Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
Mr.Egg wrote:
@tarrantd,

Not everything is more expensive.
My mortgage is 1/2 of what it was 10yrs ago thanks to the base rate.

The rate of inflation takes those things into account and your income figure also takes the tax changes into account.

I agree that there are bargains to be had and some elements of your annual ski holiday(s) can be haggled over but if your constrained by school holidays then, in general, prices will have risen considerably over the last 9 years regardless of currency fluctuations.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tarrantd, if you’re lucky enough to have children then pass me my violin.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gordyjh, No violins required, I'm at the grandchildren stage and their holidays are not my problem. I just find the attitude of a few on here to the financial status of some others just a little condescending. There are always individuals who don't suffer when "austerity" bites but they are in the minority but perhaps they could just remember that not everyone is quite so lucky Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:
martinm wrote:
stanton wrote:
@tarrantd,

Precisely...You forget

@Mr.Egg,

Only has Cisco Qualifications which they teach in High Schools now....it is like a basic diploma ..makeaxypu feel good Very Happy

I didn't think you rated qualifications Stantit - or have you changed your mind again Very Happy

They are a waste of time if you know what you are doing. They are for insecure people who cannot find work...

You need the qualifications to prove you can do the work to others, not to yourself.
Thats the way it is in the IT world. Especially when contracting. Lots of competition for roles & you would be instantly be rejected if a certification was a requirement.
At the end of the day, its the end clients who specifically ask for certifications. There are huge implications if they are not, like business insurance potentially being void, etc.
Ive come across a lot of 'certified' workers who dont have a clue what they are doing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@tarrantd,

Its about choices.
If one season someone could not afford to go to a large resort, they have the choice of swapping to smaller resort or cheaper country & probably the same again from there on in, or not go that season & save the money for the following season.
Its crazy when you goto Bulgaria with Balkanholiday for £500 which includes a 4* half board & lift pass.
All you need is hire money & a small amount of spending money if your not drinking.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mr.Egg, precisely.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mr.Egg, Plus one. And as I've said early, it's not just about holiday choice it's about whole life choices. Work hard from school age onwards and surprising how 'luck' finds you. It wasn't luck that had me working 7 days a week in my late teens, not taking any holidays to get me onto the property market at 19. Nor was it luck that i had to make sacrifices through my early 20s to build a great career. Choices choices choices
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
UK Sterling is diving again..All gains wiped out ..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stanton, Are you using a crystal ball or a lump of coal for your predictions
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton wrote:
At the close: Markets enter reverse as Brexit strains stack up

1 Pound =$1.10

it's $1.29 this morning, I sure wish your crash would hurry up as I'm hoping to mop up some bargains when it comes.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BergenBergen, in the time I have been on this forum I have noticed that Stantroll’s predictions are always wrong so I find it reassuring when he forecasts disaster. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Future of the British Pound Sterling hangs in the balance..

November will be critical but if T May is ousted then it could be curtains eaelier.....possibly another 20-30% drop against the Euro..

A No Hard & transition annoucement will be the only saviour for Sterlings value this Winter
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton wrote:
...possibly another 20-30% drop against the Euro..

Countered by a 20-30% rise shortly afterwards snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Could well be looking at

£1 = €0.80 cents on Hard Brexit and no recovery
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For goodness sake @stanton, you've been bleeting on about this for months. You really are so boring.
snow conditions
esaw1 wrote:
For goodness sake @stanton, you've been bleeting on about this for months. You really are so boring.

Months? well over 2 years, and so far the GBP is above where he started the thread. Don't take financial advice from a Dutchman.

latest report
@davidof, That's a sad looking tulip...…

this is a better one !

snow report
@davidof, it was about 1.18 on OP currently 1.12...

So, in fairness, he was right.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

Possibly not so ……………. Stanton claims on 6th July 2016 that we can expect £1 to equal $1.10 and 1.03 Euros.

Forex on that day was £1 = $1.29, £1 = 1.11 Euros.

So after 2 years of Mr Boring Barnier, and after the currency fluctuations, the value of the pound in your pocket appears to have settled out at around those figures.
ski holidays
@esaw1,

You do not have to reply

£1.00 = €0.80c
latest report
I did £500 yesterday at One World Travel and £750 at Thomas Cook's today - 1.11 euros on both occasions.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@esaw1,

You do not have to reply

£1.00 = €1.12

Fixed it for you...… (todays rate)
latest report
Bloody hell - I got done!

That will no doubt ruin my holiday!
snow report
Lot of anger directed at @stanton, on this thread. None of us can accurately predict the future but it is true that the £ has dropped approximately 20% against the €, the $ and the CAD $ since the referendum, and it is generally accepted that this is a causal relationship.

I don’t have a crystal ball either but it is difficult to see why the £ won’t fall further as Brexit looms larger.

Who will actually want to buy £’s? Scrapping corporation tax might be a start to attract overseas investment but with car makers leaving and the City potentially diminished and its relevance questioned, it is difficult to see why the £ would increase in value any time soon.

It seems to me that conditions are set fair for (to continue as?) a Bear market until there is a return of confidence. Carey has done little to reassure.

I am not a badge carrying Project Fear acolyte. I did vote remain. I am gutted that it is probably going to be harder and more expensive to travel in Europe. I am upset that I might not be able to buy property, live or work in Europe again.

It is heartbreaking that my children may not know these freedoms which I have enjoyed and hitherto taken for granted.
snow conditions
The pound was nearly at parity with the euro on Jan 1, 2009. And by the way, Europe and the EU are two different things.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 16-09-18 20:18; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
@mitcva, I cede to your superior reasoning 😁
latest report
mitcva wrote:
The pound was nearly at parity with the euro on Jan 1, 2009. And by the way, Europe and the EU are two different things.

+1

Quote:

I am not a badge carrying Project Fear acolyte.

Currencies go up and down and the markets factor in the things they already know about or can bet on. The 6 month forward rate for £ v Euro is 1.11 so buy forward if you are convinced and make a killing.

What if we crashed out and Parliament voted against paying the EU the £40 Billion settlement? The Euro will then also take a hit. There's lots that can happen both sides of the equation frankly and a recession cannot be too far away, cyclical as they are.

Amazingly we all went to the alps pre the EU. If I drove I took pocket fulls Francs, Deutschmarks and Schillings and had to flash the passport at all border crossings. Great fun.

I voted remain by the way but if I had to vote again tomorrow it would be adios.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

Just to quote the woman herself

Quote:
stanton
FreeRider
At the close: Markets enter reverse as Brexit strains stack up

1 Pound =$1.10 and €1.03 Coming !!!!

so pound is up since the OP.

Quote:
Snowsartre
user
Lot of anger directed at @stanton, on this thread.

Given that she thinks that YOU are a fat, gammon faced, racist, stupid, chimpanzee you seem very keen to defend her.
Quote:
None of us can accurately predict the future

Stanton can.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidof, Was not trying to defend Stanton per se as did not know gender, post history etc I merely commented that there was a lot of anger directed her way! She got the fat bit right - and probably stupid!

@Pruman, I remember as a child the seemingly interminable queues to cross currently non-existent borders which is not my definition of great fun, but it is nice to have the novelty value of an unfamiliar currency I admit. I still have a jam jar with Schilling, centimes etc
latest report
Snowsartre wrote:
@davidof, Was not trying to defend Stanton per se as did not know gender, post history etc I merely commented that there was a lot of anger directed her way! She got the fat bit right - and probably stupid!

I think it is just the endless stream of drivel and casual xenophobia that makes people aggressive.

If there is a "so called" hard Brexit the 2020 season could be less affordable.
snow report
@davidof, @skimastaaah, what sources are you using?

XE has

4.7.16 1.19370
7.7.16 1.16440

16.9.18 1.12378

So... GBP has fallen vs EUR ...which was predicted. + Hit 1.108 in November and bounced off 1.08xxx on 26.8.17.
ski holidays
@Snowsartre, i travel around Europe a lot during the ski season and have to show my passport on numerous occasions so free passage is not always there.

The tour operators are obviously not too worried as they are all happily advertising European holidays for next summer. Even Ryanair who say they are leaving UK Smile
snow conditions
@Pruman, you are conflating the EU, the Euro and the Schengen area.

Why would it be adios, now that we can all see it's going to have a negative impact, for the foreseeable future? and remain when presumably you didn't?

Puzzled Puzzled

Also. The £40bn hit is trivial to the EU.

The UK not paying that would, however, basically destroy the UK economy, as it would be seen as a basic statement that the UK was no longer good for its obligations, cue radical credit rating collapse, rampant inflation, IMF refusing to step in as the UK had skewered its own eye out.

Third Country status and third world country borrowing costs in one hit.

Probably need to adopt the Euro as a second currency, oh the irony.
latest report
under a new name wrote:

I have no idea what you mean by that. I never mentioned them.

£40billion is relatively small but not trivial. Have you ever looked at the net contributions of member states and then wondered what it looks like without the UK? But, in any case, all I was trying to illustrate was that there are factors on both sides that will effect the Pound v Euro situation (the reason for this thread). It's not all about the Pound suffering at the hands of the mighty Eurozone, the Euro is under pressure too and just wait for the next inevitable Greek bail out or, worse, an Italian slump.

The other points you make are utterly ridiculous frankly, a bit like the other day being told that all our properties would devalue by 30% overnight!
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@davidof, @skimastaaah, what sources are you using?

The one Stanton posted in the first post of this thread. I'm judging by her words: 1.10 to 1.12, an increase, albeit small.
snow conditions
£40billion is trivial to the EU overal budget.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

Why would it be adios, now that we can all see it's going to have a negative impact, for the foreseeable future? and remain when presumably you didn't?

Puzzled Puzzled

Also. The £40bn hit is trivial to the EU.

The UK not paying that would, however, basically destroy the UK economy, as it would be seen as a basic statement that the UK was no longer good for its obligations, cue radical credit rating collapse, rampant inflation, IMF refusing to step in as the UK had skewered its own eye out.

Third Country status and third world country borrowing costs in one hit.

Probably need to adopt the Euro as a second currency, oh the irony.

snow conditions
Pound Sterling Faces Years Below Parity vs. Euro in 'No Deal' Outcome

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/eur/9955-pound-to-euro-outlook-no-deal-scenario
ski holidays
@stanton, instead of continually quoting other people, put your money where your mouth is and tell us you've shorted the pound and made a killing eh?

Then F off to your Non EU mountains and enjoy your gains.
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll,

Time to buy Sterling and sell in 20/30 years..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy