Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2016/17 Weather Report

Poster: A snowHead
Time to start speculating. Will there be snow on 1 January 2017? Last year I gather snow didn't arrive until the following week. Since I'm arriving on 31/12 it had better well get the finger out and turn up well before then Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will be keeping an eye on this thread. Have booked flights to Milan in the middle of Jan but am waiting until the week before to choose resort. Dolomites will def be a possibility though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you look on page 1 of the BB thread there is a live webcam in Arabba 🌨🌨🌨

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=119858
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Because the Dolomites do not get as much snow they have a shed load of snow cannons and are VERY VERY good at managing what snow they have. Also the pistes have been picked clear of rocks so they do not need a lot unlike some other resorts with rocks everywhere.

I have had good piste skiing with only 10 to 15 cms of snow reported.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TQA wrote:
Because the Dolomites do not get as much snow they have a shed load of snow cannons and are VERY VERY good at managing what snow they have. Also the pistes have been picked clear of rocks so they do not need a lot unlike some other resorts with rocks everywhere.

I have had good piste skiing with only 10 to 15 cms of snow reported.

The Dolomites had the best skiing in Europe last Christmas and it hadn't snowed all season. It's quite a surreal experience skiing on 600km of white ribbon pistes draped across green meadows.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I saw the pictures of last Christmas. Very strange. I was there the third week of Jan and it was all snowy like a proper resort Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@cameronphillips2000,

you mean like this !!

http://youtube.com/v/R9vgmy1fiQU
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ghost Dog wrote:
Time to start speculating. Will there be snow on 1 January 2017? Last year I gather snow didn't arrive until the following week. Since I'm arriving on 31/12 it had better well get the finger out and turn up well before then Smile

This year i AM NOT going to obsess like last year. I was panicking like made over the lack of snow and hot temps for the PreBB and BB. You know what - whilst off piste was pants, the slopes were simply amazing - not a rock in sight on the pistes, very little ice (until the end of the day) and I had a great time. What made it even better is I got to prance around in a thin top rather than being all wrapped up Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
albob wrote:
@cameronphillips2000,

you mean like this !!

Kinda cool.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold wrote:
albob wrote:
@cameronphillips2000,

you mean like this !!

Kinda cool.

Yep, although to be fair most of the piste are much wider and still covered.

I did ski on a narrower one, through Corvara golf course when somebody actually chipped over me from one side of a 6 ft wide piste piste over the top to a green on the other side. It was quite a good shot actually and he probably sank the following putt.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That lad is all equipped with his knapsack and helmet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@biddpyat, Don't be daft, thats his Avi gear - just in case Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Got the usual problem of trying to find a car hire company in Italy that offers winter tyres. I emailed Europcar which offered a package last year with such tyres, but got a dismissive response along the lines that they only offer this facility in countries where they are compulsory.
Don't suppose anyone is aware of any positive developments here with other car hire companies in Italy?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hire in Veneto. Has to be winterised by law.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Will there be snow on 1 January 2017?

Yes. I'm there early December each year and never a problem. Even last year, it may have looked bare but the SR complete.
ski holidays
We were there end of Jan last year. Perhaps only 30cms of natural snow on the tops, but the on piste skiing was excellent pretty much everywhere snowHead
ski holidays
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Hire in Veneto. Has to be winterised by law.

Tried a couple of companies at Venice airport and no mention of winter tyres Sad
snow conditions
pjd wrote:
Got the usual problem of trying to find a car hire company in Italy that offers winter tyres. I emailed Europcar which offered a package last year with such tyres, but got a dismissive response along the lines that they only offer this facility in countries where they are compulsory.
Don't suppose anyone is aware of any positive developments here with other car hire companies in Italy?

If you fly into Venice, all cars are fitted with winter tyres (of a sort) by law. This was not the case a few years ago but I believe it change three years ago to be mandatory. Last year I confirmed it with Avis.

However, the Ford Kuga they provided had M+S tyres which they said were winter snow tyres. Now I don't want to get into a debate on tyres but M+S are NOT proper winter tyres but they are good enough and you may want to consider a backup of chains-hire as well. I had these on my Landrover freelander and you would slide at slow speeds in light-snow on a hill. However, my Honda Accord with proper winter tyres was flawless. So it may be worth while sending an email to confirm if there are winter tyres or M+S.

regards
Bob
snow report
Thanks Bob for that
snow report
first snow !?!

Pordoi is at nearly 3000 metres tho'.......
ski holidays
It's snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile
ski holidays
I was in Corvara last week and first thing Saturday morning, I could see snow had settled at approx 2000m above Colfosco around the top of the Col Pradat gondola and the top of Forcelles chair. Nice to see but had to leave for home that morning
snow conditions
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
pjd wrote:

If you fly into Venice, all cars are fitted with winter tyres (of a sort) by law. This was not the case a few years ago but I believe it change three years ago to be mandatory. Last year I confirmed it with Avis.

However, the Ford Kuga they provided had M+S tyres which they said were winter snow tyres. Now I don't want to get into a debate on tyres but M+S are NOT proper winter tyres but they are good enough and you may want to consider a backup of chains-hire as well. I had these on my Landrover freelander and you would slide at slow speeds in light-snow on a hill. However, my Honda Accord with proper winter tyres was flawless. So it may be worth while sending an email to confirm if there are winter tyres or M+S.

regards
Bob

I hired from Venice last Feb from Hertz. I was offered cars with snow tyres, but the extra charges were more than the prepaid rental cost! They didn't come as standard.

I took a Focus Estate with summer tyres & snow chains which is the minimum requirement on many roads going North and there was no extra charge for this.

It snowed quite a bit, but roads were kept clear up to & around Alleghe. Even drove up to Arabba one day without problem.
snow report
Cheers @luigi, my nightmare is that it will snow heavily on the road up from Waidbruck to St Ulrich and I'll end up having to put on rusty and ill fitting snow chains on during the dark. We're flying to Bergamo so am thinking of hiring a car and parking it at Bozen if the weather turns nasty and/or driving it down there in advance of our departure date if heavy snow is forecast then. A ridiculous state of affairs though but the alternatives of flights to Austria and Bavaria at half term make that option prohibitive and public transport from Bergamo is not easy.
snow report
Quote:

my nightmare is that it will snow heavily on the road up from Waidbruck to St Ulrich

Is that road ever snowed up? I'm pretty sure you'd be OK even in a good season. Of course a storm can hit anywhere in the Alps, but that's a pretty major route (e.g. several buses per hour use it) so I'd guess it was always kept clear. And on the bright side, if you had to use chains on that road you'd be in for epic conditions when you did make it:-)
snow report
My Daughter was enjoying walks in very warm sunshine in the mountains above Ortesei on Monday. No snow yet. wink
latest report
pjd wrote:
Cheers @luigi, my nightmare is that it will snow heavily on the road up from Waidbruck to St Ulrich and I'll end up having to put on rusty and ill fitting snow chains on during the dark. We're flying to Bergamo so am thinking of hiring a car and parking it at Bozen if the weather turns nasty and/or driving it down there in advance of our departure date if heavy snow is forecast then. A ridiculous state of affairs though but the alternatives of flights to Austria and Bavaria at half term make that option prohibitive and public transport from Bergamo is not easy.

The road from Ponte Gardena to Ortisei is so heavily trafficked & ploughed, I doubt if snow would ever be allowed to settle there.

In early March, 12 yrs ago we arrived to snow flurries at Treviso airport, so it was very cold. Took an Opel Astra estate with summer tyres (no chains, that's all there was back then) up to Selva, quite a bit of slush in Val Gardena, but road was fully open. It snowed nearly every night that week and the only issue we had was a short section where the driveway to our apartment crossed the piste that runs down through Selva village. We drove up to Plan de Gralba one day, the car park was snowy, but the road was fine. Though, I believe the Gardena & Sella Passes were closed at times while they cleared snow. Ortisei is considerably more sheltered & lower altitude than Selva.

Good to have a plan B, but I doubt you'll need it.
ski holidays
Thanks @luigi, though I remember doing the run in Feb from Wolkenstein/ Selva down to the valley very early in the morning when it was dark , freezing and snowing very heavily and thinking how relieved I was to have winter tyres ( we were flying to and back from Munich so winter tyres came as standard ). Perhaps I'm worrying unnecessarily though!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First snow on top of Ciampinoi today Smile -- probably gone by Noon, but a start..
snow conditions
Snow Cannons running on Piz Sella this A.M. !! snowHead

snow conditions
Cannons in use on the Tondi di Faloria slope in Cortina...temps well below zero overnight, but when the sun comes out it was +12C during the day, though cannons are running in one of the archive shots when the webcam says it's +8C. I guess they're probably just trying to get a base down for the weekend's expected cold snap bringing perhaps around 20-30cm of snow at altitude across the Dolomites. Colder temps forecast all next week.

http://www.bergfex.com/faloria-cristallo-mietres/webcams/c2029/

A good feature of Bergfex webcam pages is that you can trawl back through a cam archive, so in the evening when it's dark on the resort cams, you can see what happened during daylight hours. wink

Looking hopeful for a more normal start to the season! snowHead
snow report
More snowmaking going on in the Sella Pass above Selva... snowHead

http://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/webcams/c7768/
snow report
Snowfall overnight in Arabba...village roofs are white...with hopefully more to arrive over coming days!! snowHead

http://www.bergfex.com/arabba/webcams/c2848/
snow conditions
http://www.meteocam.it/live/pub/meteocam6_1.jpg
ski holidays
Looking good in the Dolomites

http://www.valgardena.it/en/val-gardena/information-services/weather-live-cams/live-webcam/piz-sella-live/
ski holidays
Toadman wrote:
Looking good in the Dolomites........

followed by the sad sight of RAIN streaming down the webcams this AM...... Sad
snow report
Still snowing
ski holidays
albob wrote:
Toadman wrote:
Looking good in the Dolomites........

followed by the sad sight of RAIN streaming down the webcams this AM...... Sad

Snowy roofs have gone in Arabba, clearly just too mild today at that altitude...early days yet, this coming week looks a lot colder.
latest report
Looking a bit snowy and cannons are on. Winter is here Smile
snow report
Seiser Alm webcam

http://seis.it-wms.com/wmspanoviewer.php?lang=en
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy