Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2016 - 2017

Poster: A snowHead
These announcements were made last year. I remember hearing about them in London sometime in October.

Quote:

Pré Saint-Esprit: detachable chairlift, with station for the seats (faster restart after a stormy night). 6 seats, duration / 2, flow * 2. € 12 million. Heated seats, bubbles, arrival directly above Plagnettes (which is underutilized)

By underutilised they mean doesn't have a permanent 5 minute queue. To me the Plangnettes lift is perfectly utilised and runs about 80% capacity (3 out of every 4 seats full)
Quote:

Upgrading Comborciere would offer to an incentive to link over that way.

Well I have often used it as a convenient lift back when the queue for Ours is too long. I keep wondering what the original drag lift up Comborciere was like and would it have been faster than the current chair.

I must admit the prospect of an extra 1050 beds without any new pistes is a bit scary and saying that the Mont Blanc and Cascades are underutilised is not IMHO a good enougth reason for not expanding the piste capacity. IIRC Cascades was designated a piste mauve a few years ago specifically for slow skiing beginners - do beginners really want busier pistes?

I am with @Arctic Roll, about possibility of developing over the Col du Chal, but it is south facing so only a relatively short piste will be possible. I keep wondering if it is possible to develop from the Mont Blanc piste down through the Malgovert forest to the 2000 road.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar wrote:
Arctic Roll wrote:
... the back of Col de la Chal (and yes, all that that entails with infrastructure investment) ...
Wouldn't that stray in to the national park? Some lovely terrain down there, but I think development wouldn't be allowed?

Oh yes, I'm sure there is an environmental impact, as well as the Vanoise Park issue. But confess as to being at a bit of a loss as to where else you might expand the domain.

Malgovert Forest? I suppose the 2019 upgraded Combourciere might make that a feasible target (I am concerned about having increased inappropriate footfall through the Malgovert piste as it stands: albeit re-designating from red to black might ease that fear...) - although return to 1600 isn't going to be easy if you drop below the road, and , it is low.

Another option might be replacing the Clocheret lift and opening up that face a bit more to reduce congestion: but would potentially ruin some great, great runs. And the powder field above the snowpark would become just another area to be tracked out before 11am (now that really is selfish...!).

I can see Arolles getting busier too as the new hotel comes onstream. Bah.

I'm sure there are options within the domain's current boundaries, I just don't want any of them to become mainstreet: I like the backwaters, thank you very much!

(X-post with JohnE)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rob@rar, The national park boundary runs roughly south of the lac des moutons off piste ski trail marked on the map down to the Chalets des Rossets is clearly not in the national parlk
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Arctic Roll, I went down Clocheret on Monday and it was beautiful, firm corduroy, almost empty, great views. And it is kept that way by being served only by a single very slow lift that if you didn't know where it was you could never know about. I wouldn't want to lose that just to reduce the crowding in Arc 2000.

Re reading that about the hotel Beguin made me think - I was sure that only a few years ago it was gutted and turned into an aparthotel. Now, it doesn't even display its name only the word "BAR" It also made me think that I have never been into it. It must have one of the finest views in the Alps (well one side, the other must be the worst)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, we SO agree about Clocheret: along with the Carreley run it is the one we do most. It is beautiful. But it is the crowding across everywhere that I'm concerned about. I was taken out on that 1600 home run: the links running down to Vagere / Transarc can be a nightmare: and the sheer ant-like behaviour in the 2000 bowl is beginning to look like Piccadilly Circus at rush hour.

Having said that, I don't think we waited more than 5 mins anywhere in the fortnight before Easter (excepting Aguille Rouge): it's not the lifts, it's the sheer volumes on the piste that are getting out of hand. [/old git mode]

I'd too love to see what's happened to the Beguin, and agree: front side - wow; backside? Well the name says it all. Are you out in the summer, maybe we could go for an explore!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Arctic Roll, Oddly I was also taken out on the Mont Blanc piste down to 1600. There were only 4 people on the piste - my son and a friend of his 100 metres ahead and I was hit from behind by the only other skier on the piste. He raced off leaving me lying on the ground for quite a while before a ski school came down and iinstructor radioed for help.

Yes, I am in Les Arcs a bit over the summer, but cannot recall the plans at the moment.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, @Arctic Roll, Clocheret became our 'run of choice' last week. Staying in 2000, after we picked up 2 eldest boys from lessons and had lunch, the 2000 bowl and Arcabulle in particular was too busy for my liking and that of 'intermediate' children. So we'd scoot over to Clocheret via the Snowpark, do a few runs there before returning 'home' via the Arpette (normally stopping for a Crepes and a coffee).

It stayed 'firm' and no-one on it. The pace of the Clocheret lift was a little tedious for impatient middle son. But if that is one of the reasons no-one uses it, that works for me!

Replacing the Pre-St Espirt. Halleluah! It is an ideal 'warm' up run, as stated earlier. I'm surprised they say the Plagnettes is 'under-utilised'. Once we had taken the Arcabulle up, we would ski down only as far as the Plagnettes for the uplift back... And it seems many other folks did the same - net effect 5 to 10 minute q rather than 10 to 15... Nevertheless, it would seem the right thing to extend PsE lift up to it else it'll just make the Arcabulle worse as rob@rar states.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richie_S wrote:
.............I'm surprised they say the Plagnettes is 'under-utilised'.........

Doesn't surprise me, invariably for most of the winter once the sun goes in the 2000 bowl is horrendously cold or if the weather is a bit bad then the bowl gets it and given the choice between Arcabuelle or Plagnettes we take Arcabuelle most of the time. Also runs down from Bois/Arpette lead to Arcabuelle, Marmotte leads to Arcabuell, most runs lead to the at lift.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Also runs down from Bois/Arpette lead to Arcabuelle, Marmotte leads to Arcabuell, most runs lead to the at lift.

Well yes, but the runs from the Grand Col and Col du Chal basically stop at the Plagnettes. In most cases when I am skiing the 2000 bowl I will take Varet up and across to the Plagnettes rather than wait for the Arcabulle. It is funny how no matter how they increase the capacity there is always a queue at that point (remember when it was served by just a pair of drag lifts.)

@Richie_S, a Viz top tip: to shorten the queue at the Arcabulle, get a sledge from Rodeo and walk around the side to get on the lift quickly.

I must apologise for mentioning the run we were never going to mention on this forum and bringing it to the public attention. My normal first lifts of the day are Combettes, Cachette and often the first piste - the red from the unmentionable lift.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnE, hmmm. We did Rodeo park this year... (me and 11 yr old) - jeez, it's a bit tedious, if I'm honest. Certainly in the warmer weather, it's just too warm by the end and there's a bit of a walk through the flatter sections. Our run wasn't helped by the 20 minute delay to start, due to an unfortunate having to be stretchered off the run...

Tbh, we preferred hiring a luge and using the luge area off the magic carpet in 2000.

Unfortunately, number 2 son is adamant he wants to do it NEXT year when he is finally old enough... so i'll have to endure it again... Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Richie_S, I hate that Rodeo thing with a passion! My knees don't bend that way, my core can't hold me in that sitting position for long enough, steering appears to be a black art, etc.etc. And yes, it's a damn long walk in slush. Doing it 3 times is, IMHO, 3 times too many. Fortunately Mini Roll has grown out of it.

But I guess going through that kind of experience, with the love and sacrifice demanded, is what defines parenthood... Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PS we have 4 plastic luges in the cupboard that are no longer required: available to a good home in 1950 / 2000. Make me an offer!
(even "I'll take them off your hands" would be considered)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Richie_S, @Arctic Roll, Perhaps I am entering my second childhood, but I actually enjoyed the rodeo sledge. The first couple of times the piste was freshly pisted and rock hard. The final straight section was great, taking off over the bumps and bouncing over the ruts. I was racinng my nepthew and sone. The third time the run was covered in soft snow and it tougher. There was no walking required.

Talking to some children on the way up on the lift they said they prefered the Mile8 track in Arc 1800
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arctic Roll, I don't think they let you take your own sledge down the course and insist that they take one of their helmets.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Saturday 22 April. Les Arcs and the Paradiski has now closed.
The end of the season has arrived today and what a good day we had to end the season.

After a challenging day in Espace Killy yesterday where we skied both glaciers and managed 8 different off piste routes (see photos I will post in the Espace Killy album on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page later) in very mixed snow we wondered if the conditions today would improve or it would be more of the same back in the Paradiski area.

Well the weather man got it a little wrong today. It warmed up quite a bit and the gusting winds did not arrive.

We started the day in Arc 1600 and skied across Les Arcs finding most high lifts still open and the higher areas still in good condition. Some lower lifts were also open and we managed to get down to the Vanoise Express without difficulty although the lower pistes were very warn in places.

Then over to La Plagne and they had managed to keep the link to the Les Coches gondola open, just!

Over to Belle Plagne and up the Roche de Mio. The pistes in the higher areas of La Plagne were also in good condition and some of the group even managed to get down to the Champagny picnic hut for lunch.

For the rest of us it was up onto the Bellecote and one final trip down the Cairn Couloir on the North Face. What a surprise. Soft spring snow from the top.

Firm enough to turn on, but not crusty. All the way down, even through the steeper cliff exit the snow remained good and the ski out along the river bed was actually quite pleasant and not the crud of just a few days earlier.

After a short hike out we met our lift and back to Peisey. Pity they kept the lifts open on Saturday, but forgot to keep the shuttle bus running.

A fast ski across Les Arcs to the Vagere in Arc 1800 and then the waterslide one last time.

A final ski down in the slush of a warm spring afternoon and home just as the Ski and Bike Race was starting. The final event for the season in Les Arcs.

Well done to Les Arcs and La Plagne for keeping the links open until the final day of the season. The weather was kind today and with blue skies we could not have wished for a better finish to the season!

For anyone that likes skinning. There is still plenty of snow above 2000m in the Paradiski area and the Vanoise National Park. Get your touring gear out and enjoy the spring conditions.

For me although the lifts here have now closed I still have one more week to make the most of the snow.

Photos from today will follow tomorrow. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

If anyone is still around and does fancy coming out skinning or visiting other areas please get in touch by PM. A few of us are still around and will be planning more days out over the coming week. Very Happy

@Arctic Roll, no they do not let you take your sledges down the course.

@johnE, @Arctic Roll, Yes, most of what they said this year was the same as last year. They have in fact already started the foundations for the new hotel in Arc 1600. I just hope they can increase the lifts in that area to deal with the numbers. There are a few other ideas being talked about, but not yet published.

When the lifts open again for the summer I will post more photos and info of the developments taking place over the summer.

I will post a few more details of our days out in the area over the coming week. The season without lifts is not yet over!! Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I have been skiing both Les Arcs and La Plagne for years and I am dismayed to see that the resorts seem to be carrying on the policy of building more and more accommodation on the ski area. So we have had Mille 8 recently and now we are getting another 300 beds below Arc 1950 and a 1,050 bed Club Med complex at Arc 1600 combined with the massive development planned for below Aime La Plagne.

There has to be a point where the capacity of the actual physical mountain and pistes has been reached. I find it a great shame that in my opinion the resorts are now being spoilt by these never ending developments. Come on Paradiski wake up and realise that not everyone wants to be skiing on overcrowded pistes and see buildings and development round every turn.

Griggs
snow conditions
I have been reading on Planetski etc for years that UK skier numbers are declining. Therefore where are the people coming from to fill all the new developments that are being built in Les Arcs and elsewhere? Are skier numbers up in other countries?
snow report
@Griggs, I went to St Anton a couple times a few years ago and found the crowds unbearable. In places it was shoulder to shoulder ski tip to ski tail skiing. I thought this was due to the massive amount of accomodation related to the limited piste available. I vowed never to go back until they increased the ski area. They seem to have improved the lift system so the 3 1/2 hour waits to get up the mountain has gone. I hope that Les Arcs doesn't follow suit with too much accomodation for the pistes.

Having one of the oldest apartments in the domain what appears to be happening is that the older property is staying unoccpied for longer. This is what the resort managers keep refering to as the "cold bed problem". For example, on our stair well there are appoximately 14 apartments. Over the 2 week Easter holidays only about 4 of these were occupied. It is hard to say exactly because some groups had more than one apartment and people did come and go at various times during the fortnight. It is a pattern that is visible across the whole resort.

@snowymum, Once again my observations from Arc 1600 is that only a tiny proportion of the visitors are from the UK. This year there seamed to be an increase in Slavic and German voices in the resort, but the number from the UK was about the same. The largest proportion of people appear to be French.

I suspect the big change is that the resort is trying to attract wealthier clinets who want luxury hotels, rather than those of us who don't care for huge apartments and quite content to muck in together (I have had 8 people staying in my 35m2 apartment) and don't actually spend that much. The ideal customer for the resort is probably those that stay in upmarket chalets or hotels, head out about 10 to find a nice restaurant for lunch, stopping for a hot chocolate on the way, have a two hour lunch break with wine then head back to the hotel and collect their children from ski school. Apart from the ski school (child minding) snakes I would also encourage these clients. After all it is the people who buy lift passes and don't ski much that are funding my holidays

Just a question how many hotels do we know about in Les Arcs? I have:-

Arc 1600
Cachette
Explorers (L'Arcadien?)
Beguin
UCPA?

Arc 1800
Golf
Mercure
Is Village Club du Soleil a hotel?
Is Hotel Grive a hotel? I only know it as a restaurant

Arc 2000
Club Med
Taj-i Mah

Vallandry
There are a couple I know of and have even stayed in one, but cannot recall their names
la Vanoise
Emeraude
Vallandry

Ignoring Bourg does anyone know of any other hotels
snow report
@johnE, There are a couple of MMV club hotels in Arc 2000. There is also a club med in peisey vallandry.
In some ways Arc 1950 is more like a hotel as there is a half board option and reception in at least some of the buildings is 24 hr.

There are new higher end apartments being built as well as hotels. Eg. Cime des Arcs, Source des arcs, edenarc, oree des neiges in vallandry are all fairly recent.
ski holidays
We own in la Cime in Arc 2000. Chalet Des Neiges built it, they own most of 2000 including the new hotel. According to the people we know there the new hotel is the last thing that will be built in 2000. Cough.... Laughing
snow conditions
snowymum, I can't find a link to the article so no doubt this post on here will be rubbished!

Of total skiers in Paradis Ski 72% are French. Of the remainder 17% are from the UK. The largest foreign contingent.

In Montalbert there is a large development, Chalets de Montalbert, that was almost 100% sold to UK based buyers in 2005. Nowadays most are re sold to the French! (Apparently their co-prop meetings were held in English - nowadays in french!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 23-04-17 19:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, Russians and Dutch in Les Arcs but would agree, compared to middle England of Tignes and Val D'Isere, La Plagne and Les Arcs are very French (thought more so La Plagne)
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, Ironically I thought more UK in Les Arcs! snowHead
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, You are probably close with your 17%. I wonder how they record that since no one has ever asked my nationality. I do remember being stopped one by a lady with a clip board asking me some questions about the resort, but that was over 30 years ago. My esimates were based upon what language other people on the chairlift spoke or when standing in the bakers in the morning (actaully I haven't heard a single other English voice in the bakers, perhaps they all stay in hotels), once again not a good sampling method. My method of measuring the popularity of snowboarding is equally crude - either count them from a lift or in a particularly bored day at work count all you can see on a web cam. There are definately pockets of UK citizens around the resort. In 1600 there are very few, but I gather a much higher percentage in 1950.

Sorry, some of my favourite web sites are the ONS and http://ukdataservice.ac.uk/. I love listening to more or less on the wireless.
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, totally agree. Joys of parenthood.

@johnE, i imagine it would be better in the cold... with a firm surface.

Regarding the Brit quotient in resort. From my unscientific recollection... i'd say 1 in 5 is not inconceivable. It was 100% in our Chalet, at least!
snow conditions
I'd guess 75% of Arc1950 traffic this year is UK / Irish - but again, unscientifically based on voices at ski-school start / bakery / evening bars. All of which may be over-represented. May well change as more apartments are being bought by the French for personal use rather than renting out through TOs.

But IIRC it is only in the last 15 years that the UK has "noticed" it: I certainly recall changing minibusses on the way to Tignes at BSM in circa 1995, and pointing at the Funicular, asking 'Where's that?' to be told, 'Oh Les Arcs? that's where the French ski'.

Summertime is entirely different, when 1950 becomes almost exclusively French. Well, 95% plus. What's it like elsewhere in the domain?

@johnE, my luges pre-date the Rodeo, used exclusively on the sledging slopes of 2000 and 1950. Seem to recall a lot of walking back up hills then too... (Never did take them all they way down to Pre St Esprit in the evening for the bus - that would be naughty. Laughing )
latest report
Quote:

(Never did take them all they way down to Pre St Esprit in the evening for the bus - that would be naughty. Laughing )

And youv'e never thought of catching the bus up to Arc200 for a cheeky ski down cascade without paying?

Oddly in Arc1600 the number of english voices in 1600 rises in the summer. It is the mountain bike crowd coming in for lunch in the square. I suspect it is part of a guided route

@Arctic Roll, you may be shocked to discover that I have only been into Arc1950 twice and on one visit did hear a lot of English voices. It is not as bad as Val d'Isere where the lift attendents address you in English first.
snow report
Tuesday 25 April. The winter goes on! Had another day away from Les Arcs, but for those that are interested here is what we did. If you would like to see a photo of Les Arcs taken from across the valley go to the post on Les Arcs Winter facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Today after a sunny start as forecast the sky started to cloud over and the wind picked up. It even tried to snow a little.

We had planned on a day in Val Thorens, but with the bad weather including strong winds forecast we changed our plans and headed to La Rosiere and skinned up towards the Fort looking into Italy.

After a little snack with the weather turning we started our descent on spring snow. Once more we were able to find some nice off piste on the way back to La Ros. Finally we joined the road for a gentle hike and hoping for a drink back in the station. No such luck, everything was closed so another picnic and then home.

Tomorrow we hope for fresh snow if the forecast is correct. Only a few more days to go before the season comes to an end! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, not sure about it been 'guided' - but it is at the bottom of both a black and the 'park' routes, as well as a lovely blue run around the hill from 1950/2000: so you'll have heard me and the family in there in our best cycling lycra (but no body armour: we don't do the crazy stuff). It's a good stopping off point for lunch for sure.
Sometimes we even cycle back! (Otherwise the navettes really do come into their own when tired, and faced with that climb from Pre St Esprit.)
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll,Yes I like the blue from the Col du Chal down through 2000 and around to Arc 1600. The navette back is a good choice, but the only time I tried to catch it the bike rack was already full. It is a bit of a slog around to 2000 for us unfit people. I'm impressed that you did the black run down the Cachette - very impresed

I quite like the route down to Bourg from the Col as well, but last time missed a turn below Villaroger and ended up on th eroad through Seez. That was not so good.

Like you I didn't use body armour last year and had a couple of spills resulting is considerable loss of skin. It has prompted us to get a/ a first aid kit for the apartment and b/ wear elbow protectors.

I will listen out for your voice in 1600. In the meantime I see the resort opens for the summer on July 8th. Now to check when the mountain huts open for some high altitude stuff.
snow conditions
@snowcrazy, @Arctic Roll, The Ridge is an apartment block that appears to be on the site of the hotel Beguin judging by the arists impression; the description says Orienté plein Sud . The apartments look lovely but at 1/2 million? I will ski the same resort from my place at a fifth of that.

http://www.gsi-vente.fr/fr/annonce/vente-appartement-neuf-les-arcs-p-r7-730124037.html
snow report
@johnE, fortunately last time we used the bus, they let us put the bikes in the under-belly of the vehicle so we didn't have to ride back! The only uphill I do (I'm an old git) is the road up from 1950 to 2000, where I meet Mrs and Mini Roll who've come up in the cabriolet... Managed it 8 times in 10 days last year: which, on low pressure, fat, off-road tyres and large belly and no cleats, is if not in TdF class, still an achievement. [ /proud of self ]

We only did the black by accident, when they closed the blue down to 1600 while doing the earthworks for the training piste and so directed us (a family FFS... on hardtails...) down the black. We... err.. walked it. Embarassed

That turn below Villaroger can be quite 'interesting' to find: we've done both routes, and although there is a short seriously sharp climb out from the river towards Seez, I think it is the more direct route - even if it is 'wrong'!

We're now booked for 5th August for 2 weeks. Let's try to catch up.
snow report
@Arctic Roll, We haven't worked out when we will be in Les Arcs yet this summer, but early August is a strong probability. Hope we can meet up.

As to getting off the bike and walking down, it happenened to be when they were building the Derby lift. At the top they redirected the rout down Reche. I had skied it many times and thought nothing of it untill it came to riding down. It is actually quite steep and I could see why it used to be a black piste. I got off and walked.
snow report
Thursday 27 April. The winter is really back and we had another powder day, this time in Val Thorens!

Started as the lifts opened and skied all day until after they had closed. Found some great powder and plenty of fresh tracks in the cliffs where the vis was better up on Caron, in the Orelle Valley and on the Peclet Glacier.

Light snow was falling most of the day and more is forecast over the next 24hrs so we are hoping for a few more powder days before all the lifts in the area finally close.

Anyone out in Espace Killy or Val Thorens is going to have a great time. I might even get up into Les Arcs area again tomorrow depending on the weather.

A few photos have been posted on the Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!

@johnE, They have already started to do work on the old Beguin Hotel and the development sign has been up for a while with the new name displayed. I will get a few photos of the different developments around Les Arcs when the weather improves. However as others have mentioned, do we really need all these new residences. Where will everyone go when it is high season and the lifts queues are to long and the pistes are full!!?
snow conditions
MMmm. Looks like the had some heavy snow last night and fairly low. Long day ahead on conference calls looking at webcams.... Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Friday 28 April. Snowing down to 1000m last night. Great to wake up this morning to a curtain of white from just around the level of the Montrigon. It has now stopped snowing lower down and the snow level is slowly moving up again, but right now it is still white in the trees from around Les Granges.
More to follow later. In the mean time take a look at the webcams.

Ski touring is fun in these conditions for anyone able to get out here over the weekend. Very Happy
ski holidays
Friday 28 April. Very mixed snow on the Aiguille Rouge today.

After a lazy start I drove up (funi and lifts are closed) to Arc 2000 and then went for a little skinning trip.

Thought it would be fun to get up onto the Aiguille Rouge with the fresh snow falling lightly all day above 2000m.

I never thought how far it really was to skin up to the top until today. You do not realize how fast the lifts are until you must skin up. I think I am not as fit as I was, it took me longer than two years ago.

I used the track from Arc 2000 up towards Lanchette and then past Genepy and onto the ridge. That was far enough! I did not get too the top today, maybe next time!

Set off down and had fresh tracks everywhere once away from the normal piste routes. I discovered that some locals had a skidoo with them and were making laps using this as the lifts were closed. At least they did not go the way I went whilst I was on the way up! Yuk! Those things are noisy! So much for my peace and quiet on the mountain!

I managed one route this afternoon. Not much I know, but better than staying at home all day.

The snow high up was good, light and soft, but not for very long. It rapidly became heavier and even a little wet and sticky lower down. With light thinner touring skis this was a challenge, but well worth the effort.

For anyone thinking of grabbing a few extra days. The forecast is for more snow after a little sun this weekend, but you need to stay high as the snow is very thin below 2000m and most lower areas are not really possible to ski or board. Plus the snow around 2500m and below is becoming sticky and heavier very quickly so you need to be out straight after it has snowed to make it worth the effort.

A few photos from today are posted on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page. See what Les Arcs is looking like right now, and this is the end of April.
https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Tomorrow we are off to Val Thorens again before the lifts close. The season is not over yet!! Very Happy
ski holidays
Sunday 30 April. The snowline has moved back up the hill again and it is warm and windy in the valley. Yesterday was an amazing powder day with a blue sky and little wind.

We headed over to Val Thorens where the lifts are still running. See my post on the Three Valley thread or on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page with some photos. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

I hope to make it out again next weekend, but not sure. Depends on the snow which might arrive during the week.

As we found yesterday, you need to be out right after the snow stops and the sun comes out to get the best out of the current conditions. More to follow later. My season is not quite over yet I hope! Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
snowcrazy wrote:
.............My season is not quite over yet I hope! Very Happy Toofy Grin

Looking at the webcams this morning, definitely not.... Shocked
latest report
Monday 1st May. What a difference a day makes. Today you have snow again right down to the valley in the morning. Melting fast and now only a few patches reported in shaded places. But still, if you get up the mountain this afternoon or tomorrow it should be fun!

More snow predicted in the next few days, the winter is not over even if it is May 1st!

Maybe the Swiss weather and snow Uni that made a prediction back in November 2016 based on recent patterns are correct. The resorts might need to shift the winter season back a month and keep the lifts running into May or maybe make the season longer again as it was some years ago.

Very few places still open now. Val Thorens shuts today! I did not have a chance to get back today, pity! Tignes is still open till next weekend as are a few other glacier areas in Switzerland and Austria. If the snow keeps falling and it stays cold. There will be plenty of skinning to do this month and maybe a trip to the high glaciers as well.

For all those that like to follow the snow conditions. Check out the webcams. It is looking good!

http://www.lesarcs.com/webcams.html

More to follow after I have been up in the snow again!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy