Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Mojo - Review Jan 2015 - Updated March 16th

Poster: A snowHead
T Bar wrote:

Things I found:

1) You need bigger salopettes, mine were about 10 years old and although decent quality a little tight and the Mojo threatened them and cause the zip a bit of stress, I bought a pair of cheap ones from Decathlon for the second holiday with more room and had less fear of a salopette failure.

You also need salopettes that are smooth, nylon lined. The Velcro on the mojo sticks to fleece lined salopettes. Embarassed
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have now used my mojo on two different weeks and have now sorted most of the issues out. I did have to use an allen key on one of the clamps as it had worn loose. Certainly less fatigue in my thighs at the end of each day. I agree about the Salopettes. The one issue I still have is to do with the suspender belt ( I know that is the wrong name for it). I find that the horizontal clip at the front does not stay in position over the webbing. If anyone understands what I am trying to describe , I would be grateful for any advice or comments.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
T bar - very interesting and supportive post. Amusement for friends and family (?) is something I am hoping to avoid, my husband is supportive although no doubt there will be a little ribaldry in the bedroom before going down to the ski room but as for the friends - I am hoping to amaze them with my new ability to stay out for several more runs than has been the case in the couple of years. I will report back when I return but this wont be until towards the end of April.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So the broken clip on first use has been fixed quickly. However now over in Whistler and the left one has given up. Pulley in the hinge has disintegrated. Made of plastic. It will be replaced but not much use when you have spent a lot of money on these things only to get 3 days use from them out of 9. Grrrr

Not impressed with the quality and there is no on mountain service possible.

Handy when they are working though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jake43 wrote:
So the broken clip on first use has been fixed quickly. However now over in Whistler and the left one has given up. Pulley in the hinge has disintegrated. Made of plastic. It will be replaced but not much use when you have spent a lot of money on these things only to get 3 days use from them out of 9. Grrrr

I have had mine for 2+ years now, main issue has been the clip on the end of the pole that connects to the boot. I hear this has been replaced with a new design. is your a push fit, or do you pull a slide mechanism before connecting the bottom rod to the boot?

With regard the hinge (assume you mean the knee hinge where the spring is located), our small ski group has a total of 3 ski mojo between us. Two around are around 2 years old and suffered boot clip issue, now resolved. 1 @ 5+years old which had issues where rod connected to waste band - original design changed with the popper stud which as worked well. None of us have had and knee hinge issues so suspect you are just unlucky.

It is frustrating when it fails in resort, especially as there is unlikely to be any local solution. I now carry spared for the boot clips, but unlikely to have spared for knee hinge.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Steveee, the annoying thing about the new design for attaching to the boot is that hat stud us slightly smaller do need to change that as well. I remain overall pleased i have it but the engineering is rubbish
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Should have kept quiet! Clip holding bottom rod to main part of mojo disappeared today! No spares for that, means it has to be returned for repair Twisted Evil
Good news is the clip is not a key part of the mojo, I.e. just stops rod dropping out of sleeve so I can continue to use the mojo for last 2 days of holiday. Disappointed it failed after 2 seasons, but them my wife's is going strong after 6+ seasons and has the same type of clip.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Steveee, The clip was the one on the under crotch ones that attach to the MoJo top point. It was just a badly made clip as soon as any pressure was put on it the clip just fell apart. Managed to work with that though as not crucial.

The real problem is the hinge. There is a plastic washer that the steel rope slides on and one just disintegrated. So when in resort not a lot can be done. Could have worn jus the one but it was the worst knee where the joint failed so would not have been much use. So managed less skiing after they broke and suffering painful knees.

I am surprised they do not try and sell them in resorts as there must be a huge demand. Maybe I need to put a bid in for Whistler and see what deal they will do.

I did ask why it was plastic and not metal, but Martin said he had had trouble with metal causing grinding and swarf so made them from plastic and "has no trouble with them".

Really hoping I am just unlucky as I don't want to have to start taking 2 pairs just to get a ski break in.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 16-03-17 17:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Eddy wrote:
I have now used my mojo on two different weeks and have now sorted most of the issues out. I did have to use an allen key on one of the clamps as it had worn loose. Certainly less fatigue in my thighs at the end of each day. I agree about the Salopettes. The one issue I still have is to do with the suspender belt ( I know that is the wrong name for it). I find that the horizontal clip at the front does not stay in position over the webbing. If anyone understands what I am trying to describe , I would be grateful for any advice or comments.

I used Loctite on the clamps at they had always opened up at the end of each day and using the Allen key to tighten everything daily is a pain. Replaced boot clamps now I am convinced they work, with the through boot stud and Loctite so they stayed fastened. All fine apart from the complete blow out of the hinge.

The straps you are taking about will never stay on the webbing and don't give me any problems. The webbing does cover the clips which is where they could rub so ok with that. That was the clip that gave up the ghost on me first time on in anger.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 16-03-17 17:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Steveee, the annoying thing about the new design for attaching to the boot is that hat stud us slightly smaller do need to change that as well. I remain overall pleased i have it but the engineering is rubbish

Not sure the engineering is rubbish i.e. the design. But do agree that 2 trips and 2 breakages (one annoying the other catastrophic) is not a good record here too.

When I read your woes on here I did hope that you had just got a bad set - not so sure now. With no help out in resort and totally relying on them to ski a reasonable amount each day, I do worry that you need a full set of spares to "fix any problem" or just carry a second set Shocked

Will try again next season as they will go in the loft when I get them back.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jake43, when i say engineering i mean the quality of materials and build...But there are also issues with the design that really should have been obvious at the start
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have just had my fourth ski trip using my Ski Mojo. I have a slightly bent, weak right knee due to a problem at birth. The Mojo definitely helps take off some of the pressure and I can now ski for longer each day with a less swollen knee at the end of a week.

However, I have a few niggles with it and was wondering if anyone had any useful advice on how to solve the following issues:

1. The D rings on the webbing belt do not stay vertical - they always get pulled round and end up horizontal.
2. The bandages above and below the hinges constantly slip down, despite them being as tight as I can comfortably get them. I have to find a loo and re-adjust them two or three times a day. If I have to walk to the lift, they will have slipped down before I even begin skiing.
3. Even with the bandages in the correct position, both hinges do not engage when I stand up. I have to take off my skis, straighten each leg as much as possible and give each hinge as a short, sharp knock to engage them before putting my skis back on. The shape of my legs is probably the reason for this, but I was wondering if adjusting the Mojo in some way might solve this issue.

Thanks for any useful advice you can offer. Puzzled Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@FionaG,

D rings...no advice. Same for me. Design flaw IMHO

Bandages...no advice. I wear mine over long johns and they do slip a bit.

Engaging hinges...i have to do the same with my wonky knee. The straight leg engages fine. My mojo was fitted and its the best they could do...i also wear it over a pretty chunky brace so that probably doesn't help
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If the mojo is not engaging then it can, well my model can, be adjusted so that it engages with more of a bent knee than a straight leg.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Frosty the Snowman, mine has veen adjusted as much as possible. Its the brace really
ski holidays
Totally convinced by this product. We fitted it ourselves (hubby and me) on a "painting by numbers" basis ie very much one step at a time, the video on YouTube was not really very helpful. We skiied in Whistler for 3 days while I got used to the Mojo and adjusted the rods a bit and now we are heli skiing and I have just stayed out all day for the first time in 5 years. So much less puffed, using so much less energy and having no issues with the Mojo in operation and even when I finally fell over (joining the group waiting for the heli to take us back at the end of the day) because I was basically pooped it was relatively easy to get up and get myself together again. I am a convert!
snow report
Lots of useful information on this thread. I was fortunate to manage to ski without using a Mojo this year. I found out that the shop I rented skis from in Tignes was offering a Mojo for rent. A good way to try out the device before committing to buying.
ski holidays
intermediate wrote:
Lots of useful information on this thread. I was fortunate to manage to ski without using a Mojo this year. I found out that the shop I rented skis from in Tignes was offering a Mojo for rent. A good way to try out the device before committing to buying.

A great idea but they do not seem to have many sales places/agents near a ski resort yet.
snow report
@intermediate, which shop?
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, Duch Sports in Tignes 2100 (Le Lac) had a mojo for hire. Shop is on Rue de la Poste, quite close to Palafour lift. I think they said it was 40 euros to rent for one day, including individual fitting and adjustment. They advised about 15 minutes to fit. I regret not trying it now. We found staff in the shop very helpful with our ski rental.

I think it would be useful to have a directory of places that rent out ski mojos.
snow report
I'm told Surefoot in Courchevel 1850 have them and rent them out.
ski holidays
A friend looked at these and wound up trying a new piece of kit called Againer .... in St Anton in January .... he rented for the week and then bought it and has skied 3 weeks this year using it.
It's like an exoskeleton frame ..... looks a bit weird and certainly gets noticed (he wishes he was on commission !) .... he thinks it's superb.
www.againer-ski.com
latest report
@PBJ, €799 Shocked
ski holidays
The Againer seems to do the same job as the Mojo and is apparently much more expensive! The Againer also seems to be much more complicated to assemble and requires gas in its spring mechanism I wonder how this works and how it gets replaced when it runs out also how would airlines feel about gas refills.
snow report
Marcus thinks it's money well spent !
Simple to put on and the gas is just air pumped in so no issues there AFAIK
ski holidays
I bought ski-mojos for my wife and they have been a great buy.
That said she has a love/hate relationship with them (needs them but dislikes all the straps and faff). The againer looks a lot simpler and neater. If it is as effective in use but easier to put on and wear then I would consider the price premium reasonable.

@PBJ, did your friend compare them in use to mojos before he bought?
latest report
Steveee wrote:
Should have kept quiet! Clip holding bottom rod to main part of mojo disappeared today! No spares for that, means it has to be returned for repair Twisted Evil
Good news is the clip is not a key part of the mojo, I.e. just stops rod dropping out of sleeve so I can continue to use the mojo for last 2 days of holiday. Disappointed it failed after 2 seasons, but them my wife's is going strong after 6+ seasons and has the same type of clip.

Martin sent me a new set of clips so all fixed ready for next season. I have reminded him that he promised to start selling spare/replacement parts for this season. As I'm off on two long trips, keep to get spares. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
intermediate wrote:
...I think it would be useful to have a directory of places that rent out ski mojos.

There are some details on the Ski~Mojo France site: http://www.ski-mojo.fr/testit/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ive not had a problem with any parts breaking on mine. But i have made a slight modification, Ive put some tape on one leg of them so I can more easily tell port from starboard. I did manage to have pair on wrong once. Id like it more if there was less velcro around my bits.

I was considering letting my son attach them to motocross boots, it could be interesting.
latest report
Just spotted that Martin has finally introduced spares on the skimojo website.

One of the complaints many of us have had is the way the harness clip twists. There is a new design, but this is £48, you also need to buy new top rods but these are not listed Mad I've emailed him to ask when these will be available and whether the new posture belt replaces the plastic D ring.
ski holidays
@Steveee, good to know. Keep updating please
ski holidays
No positive reply from Martin on the above questions, so I assume the answer is no, but there are a few more spares listed under the mk3, including the cam lever and associated bracket.
snow report
Just bought some spares from new spares site and got reply from Martin saying he’d just packed them. Super service.
latest report
Interesting experiment today. I forgot to put my mojos on this morning. Skied hard and fast... for me...keeping up with the boys and including the black world cup run at Schladming for the first time. Conditions were lovely, no bumps and nice and grippy as temps kept at 0. My dodgy knee is a bit achey but my left knee is fine. When i started using them i didn't have the leg strength that i do now. I may not bother with them on similar days

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 12-01-18 7:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@holidayloverxx, snowHead
snow conditions
Starting to think that some parts are just too fragile. On day 4 in Park City I slipped on icy decking (not even skiing Embarassed Embarassed ) and landed on the outside of my right knee. Clip holding bottom rod smashed. Not a major problem (I thought as I have purchased spares) until I realised the flange at the bottom of the plastic case over the spring had also broken Evil or Very Mad That means it needs to be returned for repair.

I appreciate this was a freak accident, but it's probably the 3rd breakage in the last 3 years. That being said, touch wood, my wife's mojo has only had one issue in 6 years - that was an issue with the stitching breaking on the old belt.
snow report
The Velcro on one of the calf straps is coming away on mine
snow conditions
Ski Mojo posted for repair and arrived with Martin on 27th Feb. It would have been back on 2nd Mar but because of bad weather, arrived todat, 5th Mar. Quick turnaround. I'm testing it in Tignes from 10th Mar Very Happy
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, do you think using the mojo has helped or have you just become fitter due to injury recovery, training etc.?

I have a hole in my MCL and and I am thinking about using a mojo for the rest of season whilst it recovers. I also have OA in both knees.

Just wondering if you thought using it improved your issues?
snow report
@lynnecha, i am much fitter due to training. That said i forgot to put them on in january to no ill effect and i skied hard to keep up with the boys. That was the Thursday so i didnt bother on the Friday. Again no problems...but i paid for it for the following 2 weeks. Creaky achey knees. I am wearing them this week
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy