Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2016/17 Weather Report

Poster: A snowHead
We had a really great week based in Pedraces even though the local area at Santa Croce shut on Wednesday and Sonpunt on Thursday. Some fantastic overnight repair work to lower areas, especially Corvara kept things skiable, the Sella Ronda was open both ways and still good to ski and dip on and off of to make great days out. The cinque torri and the hidden valley were in great condition apart from the very bottom. We went over to Alba using the new lift and enjoyed some good skiing on virtually deserted pistes. We had no lift queues and everywhere was quiet on the pistes all week. My son and I clocked up over 350k each in 6 days according to the Ski Tracks ap.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So much closed now, very early finish to the season Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arabba is still hanging on for another week -- although the bare areas on the Burz slopes now have a 'green' tinge !
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Going very cold later this week. A bit too late for the lift served season though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like another decent fall middle of this week
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow now arriving Over the Dolomites.
Bergfex are forecasting 70cms at the summits. More than has fallen all season snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How much natural snow actually fell in the Dolomites this season?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good cover again this morning

http://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/webcams/c7768/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

How much natural snow actually fell in the Dolomites this season?

I'd say not enough to be significant. If it wasn't for the excellent snow making then the season would almost certainly have been a washout. If you looked at the snow off of the lower down pistes you could see that on the slopes that had sun none of it lasted more than 2-3 weeks from even the heaviest of the natural snowfall. Many of the interconnecting slopes with no snow making were closed for much of the season despite the ability for the snow groomers to shovel it about.

If you look at the snowfall history for Val Gardena on onthesnow.co.uk then the rough numbers are:

2017: 100 cm*
2016: 214 cm
2015: 142 cm
2014: 766 cm
2013: 572 cm
2012: 356 cm
2011: 120 cm
2010: 353 cm
2009: 462 cm

* ignoring 8cm on 5th April which is out of season - I haven't checked the other years for snow in/out of season and other years will also have the early snow in them as well as I think these are calendar years.

So it looks like 2017 is likely to be the lowest snowfall for the last 9 years, but close enough to the other couple of poor years to be more or less the same, and only about a third of the average snowfall (@ 340 cm) over the same period. Here's hoping next season will have more typical snowfall.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Italy had one of the 5 worst seasons in the past 100 years. And their worst season this century.

It was a disaster.

Only the snowguns saved them.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The good news is that although the natural snow fall has been poor, the skiing has been reliable with very high mileage of runs open and very few days lost or curtailed to wind, access or avalanche risk.

Also I suspect there has been a high proportion of excellent visibility days, which is what most skiers away for a 6 day ski holiday actually want.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow 100cm is pretty dramatic. I mean there's been individual dumps there or bigger than it elsewhere in europe, and looking at the states this year its mind boggling. Still love the dolomites mind.

Incidentally last time I was there I got on a chair lift with an older Scot, skiing alone in the clockwise direction of sella Ronda, somewhere just shy of the place with the view of the lift with no pistes back down, from the south. Could it have been older scot?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/webcams/

Perfect conditions this morning Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Incidentally last time I was there I got on a chair lift with an older Scot, skiing alone in the clockwise direction of sella Ronda, somewhere just shy of the place with the view of the lift with no pistes back down, from the south. Could it have been older scot?

It's always possible although I don't usually ski alone, I'm not really that old and I don't speak with much of a Scottish accent so i suspect it might have been someone else.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitegold wrote:
Italy had one of the 5 worst seasons in the past 100 years. And their worst season this century.

It was a disaster.

That's quite the sweeping statement. rolling eyes
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

It was a disaster.

That's quite the sweeping statement. rolling eyes

It was far from a disaster- I skied Ortisei in early March and the skiing was wonderful. But the cannons probably DID save the season...

CG
ski holidays
Likewise. Had great spring and new snow in Madesimo at the end of March.
snow report
I just love Madesimo

Havnt been for years though.......
ski holidays
Maersk wrote:
I just love Madesimo

Havnt been for years though.......

Was blown away with how good it is Smile
ski holidays
Still looking good at altitude

http://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/webcams/c7768/

Looks to be warming up soon however
snow conditions
Spent most of the 80's in Madesimo
latest report
Maersk wrote:
Spent most of the 80's in Madesimo

Lucky you 👍
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

It was a disaster.

Odd, I distinctly remember the Milky Way digging out chairlifts this season.
snow report
Quote:

albob wrote:
@cameronphillips2000,

you mean like this !!

http://youtube.com/v/R9vgmy1fiQU

Anybody know which piste this is?
snow report
It's 'Laurin' No9 at Alpe di Suisi (got that from the Subtitles....)
ski holidays
Ha.. didn't think of that. Thanks.
snow report
I went out for a ski on Marmolada today and skinned up to Pian Fiaconi, with snow from the carpark. It was thin low down but skiable and higher up there was good powder. Here's some pics: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4kAVITImjY/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
ski holidays
PS if you take a look at https://effis.jrc.ec.europa.eu/applications/seasonal-forecast/ the Dolomites could well be the place to be this year, with what looks to be above average rain/snowfall...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I saw on Cortina d'Ampezzo's Facebook page they opened some lifts this weekend.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy