Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2016/17 Weather Report

Poster: A snowHead
Tomorrow looks a bit wild but after that the shelter of the Dolomites should mean more skiing available there next week, than some other parts of the alps which look prone to wind and avalanche disruption.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter S wrote:
Tomorrow looks a bit wild but after that the shelter of the Dolomites should mean more skiing available there next week, than some other parts of the alps which look prone to wind and avalanche disruption.

indeed -- the live webcam in arabba is shaking in the wind...! ; looks to be snowing there tho' :: also some lift closures in Selva due to wind
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just got back from Corvara . We had snow mid week - but it was only a few inches which made the resort pretty but it soon went , there was some forecasted this weekend though what is forecasted is very optimistic.- Temperatures got a bit Silly , the bottom of San Cassiano was showing 18 degrees one lunch time, that said they are looking after the pistes and the skiing is good though heavy later on. Off Piste is impossible.Italian and German Half term made doing the Sella Ronda impossible due to queue lengths.
The Dolomites need some snow as Spring is well on its way! Its a great place to go though!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowing tonight in selva although not much

SR antiClock was closed at val di fassa area due to the wind

The lack of snow makes things look rather drab today but sun is forecast
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just back from Arabba. 4 inches mid week, a bit more on top of Marmolada. Made everything nice and white but didn't improve the pistes any. Just didn't seem to knit to the artificial stuff which was quite compacted and the fresh stuff soon cut up into moguls anywhere busy. Can't believe how good the snowmaking is across Sella Ronda, unless it's going to dump a foot or two I think the pistes are better without real snow.

Take-off from Innsbrook this morning very possibly the scariest experience of my life!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Sailbad the Sinner, At least you got away. Diversion via Munich would probably not have been on your wish list. Agree with your comments about snowmaking quality in the Dolomites. We had a wonderful time there in January with little sign of real snow. Standard of the pistes was outstanding.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
6 to 8 inches of snow at mid to high levels overnight turned most runs into easy mogul fields. Good fun

Seems quiet for a Sunday perhaps the forecast put people off but it was actually a decent day after about 11.00. I pottered about in the plan de gralba and belvedere areas

Pistes really are in great shape - why is dolomtien artificial snow as good as the real thing?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think it must be the consistently dry air ?

Looks like a much nicer ski day in the eastern alps today than the west Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, today was a funny day. We set off from Badia to do Sella Ronda Orange, only to find the signs saying the SR was closed, both ways due to high winds. Never mind, we'll see how far we can get and anyway there's some good runs around Arabba. So we kept going, carefully checking we had a lift back out of a valley before skiing into it. Eventually it dawned on us that we'd skied through the part that was supposedly closed and checking ahead on phones via the website all the lifts ahead were open. So we carried on and completed the circuit when it should have been closed. The only key lift we saw not running was the one numbered 153 up to the Sassolongo. The parallel 154 lift which does almost the same job was OK - so we took that and got through the Passo Sella and on to Selva. Now, I might be talking rubbish but IMO it was windy, but not enough to close lifts. I wonder if there was a fault with the lift and they were telling porkies about the wind. Anyway, a great day skiing, pistes in good nick and only a bit lumpy towards the end of the day.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@agw, yes I saw those signs although my trip out and back from selva to San cassiano was - like yours - unaffected

Was windy thiough!

Peeps who went to alpe de suissi reported my worse snow in those sunny areas

Runs down to la villa were the highlight but alta badia as a whole is in good nick
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@agw, that 153 lift is usually the first to close if the wind gets up. I had the same experience as you a couple of year ago, signs saying the Ronda closed, but the lifts seemed to be working. Until I got to the Col Rodella area where the lifts (153/154) were closed! ; had to walk along a track to the top of the Sella pass for the ski down into Selva...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On reflection and talking to the seasonnaires it's probably the ptb covering themselves. IOW if you get stuck in the wrong valley then it's down to you.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Could do with a Tbar to guarantee the link.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergfex forecasting high winds tomorrow. A day to spend in your 'home' valley, I think.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Minger today - rained all day.

It would taken konrad bartelski himself about quarter of an hour to get down sasslong the 'snow' was so wet

Gale force foehn tomorrow deep joy rolling eyes
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:
Minger today - rained all day.

It would taken konrad bartelski himself about quarter of an hour to get down sasslong the 'snow' was so wet

Gale force foehn tomorrow deep joy rolling eyes

Not too good over in Alta Badia either although the pistes were OK for most of the day and the sun came out briefly before lunch. Waiting to see what lifts will be open today.
snow conditions
Actually was all open today as the wind dropped a bit.

Beautiful bluebird skies

Pistes had taken a bit of a scouring from the wind - it was hard pack heaven Toofy Grin

Home for me tomorrow after a fantastic week of sunny skies, great snow and the amazing scope and scenery of the Dolomites

It would be a damn hard choice between here and the Arlberg if I had to pick my favourite destination
snow conditions
Bluebird day today ....Did sella Ronda anticlockwise from arabba and then a few portovescovos ..... Amazingly good pistes ... Ribbons of snow in some places through grassy meadows but great skiing none the less. No off piste worth trying .... Off to selva and Marmolada tomorrow so will see what's available there.
More blue skies forecast for rest of week.
Temperatures lovely today - soft spring conditions by mid morning on most sunny slopes but didn't get really slushy ..... Refreeze from about 4.30 on some shady slopes made things tougher !!
snow report
Same again - bluebird day with great piste skiing
Went to ortisei on James Bond run .... Very soft below 1600m but great fun on the fat boys ! Laughing
Some tricky moguls on the way home late afternoon especially when they started to freeze Skullie
More sun tomorrow and getting even warmer in next few days
latest report
@PBJ, That's a long day! Out of curiosity, which way from Arabba did you go? - anticlockwise (corvara ) or clockwise??

Webcams showing Arabba looking a bit brown....
ski holidays
We went clockwise .... It was a lovely day ....Webcams don't lie it is very brown on all south facing slopes .... Pistes remarkably good
Another blue sky day - marmolada a few laps .... Long queue at bottom by mid morning but stay high on glacier was great
Finished with 9 laps of burtz chair black from 4 till 5pm snowHead Laughing
latest report
Ahh -- the Burz black, wonderful Smile
snow report
High cloud and some sun yesterday
Went to pozza de fassa .... Good snow in the bowl and a couple of great blacks.
Finished with quick sella Ronda clockwise and a few burtz blacks 😁
Blue skies this morning ..... Off to Hidden valley
snow report
I've got everything crossed in the hope that the pistes hold up for another couple of weeks. We are in Pedraces/Badia from 26th March. I know they are marvelous at maintaining the pistes but the weather forecast does look a bit warm and foreboding rolling eyes
ski holidays
Italy conditions looking fairly grim for the time of year.

latest report
Or not too bad considering. It all depends on the view and angle, this is the same valley and runs, just from the top of the slope to the left of the picture above.

ski holidays
Bluebird day today with 15 degrees at 1900m rolling eyes
Pistes still good but hard to see it lasting another 3 weeks unless it snows or gets colder Sad
Hidden valley excellent .... Horse tow carnage hilarious Toofy Grin
Santa Croce beautiful .... As usual a few burtz blacks to finish.
ski holidays
Should last just fine as long as there is no heavy rain or saturated mild air. The air looks dry at the moment so the snow will last. Possible heavy snow (or rain?) in a weeks time according to GEFS.

They will know exactly how much snow they need now to keep the runs open. Many places won't need any more and they may already have removed the mobile snow guns there. Other areas will need additional snow making before the end of the season.

At this time of the season it's about holding onto the snow rather than having to make it. That is A much more reassuring place to be than The start of the season.

Have fun in the beautiful sun Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:
Should last just fine as long as there is no heavy rain or saturated mild air. The air looks dry at the moment so the snow will last. Possible heavy snow (or rain?) in a weeks time according to GEFS.

They will know exactly how much snow they need now to keep the runs open. Many places won't need any more and they may already have removed the mobile snow guns there. Other areas will need additional snow making before the end of the season.

At this time of the season it's about holding onto the snow rather than having to make it. That is A much more reassuring place to be than The start of the season.

Have fun in the beautiful sun Cool

My bold, snow promised every week since January. No snow of consequence at all at Ortisei (my focus) for ages. Everything is man made. 5th-12th March was fab, but temps are up, and the carpet is shrinking. I don't think it'll be fine in 3 weeks.
snow report
It looks like any snow next week might only be a couple of inches according to bergfex. I'd generally trust them more than the GFS based forecasts.

Why the focus on 3 weeks though? I thought the season pretty much comes to an end in just over two weeks time (Sunday 2nd April) when the Alta Badia Ski lifts and Sella Ronda are due to close.
ski holidays
I'm out there (staying in Selva) for 4 days 30/03-02/04 so still hoping for skiable Sella Ronda in both directions and a few Marmoladas. High current temperatures are a worry though.... Can anyone recommend any good places for lunch around the circuit at any key stop off points (Arabba, Colfosco, Corvara, Selva etc)? The way things are looking, long lunches may be the savior of good spirit..... Cool
snow conditions
@RakTrak, take your golf clubs
latest report
@RakTrak, All the huts are of good quality - just take your pick !
ski holidays
It's not looking good on the Pedraces web cam today - some bare spots showing on the lower section of the red by the Santa Croce chair. How long can they keep this ski-able for with the current day and night temperatures and rain forecast too?
snow report
The Burz Black looking a bit sad today .. Sad

ski holidays
^^^That's depressing!
latest report
Grim.

It does look like it's been abandoned for the end of season though. No sign of any snow machines and slope to the right looks OK. I'd say it's probably not typical of the rest of the slopes and anyone going out for the last week of the season should be OK.
ski holidays
@olderscot, Suspect you are right, it looks the same today - unpisted
ski holidays
Reporting from the scene of the crime. Had a great day yesterday did the sella Ronda green and all the runs were pretty much complete. It is Spring though so the slush fest was a feature from mid afternoon onwards. Grand Risa black was in pretty good shape and as everywhere else very quiet. Off to the Marmolada today which should be good😄
snow report
Well that's it for the Alta badia . They just about held on until the end. A poor season no doubt about it. What are the chances of April and May being snowy !

Despite the lack of natural snow they have probably delivered one of the most reliable seasons in the alps in terms of quantity of runs available and reliability of skiing.

Hopefully I'll actually get out there next season snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy