite a few brain cells in there over the years it will be a sad loss - but as its next door to the Taos I suspect it will be quite busy in the first week in December for those PSBers. Very Happy
ski holidays
I had heard the rumour re the Alpaka. I will be moving from Taos to the Alpaka at the end of the PSB
latest report
@chocksaway, brings a sense of nostalgia to me. Note to self ... make sure I go to Tignes this year before the Alpaca closes .. please hold me to account on this.
snow conditions
Shame about the Alpaca, we had some amazing nights there over the years, particularly when they had the ginormous dog you used to fall over at the front door!

Sadly times move on and in the last few years there have been times when we were the only bodies in the bar. No idea what the hotel itself is like, we had friends stay there a few years back and they raved about the 6 course evening meals.

Oddly, next January we are staying in a chalet along from the Church, so probably the closest we have ever been to the Alpaca. Will no doubt pop in for a beer or two.

I know it's new, but does anyone know if the Taos has a decent bar, or is it a bit more Montana like?

Edit..... looked at the drinks PDF, don't think I will be drinking there, 12.5 euro for a rum & coke...... rolling eyes
snow report
http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-tkd-des-almes-montagner-65.html

Shame to lose the Almes Poma. Seems it had an unusual phased start and very fast line speeds prior to the regulations limiting surface lifts to 3.8m\s, from the mid 1990s. Presumeably after the advent of snowboarding?

Shame they can't reinstall it somewhere else. It's a relatively modern lift with plenty of life left in it so presumably it has been sold on ?
ski holidays
Lots of race training going on this morning in glorious conditions, limites amount of pistes though. As ever at this time of year there is a battle between the warm air over the Med and colder air to the north going on. However, it does look like it is going to cool down this week with showers towards the end of the week, which if all goes to plan might land as snowy slush down to Le Lac. This will soon disappear though but it will be good news up on the glacier, allowing them to open a bit more.

@Peter S, I guess so - it seems to be a policy of 'one in -one out' with the Vanoise National Park authority. Looking at the date (1991) I suspect it was built for the Albertville Olympics, I think there was some sort of malarkey going on up there.

@stevew, I'll try!!

@nelly0168, The bar in the Taos is nice, but you have spotted the flaw! It is pricy but the views out of the window over the Sassiere are great. Last season it did not seem that busy and I don't think I would ever call it buzzing. But as you say there are plenty of cheaper bars with atmosphere within a couple of hundred metres of the Church - Alpaka/Loop/Jam Bar and planty more within 7 or 8 minutes walk.
ski holidays
nelly0168 wrote:
Shame about the Alpaca, we had some amazing nights there over the years, particularly when they had the ginormous dog you used to fall over at the front door!

That enormous dog was an Irish Wolfhound called Oscar....it was the size of a Shetland pony.

It's a while since I was there, but it's always a shame to see a place with such character (and memories), being demolished.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, What I can't remember is whether Oscar came before or after Max - both Irish Wolfhounds and both as daft as a brush! I must ask Jill.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
@Old Fartbag, What I can't remember is whether Oscar came before or after Max - both Irish Wolfhounds and both as daft as a brush! I must ask Jill.

I can't answer that, but I can tell you that it was Oscar that met us at the door in Jan 2009. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:

Max, then Max AND Oscar, then just Oscar.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy